• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi everyone. Newly discovered aspie, here.

christiaan LeGrand

Hello. My name is Christiaan. I'm 49 years old, but I'm a serious case of arrested development. Lol. I recently took an asperger's quotient test and scored WAY higher than I ever thought I might. I scored 42 in the AQ test. ...

I have photophobia, which I thought was unrelated. I can't handle sudden bright lights. Sudden increase in lights actually triggers a panic episode, usually. Also, I cannot be in a room with a lot of conversations going on ... even if someone is right next to me and talking, I can't hear them in a situation where there is a drone of other people talking. I discovered this is a sign of autism.

I'm encyclopedic on many subjects, especially involving numeric values. I see patterns everywhere. I only have only a HS diploma, but I have been hired by a very high-end telescope company ... one of the owners was a client, and somehow we began working out engineering issues and optical problems on cocktail napkins... he convinced me to go to work for him.

I have almost zero close friends. ... they usually fade away.. all of the ones that I keep in touch with are foreigners... I suspect it is because they can't discern my social shortcomings.

I teach tennis for a living. I'm sure I'm very good at what I do. I have a year-long waitlist for a new client, my students reach a high level of proficiency at an unusual rate, it seems.... most people who know me probably would never suspect I'm autistic. They have no idea that under the public image of me is what amounts to a quite complex algorithm of logical responses that I have mastered over 30 years... it is thoroughly exhausting though.

All of that said, I really love people and wish to help them, ... and when I have the fuel, I do like to meet new people.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here. Sounds like you cope with lots of Aspie challenges, and have a successful but tiring career and life. I think that's common here, too. Glad you found us, hope the discussions here are useful and supportive for you.

:snowflake::snowman::snowflake::rabbit::snowflake::snowman::snowflake::rabbit::snowflake:

Welcome to the forums :). You certainly have a interesting set of traits. Only the auditory processing issue is a very common aspie trait. Photophobia, I heard of, but I don't think it's very common. Surprised you can get a AQ=42 and not be more obviously aspie.

Welcome to the forums :). You certainly have a interesting set of traits. Only the auditory processing issue is a very common aspie trait. Photophobia, I heard of, but I don't think it's very common. Surprised you can get a AQ=42 and not be more obviously aspie.

When I look back at my life, it's always been this feeling like I'm not part of the world. It feels like I'm exploring the depths of the ocean and this strange species, but they are other people. I'm less fascinated with watching normal people interact than I used to be. I think over so many years of practice, I can hold my own pretty well, but when I really think about it, I'm just impressed that I can successfully fit in and make them think I'm normal. I've made it a fun challenge to do that. Occasionally, though, I intentionally let my guard down with people these days ... sometimes it doesn't end well, and I do wonder "what's the big deal?" Other times people have told me they really appreciate the information and a day ago someone asked me why I'm teaching tennis - and that I sound like a doctor...

Anyway, I had a pretty traumatic childhood with tuned out parents, which didn't help. I was tested for gifted programs at school and they said I qualified, but they never followed through. I think at that time some people noticed my autism and recommended that I be placed in a school for kids like me... never happened.

Welcome! Glad you're been "discovered" as one major challenge for many is having skills but not being able to apply them to work/career.

Other times people have told me they really appreciate the information and a day ago someone asked me why I'm teaching tennis - and that I sound like a doctor...

A coworker nicknamed me "The doctor" for my speech pattern. Better than an earlier time when I overheard a coworker wondering out loud if a Chinese-american guy and I were able to understand each other (his accent and my mumbled speech).

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks. I just re-read a part of my previous message... I said "most people who know me probably never suspect I'm autistic," ... retrospectively, I doubt that. Logically that makes no sense at all. My interpersonal relationships outside of work rarely work, but my professional ones often do. I guess it is very reassuring that what I have to contribute is of great value, but there's always the downside, which is the reality that I'm not someone that very many people would care to know.

Hi christiaan LeGrand
Welcome to the forum

Yeah sensitivity to things is a sign of autism, loud noises are my thing, block my ears if too loud.

Congratulations on your job, hope you enjoy it.

Hope you make friends here.

We look normal so I find I have to tell people I am autistic when I struggle to communicate.

I don't know lokento but welcome here and hope you like it.

there's always the downside, which is the reality that I'm not someone that very many people would care to know.

I doubt that, you sound like someone who is very interesting :)
Speaking for myself, I think often I am someone people would care to know but its just a great deal of work dealing with my (lets be kind:)"quirky" nature, doesnt conform to regular patterns of friendship development and, finally, I dont do the necessary maintenance very well - for various reasons. Perhaps that is more why we tend not to have so many longterm close friends?
At any rate, welcome and enjoy the chats!

Hi christiaan LeGrand
Welcome to the forum

Yeah sensitivity to things is a sign of autism, loud noises are my thing, block my ears if too loud.

Congratulations on your job, hope you enjoy it.

Hope you make friends here.

We look normal so I find I have to tell people I am autistic when I struggle to communicate.

I don't know lokento but welcome here and hope you like it.

Oh sorry. I meant "like to"

New Threads

Top Bottom