• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi!

Samuel Deboni

Hi, I'm 20 and I think that maybe I have Asperger, but I'm not sure.

First I like to say that I have difficulties communicating with text, I think too much if the what I'm writing is correct and how other people will perceive, so It's takes a long time for me to write even a small email. And the fact that English isn't my first language makes this even harder, but I'm doing my best here.

Everything started when I saw a youtube video from the channel Asperger from the inside with the title "Are You Autistic? 25 Questions To Ask Yourself!", and I started to think that maybe I am autistic. After that I started to research about the topic and I discovered the AQ test, my score was 37 but It was late and I decided to do it again in the next day and my score was 34, that was 2 weeks ago and today I did it again ans my score was 39.

I'm being think a lot, I'm looking back to my childhood and analysing my behavior, and the more I do the more I find myself in the spectrum.

I always had issues with food, mainly with the texture, but also smell and looks. I don't like to mix food, everything in my plate has to be separate. I don't like onions nor garlic, I cannot stand the smell of potato salad nor vinegar. I can't eat cold food, except for food that is supposed to be cold, like ice cream. I don't eat that much because hunger usually doesn't bother me.

I never liked to wear hats, and when for a time I decided to wear one to university, because my hair was to messy, I got headaches and I stoped wearing hats. I cut the tags of all my shirts, and I thought that everyone did the same thing, and thinking why it was on there the first place, since it would be cut.

I don't like loud places, but I can tolerate it for some time.
I don't like bright lights, but is I can tolerate it for some time.
I'm always fidgeting or taping, and when my hands are occupied I start to move my feet.

And the big thing is my lack social skills. I can have conversations with people that I already know, but when I'm in big groups I find harder to know what to say but I usually manage, even when managing mean not talking at all, just being there. But when I have to talk to someone that I don't already know things get really hard, when I was younger I could not even do simple things like getting something with the neighbor for my mom. I always thought that I was shy, but that didn't make sense because I'm not shy with my friends, I actually can talk quite a lot about thing that interest me. Then I started to think that maybe was social anxiety, but I never considered autism.

Now everything is making more sense, even that feeling of being strange or different, but somehow still I'm not sure that I have autism, I'm think I am gonna try to get a official diagnoses. And I think that for the time being, sharing with the community will help me to figure out some things.

upload_2020-1-21_18-35-51.png

Welcome to the forums! Your English is quite good, so don't stress too much about it! You sound kind of similar to me, but then again we all share similarities, whether we are on the spectrum or off it.
It's best to seek a professional diagnosis, so you hopefully don't have to guess anymore.
Good luck.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Welcome to the Forum

Your experience sounds familiar. There are threads about getting a diagnosis here or being self diagnosed (which some people choose to do).

Do have a look around at the various threads and I m sure you will find stuff that is of interest and help to you.

Hi, I'm 20 and I think that maybe I have Asperger, but I'm not sure.

First I like to say that I have difficulties communicating with text, I think too much if the what I'm writing is correct and how other people will perceive, so It's takes a long time for me to write even a small email. And the fact that English isn't my first language makes this even harder, but I'm doing my best here.

Everything started when I saw a youtube video from the channel Asperger from the inside with the title "Are You Autistic? 25 Questions To Ask Yourself!", and I started to think that maybe I am autistic. After that I started to research about the topic and I discovered the AQ test, my score was 37 but It was late and I decided to do it again in the next day and my score was 34, that was 2 weeks ago and today I did it again ans my score was 39.

I'm being think a lot, I'm looking back to my childhood and analysing my behavior, and the more I do the more I find myself in the spectrum.

I always had issues with food, mainly with the texture, but also smell and looks. I don't like to mix food, everything in my plate has to be separate. I don't like onions nor garlic, I cannot stand the smell of potato salad nor vinegar. I can't eat cold food, except for food that is supposed to be cold, like ice cream. I don't eat that much because hunger usually doesn't bother me.

I never liked to wear hats, and when for a time I decided to wear one to university, because my hair was to messy, I got headaches and I stoped wearing hats. I cut the tags of all my shirts, and I thought that everyone did the same thing, and thinking why it was on there the first place, since it would be cut.

I don't like loud places, but I can tolerate it for some time.
I don't like bright lights, but is I can tolerate it for some time.
I'm always fidgeting or taping, and when my hands are occupied I start to move my feet.

And the big thing is my lack social skills. I can have conversations with people that I already know, but when I'm in big groups I find harder to know what to say but I usually manage, even when managing mean not talking at all, just being there. But when I have to talk to someone that I don't already know things get really hard, when I was younger I could not even do simple things like getting something with the neighbor for my mom. I always thought that I was shy, but that didn't make sense because I'm not shy with my friends, I actually can talk quite a lot about thing that interest me. Then I started to think that maybe was social anxiety, but I never considered autism.

Now everything is making more sense, even that feeling of being strange or different, but somehow still I'm not sure that I have autism, I'm think I am gonna try to get a official diagnoses. And I think that for the time being, sharing with the community will help me to figure out some things.
Hi and welcome to the forum... Just reading what other people say does help me a lot with my son. I think you will enjoy it here. I do and have learned so much.

New Threads

Top Bottom