• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi! I’m new here

Newguy212

I’m on the path to adult self diagnosis. One question: I see inability to understand humor as a common Aspergers symptom. If I have every other aspergers symptom but I enjoy humor, does that necessarily mean I don’t have an ASD? (I presume not, but wanted to hear from others)

Welcome! The people I have met who have little or no sense of humour, don't have Aspergers. Lack of sense of humour can happen to anyone I think. Conversely, I know plenty on the autistic spectrum who do have this. And are witty, fun and can laugh at themselves as well as others.

:yum::sweatsmile::tongueout::relaxed::hearteyes::blush::smiley::tonguewink::laughing::smiley::smilecat::smile::smileycat::laughing::grinning::hearteyecat::innocent:

I’m on the path to adult self diagnosis. One question: I see inability to understand humor as a common Aspergers symptom. If I have every other aspergers symptom but I enjoy humor, does that necessarily mean I don’t have an ASD? (I presume not, but wanted to hear from others)

Hey @Newguy212 :) Not getting humour can be a sign but believe me many of us do get it. I grew up with sarcasm , as did my autistic child, and so we both have more of an understanding of certain types of humour because of our experience with them.

Welcome to the forum.

Hahahahaha! That is just to say I love humor :) There are a lot of other symptoms. I sure hate the way they make us out to be robots. Welcome!

We usually call them traits, instead of symptoms, since it's not a disease. I would recommend taking online tests instead of trying to choose from a list of traits.

Welcome to the forums :).

Inability to understand humor would meet the DSM-5, A.1. criteria but someone would probably have other behaviors that would meet it too:
  1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity, ranging, for example, from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back-and-forth conversation; to reduced sharing of interests, emotions, or affect; to failure to initiate or respond to social interactions.
The 3 levels of examples are in increasing order of severity and the second level would apply for this trait.
I think this criteria illustrates that anyone may occasionally show an ASD trait. Think two NTs socializing and they just don't click with each other. They may display many of these traits. But with ASD, it's like you don't click with many or most people.

Welcome! I have to say it took me many years, even after some acting classes, before I started to recognize sarcasm and some types of jokes.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Can anyone recommend a physician in IL for Autism to me? I tried looking up RUSH’s center but I’ve had trouble getting a hold of them. I’m an adult but happy to see / telemedicine whomever. Feel free to PM to protect yourself.

I’m also looking for information about service animals. From what I understand, an ESA can’t go wherever you want but a service dog can - correct? Are there particular service dog programs that people have had good luck with? Hypo allergenic would be my preference.

Last edited:
Hello & welcome.

I don't always get sarcasm or deadpan, but I have used both, myself. I get most other kinds of humor, though. (When elementary school book day came around, I always ordered joke books!
full
)
Can anyone recommend a physician in IL to me?
Do you mean "for autism?"

See Autlanders, Thriving Outside of the Box: Finding Support Resources in the USA...

Welcome to the forums.

Not understanding certain humor is very common, but, it is just a trait for some.
Others have good understanding on humor. :D

Warm welcome :)

Like its been stated earlier above humor is highly individual in the first place so is the capability of understanding different kinds of it . Im ASD 3 and i most definitely have a since of humor and also able to understand it but not all kinds of it. And this goes for all not only us on the spectrum id say. ;)

What we always have to keep in mind here reg the criterias to be on the spectrum is

Not all have all the criterias regardless levels.

And again Every person with any NP diagnose is highly individual noone is the same. so you cant and shouldent compare youre self to others (incl in here )

We usually call them traits, instead of symptoms, since it's not a disease. I would recommend taking online tests instead of trying to choose from a list of traits.

Can I ask (everyone, not just @MyLifeAsAnAspie): If a person that has autism is severely affected, for example they have very high need for support and their symptoms/traits are such that their quality of life and independence is greatly affected - would you still be inclined to call the affectations 'traits' as opposed to 'symptoms'?

This seems like it should be a new topic but I don't understand the rules on taking a quote to a new thread :/ But this is something I'm already pondering lately and I've had some input from others which I have found very confusing, upsetting even. So, I'm still trying work out exactly where my feelings lie on the matter (which usually leads to me asking for different opinions).

New Threads

Top Bottom