• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi

broken

At the risk of boring you with my life story, I won't. But I am nearly 40 and have become pretty certain over the past 7ish days, after a lot of research online, remembering incidents from my past, looking at how I am now and how I have been historically that I feature on the spectrum. Aspie and high functioning spring to mind, if they aren't pc now then I apologise. I do feel that my difficulties are worsening though, or I have become a lot more in tune with myself over the past few months through daily meditation, perhaps both.

Case in point, my worsening difficulties aside for a moment, as I am uncertain as to whether they are, what in your opinion/s would be the benefits if any of a late diagnosis? (Having been mistreated for depression for years, false promises of cbt, disappearing notes/history etc I am wary about taking up another battle with the NHS in the UK which I will probably lose, or be forgotten about, again.

P.S I used to be a successful retail manager now I work in a factory and have been passed over on numerous occasions with interviews for a permanent contract, I'm unsure as to why, or am I? I am articulate and polite, quiet yes but will engage when spoken too. I won't lie but I work harder than 90% of the people in there and have had recommendations for employment from x2 members of permanent staff, whom have historically never recommended anyone so go figure......Some days people are much more of an effort than others and my eyes will be anywhere but meeting theirs, for the whole of the conversation at least. I can quite "happily" work 12 hours on a line without saying a word. (I'll stop here because I could easily bore you for days with, well, indicators I suppose)

Thanks in advance for your time I appreciate it unreservedly

Not really an introduction either haha my names Al from the UK

upload_2020-1-28_7-34-13.png

Welcome Al. A late diagnosis helped me to understand myself better. Usually that's all you'll get. There are no meds or treatments that will alleviate the troubles you face if it is ASD. Some meds could balance you out A LITTLE. Therapy may help.
Good luck!

Thanks Tom, yeah I figured as you have said but thankyou, I'm on meds for depression anyway so I doubt that my prescription would change and I don't need anti psychotics. Thankyou for the warm welcome all

Welcome Al. A late diagnosis helped me to understand myself better. Usually that's all you'll get. ...Therapy may help.

Agreed.

I was diagnosed at 48. It helped me to realize that I've been "reading the wrong owner's manual" for most of my life - trying to fit in and function like everyone else when that's not what works best for me. My diagnosis has opened me up to trying different ways to work and be, which work better for me. It has also helped me understand a lot of past experiences.

Welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed late too (60). It gives you an idea how better to manage yourself. You won't get any special services out of it, at this point in your life. As to the promotions missed, that is a very common experience for working autistic folks. Employers are willing to exploit your labor at an entry level, but don't hope to join the NT (neurotypical) club. Sometimes a better strategy is to build up a credible length of work history at one company, then seek jobs elsewhere giving your reason as "limited opportunity for advancement."

Yeah thanks Gad and Rex the self discovery and understanding part I am well on the way with thanks to my meditative regime of late (which I hope to continue if not improve). Also I find writing very cathartic too. Yeah the modern work ethic leaves a lot to be desired but I am keeping my options open by looking around. The company I work for has some renown for being pretty awful, but big square footage-wise. Thanks for the responses and welcomes much appreciated.

Hiya Al! Welcome to the forums! :)
Also a late realizer here.. Figured this out just last year (at 40). Really helps put a lot of the past in perspective.. :)

Thanks Roc and Var I love looking at the texture on acrylic pieces, nice work. Lots to be drawn into and create your own illusions with, definitely Var I have been realising a great many things these past few days and realise just how much I used to drink and perhaps, now realise why. There's a lot to be said about being drunk (socially) 5 nights a week and still being drunk in work most often, then hungover, then most times slept a lot for my 2 days off. I think that and other err, extra curricular activities whilst drinking helped mask this sh*t for nigh on 20 years (the drinking i got down to 2-3 times a week, always socially too). It's pretty sobering going through this and looking at the nothing I have to show for 40 years turmoil other than I have outlived most people I've cared about, with the exception of 2 people. Hmm that got deep quick, oops

Thanks Roc and Var I love looking at the texture on acrylic pieces, nice work. Lots to be drawn into and create your own illusions with, definitely Var I have been realising a great many things these past few days and realise just how much I used to drink and perhaps, now realise why. There's a lot to be said about being drunk (socially) 5 nights a week and still being drunk in work most often, then hungover, then most times slept a lot for my 2 days off. I think that and other err, extra curricular activities whilst drinking helped mask this sh*t for nigh on 20 years (the drinking i got down to 2-3 times a week, always socially too). It's pretty sobering going through this and looking at the nothing I have to show for 40 years turmoil other than I have outlived most people I've cared about, with the exception of 2 people. Hmm that got deep quick, oops

That's what these forums are for.. Great place to unmask and share your experiences, I've found..
Fortunately, I managed to avoid using drugs or alcohol for the most part as a coping mechanism.. Not that there weren't times it would have been tempting, so I understand how you ended up there for sure..
But, I find most people that go that route end up feeling like they've missed out on a lot of life when they look back later.. I don't want to ever feel that way.

I am making changes and I do regret a lot, although I am getting better at that, every moment in our lives brought us to this point in time right? At the time I wasn't in the right frame of mind to succeed so perhaps I did the right thing by attempting to lobotomise myself 5 nights a week with alcohol and narcotics, I think that's what I'll tell myself. Life begins at 40, I hope...

New Threads

Top Bottom