• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hilarious Moment at the Therapists

Table

So I joined this forum a few months ago seeking advice. I had an idea that I might be autistic and was nervous about bringing it up to my family.
I went to my therapist as suggested and today we finally decided it was time to just do it. Ask about getting tested.

I bring my mom in and I let my therapist start. She goes, “so
thinks they might have autism”

My mom instantly goes, “Yeah we thought so. We just never got them tested because it wasn’t a problem”

My parents all this time have believed that I’m on the spectrum and just decided not to do anything. I’m not mad, I think their decision to not do anything is fine, it’s just hilarious to be that I was worried they would disagree or fight with me about this and nope. They already thought so too.

I hope someone else thought this was funny too.

A lot of auties seem to "catastrophize" or worry about the worst case scenario. In fact I think it's cool that your mom simply didn't think that your autism was a big deal, I wish more moms thought that way instead of trying to use their kids for virtue signaling or trying to fix them. Of course that also means that you were never taught to scream BUT BUT I HAVE AUTISM!!!!!!!! every time you screwed up as a way of deflecting personal responsibility. So, a lot better situation than many people. Of course, whether to be tested is ultimately up to you, I'm not a big fan of tests, as you can see in my sig.

I think it's hilarious!!! :D I imagine all the over-thinking up to the day, the discussions with the therapist about it.. and BAM. "Me too" :cool:

I think it's hilarious!!! :D I imagine all the over-thinking up to the day, the discussions with the therapist about it.. and BAM. "Me too" :cool:

It was a fantastic surprise. It also felt confirming because I knew the people who had watched me as a baby agreed with my own logic.

The situation as a whole? Downright silly. I know how you were feeling about the rejection too since it's exactly what happened with my mom. It's nice that we get to laugh at things that happen in the moment and don't have to wait until 40 years have passed to see how funny something was.

I know how you were feeling about the rejection too since it's exactly what happened with my mom.

Personally it doesn’t feel like rejection. To be fair to them I’ve gotten all the way to 16 before I decided I need to say anything. I managed to adjust myself pretty well. So the response of “it wasn’t an issue” is correct, the only things my parents really had to deal with were my dislike for physical contact and some very specific tastes.
I’m just glad that (at least) my mom is open to getting me tested now so I can finally get confirmation.

Weirdly, i just this past week broached the subject with my mom. I expected denial and dismissal of the whole idea. Instead I got.... kinda nothing. She just listened and seemed to agree by way of not disagreeing! It really does explain so many things that didnt make sense before knowing about being on the spectrum. I like having a medical/neurological reason for the things about me that so bother others!

Personally it doesn’t feel like rejection. To be fair to them I’ve gotten all the way to 16 before I decided I need to say anything. I managed to adjust myself pretty well. So the response of “it wasn’t an issue” is correct, the only things my parents really had to deal with were my dislike for physical contact and some very specific tastes.
I’m just glad that (at least) my mom is open to getting me tested now so I can finally get confirmation.
I meant this by: my mom rejected the idea and made a big deal out of me knowing I have autism, which is exactly what I expected.

Knowing that you are on the spectrum while you are young is very beneficial. As someone who never knew, I find I wasted a lot of time and effort trying to be like everyone else, unaware of the ASD influences governing my thought process and emotions. I could have saved myself a lot of heartache and disappointment if I had known what ASD was and how it supports or limits abilities. Of greater importance is having an understanding of how an environment sets off ADD and that maintaining predictable schedules was a necessary component to developing the focus skills necessary to get through the demands of school, extracurricular activities, and some kind of social life. As a child, I was expected to do everything that everyone else was doing. That required serious guidance that was lacking in my environment. I had freedom, and I was known to be responsible. What could possibly go wrong?

All of us on the spectrum make an issue out of it because we are reminded constantly that ASD is with us. The rest of the world doesn't care, so we have to manage our lives with some very specific support systems in place. I had none. I was like a pinball machine ricocheting all over the place, just to get through the day. I never knew what I could count on, nor did I understand where gloom and doom was lurking. I became used to failure and confusion, but I kept doing what I was supposed to do because I was always loyal and obedient. This way of living taxed my energy and my confidence over and over again. It made me feel like a dummy. I had real problems that needed real solutions. The first thought being "know your weaknesses".

Knowing you are on the spectrum is worthless if you don't understand what to do about it. It's there and it's forever. Now what? ASD is only a problem when your perceived abilities fail you. You manage life better when you are aware of your strengths and your weaknesses. I think the best lessons for someone on the spectrum is to understand what brings you joy, and what brings you pain. Even a hiker wants to know the length of the trail and the elevation of incline to measure their challenges before they set out. Anyone on the spectrum has to learn to think this way. There are some trails that should never be attempted.

You have an advantage in life if you are keenly aware of what ASD is to you and how it impacts on your life goals and interests. I, for one, accepted life challenges without knowing my limitations. That facilitated my thoughts of a life of adventure and unique experiences, but it was extremely difficult at times. I felt that I was making the same mistakes over and over again. I never understood why. Now, I wish I had known so that I could have avoided those potholes, barriers, obstacles, and wasted energy. If I had known, I would not have had the experiences that I find intriguing and exciting. In this respect I would agree with the saying "innocence is bliss". I tested myself and I found a lot of limitations. But, as a pinball machine, I keep ricocheting. I don't recommend it. It's tiring.

Being aware of serious conditions that require serious consideration is an advantage that should be taken seriously. We are not victims. We live with conditions that we can tolerate if we give them proper attention. The NT world has its own uphill battles too. Different game, different rules. Nobody with ASD should ever feel ashamed. Some people take the highway. I prefer the back roads because the scenery is more interesting. Learn to love your difference.

New Threads

Top Bottom