• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Highly considering quitting my job

AngelWings17

I've applied for a wait staff position at the Red Arrow Diner down the street from my house. It's a quaint little place and the environment feels relaxed. If I get the job and I'm getting a consistent schedule, then I'm putting in my two weeks at Cracker Barrel. It's the worst place to work, especially for someone on the spectrum. The retail store is understimulating and the restaurant is overstimulating, same with the kitchen and dish room. I hate it. I'm quitting the first chance I get.

I guess I'm lacking details. Would there be a pay cut involved? Why would she have a problem with it as long as you are still working and making money?
While it's true that I'm not making any money by only working a max 2 shifts a week, she doesn't want me to quit as they "might still need me for weekends."

Well if I've got a consistent schedule at Red Arrow, and they have me on at least 5 days including weekends, then what's the point in staying at CB if they only ever schedule me for two 4 hour shifts a week. On weekends.

While it's true that I'm not making any money by only working a max 2 shifts a week, she doesn't want me to quit as they "might still need me for weekends."

Well if I've got a consistent schedule at Red Arrow, and they have me on at least 5 days including weekends, then what's the point in staying at CB if they only ever schedule me for two 4 hour shifts a week. On weekends.
This sounds like a no-brainer to me. Have you presented this case to your mother?

No, I haven't. I usually don't talk to my mom about work or life-related issues. I feel like she doesn't get me.
That might be a good start, then. I can't give any general advice, and don't have much information (and I won't ask), but for this specific situation maybe you can try to outline the situation as I mentioned.

What the world at large can understand is how tough the job market is. Often meaning that you never quit one job without having another.

However the world at large doesn't understand the stress we on the spectrum have to deal with in doing jobs we have that aren't necessarily cut out for.

Yeah. I've made those very tough decisions before to quit a job based on the toll it took on me...even when I had no job lined up. I get that. At least in your case you've got something in mind. Hope you can make it all happen, and on your terms- not your mother's.

What the world at large can understand is how tough the job market is. Often meaning that you never quit one job without having another.

However the world at large doesn't understand the stress we on the spectrum have to deal with in doing jobs we have that aren't necessarily cut out for.

Yeah. I've made those very tough decisions before to quit a job based on the toll it took on me...even when I had no job lined up. I get that. At least in your case you've got something in mind. Hope you can make it all happen, and on your terms- not your mother's.
I'm just hoping to get a call back from Red Arrow telling me they'd like to interview me. I would like a job there. The server my group had last night was so awesome! He kept checking in to make sure we were all okay. And he fixed every little error that was made. I can tell that the staff there enjoy their jobs. I would have been more observant, had my anxiety not caused me to need my music.

Good luck, I hope you get the job. If you're not enjoying your current job then it's best to quit, whatever your mum says. It's you that has to work there, not your mum.

I've applied for a wait staff position at the Red Arrow Diner down the street from my house. It's a quaint little place and the environment feels relaxed. If I get the job and I'm getting a consistent schedule, then I'm putting in my two weeks at Cracker Barrel. It's the worst place to work, especially for someone on the spectrum. The retail store is understimulating and the restaurant is overstimulating, same with the kitchen and dish room. I hate it. I'm quitting the first chance I get.

I hope you get that job! I can see your point. Folks that come into Cracker Barrel, I gather, are probably not the most patient of types. I give you all of the kudos in the world for being able to work in the restaurant industry. For me, the demands would cause me to lock up completely.

morning-thoughts.jpg

Jumping on the "I understand working at a job that is soul-sucking" bandwagon.

Sending you lots of good vibes and hoping that you can get this job. And stay on the lookout for other good fits in the meantime, too :)

I've found that it's easier to justify quitting your current job (both to yourself and to others) if you have another one lined up to take its place. Best wishes for you, I hope you're able to move up and on from an unpleasant environment, and that your mom is supportive.

New Threads

Top Bottom