• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi hi hi

jbalka

So I found this forum yesterday after trawling the internet for moooonths about Aspergers/ASD, and today I thought, "Aghhh, I relate to way too much-- gotta join and participate!"

I'm not officially diagnosed, and I'm even leery about self-diagnosis (not so much the concept, but I like to be 10000000% sure of things), but pursuing a diagnosis isn't really in the cards for me at the moment. I've done research ad nauseum since March or April, though, so there's something :)

Hi and welcome :) I was myself a (reluctant) self-diagnosee, but after a while, I decided I wanted a proper diagnosis. I tried to get referred back in 2006 for my various traits but got knocked back so left it. This time though I was more determined and that coupled with the fact that adult autism services where I live now are very good, has meant I am being taken seriously and it will be roughly six months from my first GP appointment to (hopefully) diagnosis, as I have what they call the ADOS assessment on the 10th of this month. Of course many people are happy with self-diagnosis and that is fine too.

Thanks! I'm terrified to talk to a GP about this (so many horror stories!), so you're very courageous to go back :) Not to mention the expense, at least in the US. The university near me has a huge autism clinic with adult diagnosing services, but I believe it's $2500 for an assessment and they don't even take insurance :flushed: I would be interested though in pursuing diagnosis in the future.

Then go to Human services and get tested free okay! through the job help program....that is what they did for me.

I didn't know that-- thanks! I'm a weird combination of self-employed/looking for jobs right now, but I'll keep that in mind in the future.

New Threads

Top Bottom