• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi there

puzzlingbill

Definitely Someone
Well, if I used "Hi" or "New member" for the title, someone might think that's lame because it's been done too many times. So I'd better look at all the thread titles on this and the other aspie site to see if there's one that hasn't been used yet or at least not over-used. Then there's the whole question of can I use the same introduction on both sites -- would someone think that's sort of cheating? And should I leave in the behind the curtain stuff? Damn this is complicated. Can't win on the thread title so go with something basic, post the same on both sites and leave in the behind the curtain stuff. Now all I have to do is look relaxed with a friendly smile, but I'll probably do the stone face instead.

Hi there! (waves)

I took one of those online aspie tests in August and my score was the cutoff number -- if you're this number or above you're in the spectrum. So I'm right on the line. That helps explain how I could get to be 65 before figuring that out about myself. I don't have any of the more ovious non-standard behaviors, plus, when I was young, the autism spectrum wasn't a Thing yet. So, not different enough to be noticed, but different enough that everything has always seemed a little off. I've had a lot of 'yeah me too' moments and 'so THAT's why I'm so bad at that' moments reading the forums. So I think of myself as very definitely possibly an aspie. It doesn't matter to me which side of the line I'm on.

I've known for a long time that my brain is wired differently from most people. I even came up with a joke that I've gotten a lot of mileage out of over the years: In high school, in math class there were 35 people; 33 of them hated it and there were 2 who thought it was fun -- I was one of the 2. It's been a relief to find out that at least some of my failures can be attributed to an undiagnosed condition. I have a better idea of what I'm up against; I'm here for help on how to deal with it. Knowing this sooner would have helped with the depression and the substance abuse.

Everyone, or just about, is non-standard in some way. Most people can walk around, but some need a wheelchair or a cane, and others can't walk very far. These non-standard people need to learn how to deal with a world that wasn't designed with them in mind. Some people are non-standard because they're attracted to the same gender instead of the opposite. For these people, it can be dangerous not to learn how to deal with the standard world. This site is for people who are non-standard because of the way our brains are wired. We have our own set of challenges to deal with. We can help each other deal with them by sharing our non-standard experiences.

hi_there.jpg

..........................................................................................................:)

Ha, yeah, that's my mentality in a nutshell too. It's not that I want to be necessarily original, I just want to be less predictable. I believe my opening line was "Salutations and hailstones". "Hail" is of course a type of greeting so it's like my throwing hello rocks at people. Haha.....yeah. I thought it was different. Ramble, ramble, ramble, insert laughter.

Hi!

New Threads

Top Bottom