• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, newbie here

Spiritfilled

Hi!
I’ve only come to the realisation recently that I may be ASD. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed privately recently, it took me a while to realise she was ASD tho because I had no idea what traits in women and girls look like. Like many, I continued to research and eventually the penny dropped that a lot of the traits apply to me too
I’ve got my assessment in 2 days! Going to the same psychologist who diagnosed my daughter because she’s very experienced with females on the spectrum, and she’s kind of familiar now so it’s not too scary. I’m freaking out quite a bit tho, mainly in case she doesn’t diagnose me and I’ve spent money on the assessment
I’m good socially, but it does drain me. However I know exactly what to say and do and how to do small talk etc so well that I had to really consider if I mask or not...I also like people a lot, but also like being alone. I’ve definitely got a lot of communication struggles in terms of things like taking people the wrong way, taking offence at things which may not have been intended, and generally coming across as “difficult” which makes me feel very misunderstood. I guess I’m still going back and forth with a few things and that’s why I need an actual assessment cos what if I’ve imagined it all because autism is currently all I can think about? AGGH.
Thanks for reading! I won’t go into all the other reasons I think I’m ASD cos I’ve written quite a lot already for an intro post!
I live in Ireland. Nice to be in this forum

upload_2020-7-19_13-34-57.png

Reg the assessment and youre worries . I have done TONS of them since i was 4 and up and the best advice i can give you is try to relax, and also be shore to remember as best as you can how youre childhood was reg different difficulties you may have had .And of course thru out youre life. Since youre daughter is diagnosed i would say the possibilities of either you or her father being on the spectrum is fairly high . BUT even if you not get that diagnose you shouldent think of it as a waist of time and money . think of it more as now you know its probably not that . They may actually find you have some other diagnose or even like me multiple diagnosis.

Good luck on youre evalution & try to not to worry to much:)

Reg the assessment and youre worries . I have done TONS of them since i was 4 and up and the best advice i can give you is try to relax, and also be shore to remember as best as you can how youre childhood was reg different difficulties you may have had .And of course thru out youre life. Since youre daughter is diagnosed i would say the possibilities of either you or her father being on the spectrum is fairly high . BUT even if you not get that diagnose you shouldent think of it as a waist of time and money . think of it more as now you know its probably not that . They may actually find you have some other diagnose or even like me multiple diagnosis.

Good luck on youre evalution & try to not to worry to much:)
Thankyou!
I think the logical me knows I probably am, but since I overthink everything, I’m definitely overthinking the reasons I might not be (this is in itself an aspie trait I know )
I had the same doubts with my daughter, cos she’s friendly and doesn’t seem to struggle socially...but she was diagnosed straight away no doubts there, so...
Thanks for your reply!

HI Welcome to the Forums.

Do hang around a bit and read some of the threads, jump in when you want. Getting engaged in the chat does help

Hi and welcome. I think it can be hard to notice a difference when you have always lived with it, and when it's not well understood in general. I expect you have looked at the Jessica Kingsley publishers catalogue for texts by women with Autism and clinicians, if not there's some interesting stuff and you may find strategies or ideas that fit for you. It's good you've joined us here!

:hibiscus::sunflower::mapleleaf::herb::blossom::palmtree::seedling::fallenleaf::cat:

Hi and welcome. I think it can be hard to notice a difference when you have always lived with it, and when it's not well understood in general. I expect you have looked at the Jessica Kingsley publishers catalogue for texts by women with Autism and clinicians, if not there's some interesting stuff and you may find strategies or ideas that fit for you. It's good you've joined us here!

:hibiscus::sunflower::mapleleaf::herb::blossom::palmtree::seedling::fallenleaf::cat:
I’ve never heard of that! Do you mind posting a link? thanks so much for the welcome!

Google Jessica Kingsley publishers, to go to the website. Lots of interesting autism related texts. (There's a drop down menu to find the topic area.) Some texts you may find highly relevant for you and your daughter.

Hi and welcome
I hope you find this forum a positive and supportive place to share and spend time with, i've found people helpful and accepting and here is a place i come to for advice, company and it's helped me to accept myself a little more in fact it's given me more than my diagnosis has, good luck with your appt and whatever the outcome i hope you like it here.

New Threads

Top Bottom