• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi Everybody

Sagigirl14

Ominouscloud
My name is Kelly, and I'm 32. I just recently started researching Aspergers. I seem to have a lot of the symptoms. So I'm making an appointment tomorrow to see my doctor. I have a 7-year-old son who is in the spectrum, diagnosed as high functioning. He also has SAD (Sensory Anxiety Disorder), which makes hearing certain loud things stressful for him. Well, I guess that's all I can think of right now. :)

Welcome to AC :)

I hope you find us informative,helpful and friendly here

Welcome to AC! It's a trip of a journey, going through a similar thing right now (only without the actual doctors). No matter what happens, I hope you benefit from it. :)

Welcome Kelly,
You have come to a good place. The SAD that you mentioned, sounds like a symptom of Aspergers. I hope you find the answers you are looking for, good luck.

Welcome Kelly,
You have come to a good place. The SAD that you mentioned, sounds like a symptom of Aspergers. I hope you find the answers you are looking for, good luck.
That's what I was thinking also, but his doctor had him tested for it and he only scored 50%. So they just called it high functioning Autism. :confused: :)

My name is Kelly, and I'm 32. I just recently started researching Aspergers. I seem to have a lot of the symptoms. So I'm making an appointment tomorrow to see my doctor. I have a 7-year-old son who is in the spectrum, diagnosed as high functioning. He also has SAD (Sensory Anxiety Disorder), which makes hearing certain loud things stressful for him. Well, I guess that's all I can think of right now. :)

I also hate many types of loud noises. Oddly, I can do rock concerts or "white noise," but kids screaming at a restaurant or certain pitch sounds kill me. I sometimes am afraid to go into public places because people just let their kids scream and won't take them to a restroom, etc. Maybe they shouldn't have to do that, but I literally writhe in pain with the screeching noises. Same result with metal chairs being drug on the floor in the food court at the mall. Sigh. Anyway, it is good to have the Dx, because now my wife doesn't think I am just being insensitive.

I also hate many types of loud noises. Oddly, I can do rock concerts or "white noise," but kids screaming at a restaurant or certain pitch sounds kill me. I sometimes am afraid to go into public places because people just let their kids scream and won't take them to a restroom, etc. Maybe they shouldn't have to do that, but I literally writhe in pain with the screeching noises. Same result with metal chairs being drug on the floor in the food court at the mall. Sigh. Anyway, it is good to have the Dx, because now my wife doesn't think I am just being insensitive.
I totally understand that. I work at a grocery store, and there's always screaming children! I'm actually surprised that I can function doing my job. I always hate going to work because I have to constantly talk to people I don't know. Then there's some customers that like to stand about 2 feet away from me and stare while I'm bagging their groceries! :eek:

I totally understand that. I work at a grocery store, and there's always screaming children! I'm actually surprised that I can function doing my job. I always hate going to work because I have to constantly talk to people I don't know. Then there's some customers that like to stand about 2 feet away from me and stare while I'm bagging their groceries! :eek:

I am blessed to have an office with a door. I respect that you are able to do what you do. The other day my wife took me to Wal-Mart, and a kid was screaming, and I doubled over. We had to walk away, and the mother looked at me like I was garbage. Thanks to learning about AS, though, my wife was supportive for the first time instead of treating me like I was being childish. It was great when I realized that later. At the time, all I could think of was getting away from that child...

I am blessed to have an office with a door. I respect that you are able to do what you do. The other day my wife took me to Wal-Mart, and a kid was screaming, and I doubled over. We had to walk away, and the mother looked at me like I was garbage. Thanks to learning about AS, though, my wife was supportive for the first time instead of treating me like I was being childish. It was great when I realized that later. At the time, all I could think of was getting away from that child...
Thank you, I'm hoping to find a better job soon. Thinking of going to school for something, so I'll have a better job, with no screaming children! I'm going to go to my Dr. on the 15th, so I can talk wth him about this and maybe get a diagnosis. Because so far, I have just about all of the symptoms. I'm also sorry about what you have to deal with, cuz I know what you mean. :(

Thank you, I'm hoping to find a better job soon. Thinking of going to school for something, so I'll have a better job, with no screaming children! I'm going to go to my Dr. on the 15th, so I can talk wth him about this and maybe get a diagnosis. Because so far, I have just about all of the symptoms. I'm also sorry about what you have to deal with, cuz I know what you mean. :(

I would recommend you focus on careers in high demand fields who work in quiet environments. If you get a degree in a field where there is no demand at present, then you may be back working someplace where the noise kills. Good options include IT, medical-clerical/records, dental hygienist (not pediatric), etc. Medical and tech are all booming right now, or so I have read.

I would recommend you focus on careers in high demand fields who work in quiet environments. If you get a degree in a field where there is no demand at present, then you may be back working someplace where the noise kills. Good options include IT, medical-clerical/records, dental hygienist (not pediatric), etc. Medical and tech are all booming right now, or so I have read.
Ok, well thank you very much! :)

I also hate the sound of kids or gangs of drunk teens screaming uuur ear rape!!!!

Welcome Kelly, I'm Sagittarius too.

New Threads

Top Bottom