• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi Guys, I need to know if you think I'm unfair with an education issue.

Kevin L.

Hello everyone:

I have recently started classes to finish up my prerequsites for nursing school.

Here is the issue: When I was in school over 20 yrs ago, I had bad grades, as the colleges weren't required to accomodate my autistic learning disabilities.

Now--with my accommodations--I am only an A and B student with a high GPA.

The problem is that my school is assigning me a lower GPA because they're averaging in the courses from over 20 yrs ago.

This lower GPA may create problems for me getting into RN school, and create issues with my financial aid.

I don't feel that it's appropriate for the school to use grades from before when there was no requirement to accommodate the handicapped.

I am searching for a lawyer to take my case, as the scho said to me: "If we do it for you,then I have to do it for everyone."

Also: "That's how the world works. If you don't like it, then sue me."

I think I can get an attorney to take my case.

Am I the one who's being a nasty a-----hole?

Please be honest if you think I'm unfair or unreasonable.

Do they really have access to grades from 20 years ago? That sounds a little fishy to me. Most employers will count 20 years of adult work experience in leiu of education. See if they will do that.

I think you're seeing this just fine. The person was wrong. If they do it for you, they have to do it for all disabled people, not "all people". Best wishes finding an attorney.

With situations like this, you need legal precedent. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think there's precedent for your case. Either way you should speak to a lawyer to see how the laws work, especially in your area. Preferably one knowledgeable in the field of Disability. You basically have two laws that exist simultaneously that somewhat contradict each other.

1. People with disabilities should be accommodated

and

2. People's grades are permanent

But since you had those grades pre-accommodation, I don't know how that might affect things. Most lawyers give consultations for free, where they lay out the law in layperson terms. Basically, get in contact with someone who knows what they're doing before taking action.

Do you need to use grades from previously to qualify for entry? Or are you taking all the courses you need for entry now? If the former, it's a bit more tricky, and presumably there is no legal precedent... yet. Legal advice may help you determine how likely you'd be to win this. Good luck with it.

Hi,

With a quick thought i have come across to this idea: what about telling them that you don't want these bad grades and you will try to be examined again in those subjects or part of them?

My brother changed studying departments (from Physics to Math) and he had 1/4 of the same subjects. He could choose to be examined again to all of them or to the ones he wants and get better grades(he didn't have good grades) or to keep these grades.

If your dream is to get to the RN school, then consider the option of having some of those exams(if you can choose not to be examined to all of those, but a part of them) in order to keep your current GPA or even get a higher one!

Good luck! :D

Were you already diagnosed 20 years ago?
No. These classes were ones I took in the late '90s. The school required these transcripts before I was allowed to attend classes.

As for some reasons why my grades were low . . . please consider autistic sensory issues for a moment.

In a chemistry lab class (for example), I had difficulty in reading color changes in sediments and solutions because of the flourescent lights.

I was not allowed to wear sunglasses or my visor (or, sometimes, my Boston Red Sox baseball cap) because of a dress code.

The professor was very rigid about head coverings, because a muslim woman had her religious headscarf (a burka) catch fire from a bunsen burner a few semesters before my class. In hindsight, it seems that the professor took the view that he didn't want to be seen as persecuting someone's religious beliefs, so all head coverings were forbidden (and I am actually sympathetic toward this idea). He did have alternate coursework for religious students who insisted on head coverings.

I also had problems examining specimens through a microscope because of lighting issues, and so on.

I bear part of the blame, because I did get into a yelling match with a professor over sunglasses. This was because there was an albino student on campus who was allowed to wear sunglasses because his eyes were very sensitive to light, yet I wasn't allowed to wear my sunglasses in class because it was against a dress code, and I didn't have a "medical need."

So . . . my grades were very bad.

Now--when I have these accommodations--I am only an A and B student with a very good GPA.

How do I reasonably resolve this conflict in a manner that is fair to the school as well as being fair to myself?

I don't feel that it's appropriate for the school to consider the low grades that happened from a time when my disability was not recognized.

Hi,

With a quick thought i have come across to this idea: what about telling them that you don't want these bad grades and you will try to be examined again in those subjects or part of them?

My brother changed studying departments (from Physics to Math) and he had 1/4 of the same subjects. He could choose to be examined again to all of them or to the ones he wants and get better grades(he didn't have good grades) or to keep these grades.

If your dream is to get to the RN school, then consider the option of having some of those exams(if you can choose not to be examined to all of those, but a part of them) in order to keep your current GPA or even get a higher one!

Good luck! :D
Thank you.

I did take a qualifying exam called a TEAS test, which is required of all students seeking entrance into nursing school, and I scored very high--in the 99th percentile--because I was allowed to have an environment that accommodated my autistic sensory issues.

Still, it's only part of the application requirements.

The bottom line is is the school acccepting these grades in lieu of your repeating the classes? If they are then the grades will be factored in. If you are going to repeat the classes you already took then the grades should not be factored in. Another option to repeating the class(es) is to challenge the final exam. See if you can do that to change the grade. One other thing depending on the class the time period for accepting the grades on classes taken previously can be variable. For example there is a limited amount of time for classes taken in nursing to be valid. After a certain period of time has elapsed one would have to retake the class to get credit for the class.
In my opinion "only" an A and B average is nothing to downplay.

I'm surprised they allow those credits from so long ago. I would have thought you would have had to take any needed classes over again.

I successfully challenged a couple of low grades, when getting my transcripts for my applications.
Didn’t need an attorney, just followed a rather long drawn out process. Good luck.

Hello everyone:

I have recently started classes to finish up my prerequsites for nursing school.

Here is the issue: When I was in school over 20 yrs ago, I had bad grades, as the colleges weren't required to accomodate my autistic learning disabilities.

Now--with my accommodations--I am only an A and B student with a high GPA.

The problem is that my school is assigning me a lower GPA because they're averaging in the courses from over 20 yrs ago.

This lower GPA may create problems for me getting into RN school, and create issues with my financial aid.

I don't feel that it's appropriate for the school to use grades from before when there was no requirement to accommodate the handicapped.

I am searching for a lawyer to take my case, as the scho said to me: "If we do it for you,then I have to do it for everyone."

Also: "That's how the world works. If you don't like it, then sue me."

I think I can get an attorney to take my case.

Am I the one who's being a nasty a-----hole?

Are you attending the same college that you attended 20 years ago? If yes, then they average your grades. Send a letter of explanation to your prospective nursing school. They’re concerned with whether you will be able to handle the coursework. They will look at your most recent, and most relevant coursework and grades. A nursing degree program is rigorous. You’ll need to demonstrate to the school that you’re capable of completing the program. One of the metrics of a degree program, such as nursing, is how many students accepted into the program complete the degree. Good luck!

There are several celebrities experienced with lying and cheating to get the education they want for their children (while a mother who was "black" gave a friend's address so the child could receive an adequate education served extensive jail time) The system is not in your favor but if you have retained good records, it could fly.

Have you spoken to someone in the department that helped set up the accommodations? Being very careful about what you disclose (the nursing school may not want "autistics" in their program), you may want to present directly to the admission committee.

My class of 12 was allegedly chosen from a field of 100 applicants. I then worried and was assessed for learning needs and given accommodations. A famous, well-published professor requested to be my advisor. She said she requested it to tell me that people like me were not wanted in the field. Oh well.

The program was easy, I have done well in my field, but party-poopers like her have been the bane of my work life. Despite my success, they know that something is WRONG with me. They are particularly good at being nasty backstabbers.

My sister, also autistic, recently retired from 30-years of nursing. She was excellent.

There are several celebrities experienced with lying and cheating to get the education they want for their children (while a mother who was "black" gave a friend's address so the child could receive an adequate education served extensive jail time) The system is not in your favor but if you have retained good records, it could fly.

Have you spoken to someone in the department that helped set up the accommodations? Being very careful about what you disclose (the nursing school may not want "autistics" in their program), you may want to present directly to the admission committee.

My class of 12 was allegedly chosen from a field of 100 applicants. I then worried and was assessed for learning needs and given accommodations. A famous, well-published professor requested to be my advisor. She said she requested it to tell me that people like me were not wanted in the field. Oh well.

The program was easy, I have done well in my field, but party-poopers like her have been the bane of my work life. Despite my success, they know that something is WRONG with me. They are particularly good at being nasty backstabbers.

My sister, also autistic, recently retired from 30-years of nursing. She was excellent.
Thank you.

I want to follow up with everyone, especially since I got a lot of validation and support.

I still don't know if I'll be accepted into nursing school, but I did write a rebuttal about the GPA, which was interfering with my financial aid.

Mh rebuttal was reviewed, and an exception was granted.

Thank you again for all of the support.

Thank you.

The application window closes in a week. I got my application in at 8:00 AM on the very first day it opened . . . but maybe this makes me a dork . . . I don't know. I've been called a dork for most of my life, so I don't care.

In any case, I got the funding available, so all I need now is to get accepted.

New Threads

Top Bottom