• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi. Diagnosed aged almost 60, new here.

Greetings!
I am in the UK.
having struggled my whole life with what I believed was a "fatal flaw" somewhere deep inside my being, and as the result of many years of searching, counselling, etc, a random conversation with a friend led to my wondering whether my "flaw" was merely a difference.
Months of internet research led me, via various diagnostic questionnaires etc, to the blog of Tania Marshall concerning women and girls on the autism spectrum.
Thence a letter to my GP, who (much to my surprise) agreed that a referral was in order.
A preliminary assessment in August 2018 have a confident but provisional diagnosis of autism spectrum condition of Asperger's type.
I am expecting a later in the next few months with an appointment for a full diagnostic assessment.

upload_2020-1-13_19-17-44.png

It's a relief to find a answer for all those nuances we have, and welcome to the Autistichood where we are all doing time, lol.

Hello, welcome to the forums. I know what you mean about feeling flawed, you aren't though, well not any more than anyone else. You are just different, as am I.

That's pretty quick for an adult assessment in the UK. I hope it all goes smoothly and you get the answers you're looking for. There are literally hundreds of thousands of late diagnosed autists in the UK so you're far from alone.

Hi Allie and welcome. Several of us here also have late diagnosis'. I was 59, now 62. A lot of mixed emotions will come with it, but mostly relief to have answers to a lifetime of struggles. I think the biggest change for me was finally the ability to accept who I am and how I am instead of trying to fight it. So I'm glad for you and hope you find this forum helpful and comforting.

Hello MadAllieTrumpeter,
Greetings!
I am in the UK.
having struggled my whole life with what I believed was a "fatal flaw" somewhere deep inside my being, and as the result of many years of searching, counselling, etc, a random conversation with a friend led to my wondering whether my "flaw" was merely a difference.
Months of internet research led me, via various diagnostic questionnaires etc, to the blog of Tania Marshall concerning women and girls on the autism spectrum.
Thence a letter to my GP, who (much to my surprise) agreed that a referral was in order.
A preliminary assessment in August 2018 have a confident but provisional diagnosis of autism spectrum condition of Asperger's type.
I am expecting a later in the next few months with an appointment for a full diagnostic assessment.

Hello Allie and welcome to the Forum, Im new to the Forum as well and also late diagnosed at 58, this year! Ah, the circuitous route to my diagnosis...I didnt have children so I saw myself in my students. I worked in a college specializing in helping autistic and adhd young adults get degrees. Others around me noticed I might be on the spectrum so I started doing all the free online assessments and scoring in clinical range...I did that for 2.5 years until finally I got a neuro-developmental psychiatric eval indicating what others and I suspected, ASD (preferably ASC). Its been a relief and also something new to process and accept...Im getting there and glad I found the Forum to journey with. Welcome :)

One time visit with BP to request for an ASD referral. She said I was too old and gave me a BPD diagnosis.
Spoke with psychiatrist of 4 years and he gave me an ASD diagnosis with a request for further screening. What exactly is "further screening" I spoke to a MSW giving information, she said I would see their psychiatrist next. My dad wrote a 7 page letter about abnormal sensory issues, learning problems and social problems prior to 18. They said they would pull my highschool transcripts but really needed more information prior to the age of 18. In my day there had to be speech delay. I was raised female but transitioned into male with three PhD's who screened me for transition specifically to rule out an Axis II disorder because an Axis II was contra-indicated for surgery. I have been a success story with my transition but now I have an Axis II from a GP and I suspect she may have gone outside her scope of practice? I am 52. Any thoughts, recommendations, suggestions?

HI there and welcome to the Forums

Lots of good people here and lots of good older posts.

I just wished I knew a better process to get screened if older? Who has access to records from 35-47 years ago? Everyone who knew me then is really old or dead. I had no siblings. I have an ex-wife that might agree to Casandra syndrome though. I felt bad about our 12 year marriage and moved into an ashram as a celibate monk to meditate on the "why" in my behavior and past co-morbidities. I came here to really start looking at my life and how to not make the same mistakes. An ASD self diagnosis vs a GP's diagnosis vs a Psychiatrists diagnosis vs a PhD neuro psychologists diagnosis vs a speech or occupational therapists. Medicine is supposed to be a logical objective science. It seems there is a lot of mis-information and subjectivity floating around in the medical community regarding ASD older people especially those raised as females getting a solid diagnosis so they can get some closure and adjust their sails for a better future sailing. I am my own patient self advocate but my GP told me "A doctor makes those decisions regarding an ASD referral." I thought I had major control issues. Mr. Spock would say "Fascinating." I say "How interesting." Human behavior really puzzles me. I originally chose psychology but moved to science because of the logic. People baffle me. Give me a horse, electronic gadget or book. Life is best then.

I just wished I knew a better process to get screened if older? Who has access to records from 35-47 years ago? Everyone who knew me then is really old or dead. I had no siblings. I have an ex-wife that might agree to Casandra syndrome though. I felt bad about our 12 year marriage and moved into an ashram as a celibate monk to meditate on the "why" in my behavior and past co-morbidities. I came here to really start looking at my life and how to not make the same mistakes. An ASD self diagnosis vs a GP's diagnosis vs a Psychiatrists diagnosis vs a PhD neuro psychologists diagnosis vs a speech or occupational therapists. Medicine is supposed to be a logical objective science. It seems there is a lot of mis-information and subjectivity floating around in the medical community regarding ASD older people especially those raised as females getting a solid diagnosis so they can get some closure and adjust their sails for a better future sailing. I am my own patient self advocate but my GP told me "A doctor makes those decisions regarding an ASD referral." I thought I had major control issues. Mr. Spock would say "Fascinating." I say "How interesting." Human behavior really puzzles me. I originally chose psychology but moved to science because of the logic. People baffle me. Give me a horse, electronic gadget or book. Life is best then.

New Threads

Top Bottom