• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi im Tennal (poss. asperger)

tennal

Tennal is a misspelling of a star wars char. (from the books)... but ive used this email for more than 15 years so im not changing.

Well im 46 now.

I have been thinking of a possible autism diagnosis, and plan on getting tested to see if this is whats going on, in the near future.

when i went over the signs of autism, i was like well yeah that kinda fits me, but not really... but THEN i saw a video of a guy with aspergers and how he described what he goes thru, made me jump like OMG thats so me.

almost everything he listed was making me say oh i do that too.

lol another guy posted on what helps and suggested a fidget spinner, and mentioned that you can get an app for that, i wnet ahead and DLed an app and spent 5 minutes or more playing with it.

no i dont have a diagnosis yet, but til i saw others that had relatively normal lives saying hey we are aspies, i was a bit afraid of what this meant. in a way i have always felt like the sibling/child that everyone just puts up with cause we are family. and when i hear autism or signs of autism i think of Rain Man. and all i can think of is how are they gonna view me now?

but my sister and a close friend of mine, sees this trait in my family and her family. I mentioned it to my friend and she was like yeah i knew you were different, and we were friends anyway, before you mentioned the possibility.

I love being around people, but carrying on a conversation with them... ones i dont konw VERY well??? not easily happening.

one of the things mentioned by the guy with aspergers is that he is quiet towards new people but when he gets comfortbale with them then its alot more free conversation.

I used to be in this group of people, and the group constantly changed. so not many could i get comfortable with, except maybe old family friends. but i got comfortable this one lady, and i knew her hurband, after a year or so... she mentioned to her husband that i was funny, and loved to make jokes... he was like "he jokes around?"

ive been in mexico for 6 years, and this friend here that i talked to, that knew someothing was different, i asked her about what kind of changes she has seen in me and she mentioned that once i got comfortbale with someone that i was more verbal.

I love music, and always have. My tastes kinda stopped in the 70s (when my brother and sister started driving)... i love to sing.

my hearing is very odd. about 20 years ago i had an ear operation because of an infectoin, almost died because of the infection. I can hear things that few can, sudden noise can make me jump and cuss.

back in jr high, i could tell you about many presidents, and can still. carrying on a conversation is hellish for me, because i know that what i want to talk about (genealogy) few others do.

in fact when i hear someone mention wel i wonder about my history, i jump and say tell me what you know and ill look it up.

im glad that i have friends that just accept me for what i am, even tho only 1 of them knows about what MIGHT be wrong.

well thats me for now
tennal
sci-fi/genealogy geek/freak

6050531ceb52af77bccf66c6cb2131cd.png

Hi Tennal I hope you enjoy it here, people are friendly and helpful and there's plenty of useful information and threads to read. There are many positive aspects of autism and Aspergers but it's still not well understood and yes like you say people think of Rainman, so it's hard for them to understand what the reality is for most of the people who identify as on the autistic spectrum. The UK channel 4 survey found something like 87 out of 750 people likely were autistic (my sister told me the figures sorry if I ve remembered wrongly but think it was that...) so we are more common than we may have thought, my own feeling is that I can work with how I am better for knowing about this.

:ram::goat::rabbit::mouse::rooster::spiralshell::ram::goat::rabbit::mouse::rooster::spiralshell::ram::goat::rabbit::mouse::rooster::spiralshell:

New Threads

Top Bottom