• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi Everyone

Redcat

I'm Lisa. I believe that I might be on the spectrum, if that is the way one would say it. I will be 50 next year and have always felt different. I have two children in elementary school and wonder if they could also be high functioning. They are doing well in school at this point and am afraid to "label" them right now.

As for me I am struggling a bit. I lost my husband to cancer 6 years ago and being an only parent of two young kids is taking a toll on me. I'd like to find out for sure if I am high functioning but am afraid of how this might affect my kids. We are doing ok but I just feel like I'm always exhausted and people don't understand, especially my family who I have had to count on a lot more without my husband. I guess I'm looking for somewhere I might feel like I belong.

After my husband passed I decided to remain home with the kids, before this I was a software engineer and actually felt very at home with my coworkers. I was laid off a year before my husband passed and have lost touch with the people we worked with, and since we both worked for the company I think I have shied away from reconnecting because of bittersweet memories. Learning more about high functioning autism I wonder also if my husband was on the spectrum as well. I feel very lost about who I am. After dealing with the grief of losing my husband I found that I allowed people (my family mostly) to control me more. I felt obligated to listen to and act accordingly to their opinion because they had helped me so much when he died, but they aren't like me and don't get me. But I don't really know me anymore either. I'm hoping to learn more and maybe find me if that makes any sense. Thank you for listening.

Hi Lisa :)

welcome to af.png

Being alone in your responsibilities as a mother and still grieving the life you had with your husband is a heavy load period. What exactly makes you wonder if you are on the spectrum? Just asking. I'm sure if you are on the spectrum it's going to make simple things even more difficult. I empathize, it's a hard job being a single parent. I hope you find some answers here and everyone is very welcoming on this forum.

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about your situation, that sounds really tough. I don't know what I'd do if I was in your position. Hope you find what you are looking for here!

New Threads

Top Bottom