• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi from Mr Alligator

Mr Alligator

V.I.P Member
Hi all,

I've been wondering about whether I have Asperger's for a little while now, and after some recent TV documentaries decided to go to my GP. That was a few months ago now.

I've got an appointment for an ASD assessment coming up. I'm a little nervous about this and find it a little strange to be attending it with my parents as a fully grown adult! - but I get that information on my childhood may be useful.

I'm also wondering what some of my friends are going to say if and when I tell them. Only a select few people know at present. I'd like to tell more people to get it off my chest, but I'd also like to be right - who knows, maybe I'm wrong and I haven't got Asperger's!

All I have to go on that is the Doctor confirming my thoughts by referring me, a couple of free questionnaires I've completed and some feelings around common traits that I recognise in me.

I've done well from a career perspective, so if I have Asperger's that may have helped me in my chosen technical field. In other areas though, I'm not so good.

The obvious things like body language and sarcasm can escape me. Changes to my routine, e.g. if I have planned certain tasks for the day, can make me feel angry towards whoever has asked me to do something different - even if I can see it's more important.

There's more to say, but I think I'll leave it at that for now, so, as above, hi all.

:)

upload_2018-7-25_15-59-7.png

Hi and welcome!

Don't stress over the assessment. Either way it comes out, it will tell you a little more about yourself. And knowing all about the proper care and feeding of @Mr Alligator can only benefit you.

As for telling your employer or others, I recommend a cautious-but-not-paranoid approach. First, wait until you've had enough time to mentally digest it. Wait until it no longer feels like news. Then, only tell those who need to know.

Good luck. Hope to see you around.

I wouldn't be so quick to tell people if it turns out to be true. Its understandable to tell closest family or friends, but people in general misunderstand it or have a negative view. I only tell people who I have known a very long time and whom I trust with the information. If it gets public, like at work, it can cause problems. If you need to try for accommodations at work it may be unavoidable, but I'd hold the info close up to that point. The stigma is there and might surprise you.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Cheers for your thoughts on telling people. I'm concerned that if some friends find out and I've not told them myself they'll be put out. But I can see caution could be a good thing. There's a few friends who will probably understand it due to their jobs or family. Most of my friends I've known for 10+ years, some 20+

I felt a little more relaxed about everything after posting this thread, it's good to talk!

Hello, I'm English too. I'm pretty sure I'm high-functioning autistic as I can relate to things that have come out about the condition over the last couple of years, but the doctor, who was lovely but didn't know me from Eve, didn't think so, so I'm self-diagnosed.

I have come out in my family and at church, but tend to mention it when it's relevant. It's not a secret, but I haven't made an issue of it either.

New Threads

Top Bottom