• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum but not to Autism.

asnlifecoach

Hi Everyone! I just want to introduce myself. I am a 31 year old nt-woman who was studying to become a Marriage and Family Therapist for about 6 years. Due to having an autistic adult in my life, I soon became frustrated with the lack of classes, knowledge, and support therapists were capable of providing to adult autistic relationships. It frustrated me in my own relationships because I didn't have any answers. The techniques and tests and lectures all made sense and worked, for neuro-typicals, but not at all for ASDs. I ended up quitting before getting my professional license to practice because of my frustrations. I went on to study everything I could find on autism and came up with my own understandings and breakthroughs. I'm actually writing a book on my experiences that I hope to have published within the next year or so.

In the meantime, I began working with autistic adults, their families, and others affected by Autism and other special needs. After a while, I realized this had become my passion...and I started my own business. I am now a Life Coach specializing in Autism and Special needs. I have many local clients already but am expanding my business to the entire United States. So many people are frustrated and need some guidance.

I would love to be able to start up discussions here on this board. I have always found that these online communities are excellent support systems to find others like us who feel like we are suffering in silence. I just want everyone to know that I am doing my best to demand better of society. To help them see that more people like me are needed out there. I also urge all of you to think about sharing what you know from your own experiences to help others. I have found this extremely rewarding and I can't imagine doing anything else with my life.

I used to dream of being a big shot therapist with an office at a University with a big window overlooking the property. Now I have a small office with a tiny window overlooking the parking lot...but every day I get to talk to and meet wonderful people who I get to guide and coach and challenge and help find them peace and happiness. If this is why I had to suffer so many years ago, then it was definitely worth it! Thanks for having me here. I would love to get to know as many of you as possible!

Jackie

Hi coach and welcome this is a good place to get plenty of advice i work and teach autistic students in uk

Hi Jacki,
Welcome here, it is good to meet people who have a caring heart, but also one who have an interest in how we celebrate our differences. Your choice of professions sounds very interesting to me. I hope you finish your book and grow your business, we need more people like you! You found something you love to do, and a way to make a living at it. Also, you are making a positive difference in the world, as opposed to doing something like spraying toxic chemicals on peoples food.
You Go Girl.

Yes welcome to the forums. Its nice to see other professionals here. I actually got my degree in order to help those with Autism. Though I do not have a job yet. I am thrilled to hear that you are pursuing helping adults with autism and their families as adults. Its a great thing. Welcome!!! :)

Welcome to Aspie Central Jackie. There are few people who want to help others. Good luck on your career!

Hi Jackie! Welcome to Aspies Central. I am really proud of you for reaching out to the community and spreading awareness about ASDs, and I really look forward to your discussions on the forum. Also, good luck with all of your plans with the book and your career.

Hi Jackie! Welcome to Aspies Central. I am really proud of you for reaching out to the community and spreading awareness about ASDs, and I really look forward to your discussions on the forum. Also, good luck with all of your plans with the book and your career.

Thank you all again. I do want to help people, but most of all I want to help those with the least amount of services, particularly adults on the autism spectrum, parents, siblings, and friends of those affected by ASDs. I want to bring awareness to the fact that autism is not something that goes away once a child turns 18.

You're very welcome. By the way, I just looked at your signature and I thought I would let you know that the way you spell your name is the same as mine too :) And yes, I agree that it is very important to stress that autism is not limited to children.

I soon became frustrated with the lack of classes, knowledge, and support therapists were capable of providing to adult autistic relationships. It frustrated me in my own relationships because I didn't have any answers. The techniques and tests and lectures all made sense and worked, for neuro-typicals, but not at all for ASDs.

I know exactly what you are talking about, because I have experienced the same thing. What worked so well for others did not work for me. I did not understand this at all until a few months ago, and now I am slowly beginning to figure it out.

I really wish I had been diagnosed with Asperger's (or whatever it is I have - it is either Asperger's or something very close to it) when I first went for help in 1990. Before, it was "that creepy feeling", which is what I called the realization that there was something different between me and other people. Now, I have a name, something specific I can search for. I found this forum and reading through it has been a huge help. Light bulbs are popping off in my head all the time and puzzle pieces are snapping together. I can also refer people to this forum if they want to understand me, something they can do on their own time.

You're very welcome. By the way, I just looked at your signature and I thought I would let you know that the way you spell your name is the same as mine too :) And yes, I agree that it is very important to stress that autism is not limited to children.

I was named after Jaclyn Smith! LOL, our name rocks. :)

I know exactly what you are talking about, because I have experienced the same thing. What worked so well for others did not work for me. I did not understand this at all until a few months ago, and now I am slowly beginning to figure it out.

I really wish I had been diagnosed with Asperger's (or whatever it is I have - it is either Asperger's or something very close to it) when I first went for help in 1990. Before, it was "that creepy feeling", which is what I called the realization that there was something different between me and other people. Now, I have a name, something specific I can search for. I found this forum and reading through it has been a huge help. Light bulbs are popping off in my head all the time and puzzle pieces are snapping together. I can also refer people to this forum if they want to understand me, something they can do on their own time.

It is great to have a community like this to help you on your journey to find yourself. You may be different, but we're all on that journey to understand ourselves better. It is so great to get to meet you! :)

Hi i want to inhance my career still working with autism any advice

Well, I would need more information on your career and the aspects you want to enhance. Are you struggling in some areas or is everything status quo and you want to take it to the next level?

I work and teach autistic students 5/19year old its awesome but i feel i have more to give. i would love to go around and do talks about my own experience with aspergers to bring more awerness to other people.

Oscar check out the book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. It changed my life & is one of the best motivational books imo especially per careers. It answers the question-how to be successful in your chosen career path. Plus as you are doing here, continue networking with professionals who are doing what you'd love to do. Never take no for an answer, never let anyone stop you. Never let any professional dissuade you from your goal [unless there's no jobs or future in the career etc.]

Maybe you might want to find out if there is a professional Association for your chosen career and joining it. Especially if they meet offline once a month in your area [networking.] I know the above because I have done it [several times] including creating my own internship & assisting a top professional in a chosen career before I became self employed. Good luck!

I work and teach autistic students 5/19year old its awesome but i feel i have more to give. i would love to go around and do talks about my own experience with aspergers to bring more awerness to other people.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom