• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

HOA and other concerns when renovating your property

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
So far, I have found two good candidates for a future homestead; one of them is located in a really good place, (near a bus stop and a larger town) and has good features that I want like a wood stove and some already-planted fruit trees. However this particular property was built as sort of a high-quality, “dreamy” ideal home, and is located in similar-themed neighborhood; I’m concerned that if I start planting crops, and building chicken coops, beehives, a goat stable and the like, the HOA will step in and stop me, saying that my homestead goes against the theme of their neighborhood and brings down the property value. Is it possible for me to make the case that I’ll make my farm more appealing? Hide it behind the trees (the property seems to be heavily forested) and make it more horticultural-looking than agricultural? How should I deal with the HOA, and what other communal concerns should I be aware of when planning to turn a property into a homestead?

You should try and get a copy of the HOA rules and see if you can comply with them. If not keep looking for a more suitable property.

While keeping chickens and goats may be laudable to some, others don't want to live near them (smells, noise etc.)

I've heard that some of those HOA can be very dogmatic with their rules and as a newcomer to the area you aren't likely to be in any position to change them.

I wouldn’t even bother looking at living in an HOA, since, from my own experience, the HOA officials tend to be egomaniacal, narcissistic control freaks, even though I kept an extremely low profile, like I do now. I’ve been public, elder housing for aver a year, and I still don’t know my neighbors (and frankly, I don’t want to know them.)

I’d look for a Farmette in a nearby rural setting. (I would myself, except south central PA, over the past 55 years, has been seeing a massive influx from Bawlmer, Warshington, Filthydelphia and, to a lesser extent, Picksburgh. Besides, I could never hold onto a buck for any length of time.)

Avoid HOAs at all costs. Just don't go there. Costs are high (have you looked at HOA fees? They can amount to a second mortgage payment!) and HOAs are a pain in the butt.

Having once been a member of an HOA in owning a condominium in California, like others here I'd say that if you value your freedom of action and property, you'll avoid any HOA like the plague.

They are not people you negotiate with at all. You simply comply- or else in accordance with a contract that works against you more than for you.

Consider yourself warned. "Run Forrest Run!" :eek:

Last edited:
Having once been a member of an HOA in owning a condominium in California, like others here I'd say that if you value your freedom of action and property, you'll avoid any HOA like the plague.

They are not people you negotiate with at all. You simply comply- or else in accordance with a contract that works against you more than for you.

Consider yourself warned. "Run Forrest Run!" :eek:

And my understanding is that they can and do change like the wind too. You move into a place with a super cool HOA that lets you have your animals and do what you want? Well, next board election rolls around and you have to pay hefty fines and have it all ripped out within 30 days.

HOA- read and scan the rules. But keep in mind, If they miss a rule and you do it, with enough complaints they can amend it .

good luck. ;)

Don't mind if I ask but HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO HOMESTEAD A PIECE OF PROPERTY THAT HAS AN H.O.A ATTACHED TO IT? I've never herd of such a thing and never knew that was even possible. Properties that have an HOA are usually already incorporated in and are sold as a predefined parcel of land. Are you sure that you are not misusing the word "homestead"? Buying a parcel of already "deaded" land is not called homesteading.

HOA's aren't all that bad really. They do help keep neighborhoods looking nice, keep crime low and keep property values up. but I will say that the aren't for everybody, that's for sure and of you are into the fallowing things. Then an HOA is absolutely not for you.

Raising horses/farm animals.
Gardening/Growing food or other things.
hording/leaving a mess and not taking care of the yard.
Into custom exterior paint and design on your house.
Taking apart and fixing cars in your driveway/yard.
Ham/Amateur radio, i,e, Putting up antennas.

I can tell you right now that there is no HOA in the world that will allow the fallowing activities on your property. So if your wanting to do what is on this list then a HOA is a BIG NO! NO!!

Don't mind if I ask but HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO HOMESTEAD A PIECE OF PROPERTY THAT HAS AN H.O.A ATTACHED TO IT? I've never herd of such a thing and never knew that was even possible. Properties that have an HOA are usually already incorporated in and are sold as a predefined parcel of land. Are you sure that you are not misusing the word "homestead"? Buying a parcel of already "deaded" land is not called homesteading.
I don’t know if it has an HOA or not, it’s a piece of property that has 9.59 acres and thus, could make a good homestead if I were allowed to make it into one.

I don’t know if it has an HOA or not, it’s a piece of property that has 9.59 acres and thus, could make a good homestead if I were allowed to make it into one.

With that many acres, probably not (though there may be other local regulations limiting what you can and cannot do with the land). Definitely find out all of the regulations before you buy a place - you don't want to get caught by surprise later!

New Threads

Top Bottom