• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

hollywood no longer original

Adora

there is no end of remakes anymore it is basically like Hollywood have lost their creativity and I also wonder instead of these remakes and retellings there are probably so many books that are yet to be made into movies that could be potential hits what do you think? do you think it's time Hollywood start looking elsewhere for inspiration?

I agree, and I've seen others who have talked about this 'lack of originality' as well. Here's the Nostalgia Critic giving his points of view on it (The video came out in May 2015 and contains some bad language, so just be aware):

IMO much of Hollywood isn't interested in creativity or inspiration. Only number-crunching. The major studios are sticking like glue to what they consider to be proven box-office formulas, recycling plot lines of the past rather than gambling on entirely new material. Very sad, but it brings in revenue in a more predictable manner in a stagnant global economy. Not to mention they tend to primarily pander to only one demographic. People 18 to 39 years old.

In a nutshell I wouldn't expect this approach to change unless the economy improves substantially, where Hollywood studios are willing to take risks and produce quality productions to a broader audience.

But for now, expect no-name actors in the lead and lots of CGI/special effects. It's no accident in terms of being cost-effective. Just like it's no accident Will Smith wasn't in the most recent sequel to "Independence Day". They can't afford him.

Last edited:
Hollywood does have it's stagnate moments. Sadly though, it been really stagnate for over 20 years now with no relief in sight, and even though CG and special effects have greatly improved. Story telling had really gone down the toilet. Hollywood did have a really stagnate time in the 70's until Star Wars came around and shook things up a bit. I was hoping that Avatar would shake things up a bit, and although it was a major mile stone in visual effects, the story really left a lot to be desired.

I'm sick of comic book and game adaptations myself. I'm rather disgusted with the 'film' industry today. It costs an arm and a leg now, is likely to increase more, and I would not be surprised to see commercial intermissions start to appear. The only recent movies I care to see are 'Unbroken' and 'Free State of Jones', and I will wait until they are available via streaming. Those high paid pretty people are not worth the price in my opinion.

Wait. There are sequels to Independence Day?

I need to get out more.

A sequel came out this year called Independence Day: Resurgence (basically the aliens from the first film coming back for 'Round 2', so to speak), with a second sequel apparently in the works. Like a lot of Roland's work, the movie has good/great CGI but is pretty lackluster in the story/script department.

That's insane. It's been nearly twenty years since the first one. We really are in a lull when it comes to film quality.

But then, Hollywood has always been like this. For instance, The Wizard of Oz has been adapted in the double digits:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/epicreads/...r-may-not-8yaf?utm_term=.roPxKgxZa#.roPxKgxZa

Many silent films were remade as silent films as better actors or directors became available, and then when sound came in, there was a frenzy of remakes from silent to sound.

Both during the silent and early sound eras, the sequel system was in full force with "chapter stories" like Buck Rogers and Commander Cody and even Batman (oh, you have to see this one to believe it, it is a favorite of my husband and I.)

During the heyday of Turner Classic Movies (some of the library has been spun off and it is not the same) they would mention how the stories were adapted and re-adapted and re-titled. Classic literature breaks out in Hollywood for each generation: The Great Gatsby alone was made six times. And never done right. :)

Now we have the added complication of global distribution, often to places who are not native speakers of the movies in question. So they need things that transcend language, like simple plots, people falling in love, and things blowing up real good.

On the other hand, the Indie film offers have never been so rich. I used to belong to a film club which had to lease the theater and the movies. Now, it's a mouse click away, and ANYONE can make and distribute their movie.

It's flat awesome.

But then, Hollywood has always been like this. For instance, The Wizard of Oz has been adapted in the double digits:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/epicreads/...r-may-not-8yaf?utm_term=.roPxKgxZa#.roPxKgxZa

Many silent films were remade as silent films as better actors or directors became available, and then when sound came in, there was a frenzy of remakes from silent to sound.

Both during the silent and early sound eras, the sequel system was in full force with "chapter stories" like Buck Rogers and Commander Cody and even Batman (oh, you have to see this one to believe it, it is a favorite of my husband and I.)

During the heyday of Turner Classic Movies (some of the library has been spun off and it is not the same) they would mention how the stories were adapted and re-adapted and re-titled. Classic literature breaks out in Hollywood for each generation: The Great Gatsby alone was made six times. And never done right. :)

Now we have the added complication of global distribution, often to places who are not native speakers of the movies in question. So they need things that transcend language, like simple plots, people falling in love, and things blowing up real good.

On the other hand, the Indie film offers have never been so rich. I used to belong to a film club which had to lease the theater and the movies. Now, it's a mouse click away, and ANYONE can make and distribute their movie.

It's flat awesome.
True there are always been some remakes in the past,Ben Hur also comes to mind since the Charlton Heston one was actually a remake of the 1920s silent movie version and there is a new Ben Hur coming out this month to the pictures but while they may have been around for years they haven't been as frequent and as much as it is now,at least in the past they may have been a few remakes but there were more original stories coming out as well now it seems that every single blockbuster that is released is a remake or its now getting to the point of remakes of remakes,I know that eventually the trend will die down and maybe then they could look at some books that could be the next blockbuster because I feel there could be tons of great stories whether it is sci fi,fantasy,drama,romance etc that could make wonderful movies if done right.

I know that eventually the trend will die down and maybe then they could look at some books that could be the next blockbuster because I feel there could be tons of great stories whether it is sci fi,fantasy,drama,romance etc that could make wonderful movies if done right.

You are also right that this is a low point in the cycle. When they start making movies based on board games, you ask yourself, "Didn't they have anything better?"

Well, they likely did, but it is is also the studio executives who choose to make these things. Ironman 7 is a series, so it has a track record they can plug into a spreadsheet for a PowerPoint slide at the meeting. Some brand new concept does not.

Which is why getting something different out there is so difficult.

And some of them were never told right in the first place. Never was fond of Jeremiah Johnson, but it is a highly cleaned up version of Liver Eatin' Johnson. Which is far more interesting :)

Smh @ The current trend of doing remakes or reboots of old franchises, especially when in most cases the remake is rubbish compared to the original, for example the 2014 remake of Robocop, the original was a classic ahead of its time when it was released back in 1987, but the remake had most of the violence removed and had none of the gratuitous swearing that was a big part of the story of the original movie. Also, the latest Star Wars, the Force Awakens, felt more like a reboot of Episode IV than a proper sequel to Return of the Jedi IMO.

Also, this might not be a popular opinion but having grew up with the original series of Battlestar Galactica, the remake was pants in comparison IMO.

Last edited:
I think Netflix has a lot of original ideas. I like their shows. They are creative and entertaining

Sent from my SM-G920P using AspiesCentral.com mobile app
Agreed. The best "entertainment" I've seen has come from television or streaming services. Given the cost of going to the movies these days (I recently spent over $30 for a 1-man trip!) it's no surprise that people would rather stay in and browse their options. You might be a season or two behind, but honestly, who cares?! When I was a child I was super sad when Mr. Hooper (from Sesame Street) died...never mind that he died several years before I was born. Before I moved back home, I had a Netflix subscription, and I saw some pretty mind-blowing original content from them.

New Threads

Top Bottom