• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi I'm new to the forum

Kira Nolan

Hello everyone! My name is Kira. I would rather not reveal my age yet but I was diagnosed with what my doctor referred to as an "Asperger like condition" in 2005 and was officially diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder earlier this year.
Having this condition makes me feel incredibly alone and I could really use people to lean on who are experiencing the same thing. I've heard people refer to their autism as a gift and on some level I really admire that but in other ways I find it frustrating because I have never felt that way. I see autism as more an annoyance and that's putting it mildly. It affects me in almost every area of my life. It specifically affects me most socially, emotionally, and intellectually. It affects me so severely that I feel like I am trapped.
I have opened up to my family and to therapists and they have helped a lot but I still feel so alone because they don't completely understand what it's like.
As you can probably guess I have a multitude of problems and there are a lot of things I would like to open up about. It's just that it may take me a while to get to a place where I feel comfortable sharing. I feel very embarrassed by the problems I have and so of course it is not easy to let people in.

Hi Kira :)

welcome to af.png

Hi Kira. I think you'll like this forum. And for starters, one of our members has put some really good videos on youtube that you should watch. It'll make you appreciate being on the spectrum. :) So check them out - look up Autistamatic on YouTube (same name as he has here).
It's a good place to ask questions, learn, compare and just have some fun. Welcome.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

Hi Kira, welcome! I'm sure you'll find some understanding and supportive people here!

Welcome, Kira! Don't worry, there's heaps of nice people here to talk to and who understand. I hope you feel less alone coming on here :)

Jessie

Please don’t be embarrassed. You don’t need to be on here. We all have a plethora of problems and issues between us and there is no judgement, only understanding. We will do our best to help you make some sense of it all xx

Hi Kira
No embarrassment to be felt round here. Most of us are in the same boat sailing the same choppy waters as yourself. You can relax the facade amongst your own in this community :)

I would rather not reveal my age yet but...

Greetings Kira! It sounds as if you have a lot of years ahead of you. I'm sixty five years of age and despite being "different" all my life I only found out in this current decade what - or should I say "why" I am the way I am. Having Aspergers and being on the Spectrum doesn't have to be frustrating or embarrassing. I came here to this forum just recently and did not have much optimism because I've been bullied into reclusion by the neuro-typical world but, on the contrary, I found the folks here most friendly, helpful, informative and intellectually insightful. You will like it here! Welcome.

It's not so much as truly considering it a gift, but more of being happy with who one is.

The difficulties you go through as a result of having autism affect how you grow up and who you become. At that point, giving up autism means giving up your own identity. Even without that... can you really say you would be happy without autism?

I know very well what issues I have and what things are difficult as a result of having autism, but if it was gone tomorrow who would I be? Would I be like any of the other 9 billion zombies walking the earth? Or would I just be same stubborn jerk, only better at determining when others are bored?

In the grand scheme of things, the difficulties that come with autism are but a minor obstacle.

New Threads

Top Bottom