• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi but not sure I should be here

Exbrewer

Having reached the age of 65, half of me thinks I shouldn't be here and the other half wishes I had joined years ago. My name is Tim Morris and the main reason for joining now is to try to find out if anyone has heard of a book I wrote entitled The Cubic Pea. I want to be up front about this but I am also looking for help to understand why I felt so strongly that I needed to write it in the first place. I do not believe that I am on the spectrum but there is no doubt that my life has been greatly influenced and enhanced by people who are.

I have not heard of the book.

I hope that you will try to benefit the community since it sounds like they've helped you out in some way. Then, you can belong here NT or not. Since you have a question as to whether you belong or not, give us reasons to accept you.

If you didn't initially question this, I would've accepted you initially NT or not.

Consider donating to organizations like ASAN or GRASP. You can check with us which organizations are more appropriate to donate to and which ones you should avoid if this is a route you want to take.

Thank you for looking at our beloved forum.

From an amazon summary of the book:

"The Cubic Pea is a debut novel about the developing relationships between a group of five friends (Alice, Robert, William, Simon and Jake) as they try to rescue a brewery from a cyber-attack. It intentionally presents a fictitious, rose-tinted and, at times, humorous view of Asperger s Syndrome. Bonds are forged as a result of traumatic childhood experiences and a shared love of roast dinners. Are these bonds strong enough to survive the conflicts which arise between logic and emotion Can the exceptional skills of Robert and Jake, both of whom have Asperger s Syndrome, be released whilst they struggle to cope with the chaos of everyday life What is the secret William is hiding and will Alice be able to find the answer she craves without addressing her own demons.."

I don't know whether that summarizes the story accurately or not.
Apparently the book was published in 2020?

@Exbrewer ,
If you want to get a practical sense of the spectrum, this forum and the organizations mentioned at Autlanders, Thriving Outside of the Box: Finding Support Resources in the USA... are the places to do that.

ASD1 is not a mental illness. It is a healthy form of neuro-diversity similar to intellectual giftedness. ASD2 & 3 are ASD1 with the addition of a neo-natal brain injury. Those additional traits (co-morbid conditions) are consistent with other forms of brain injury and not intuitive to uninjured ASD1s at all.

If ASD1s are Vulcans, ASD2s/3s are like Vulcans who have experienced varying degrees of head trauma.

On-line forums (like this one) tend to skew ASD1. We have some ASD2s, but I doubt that ASD3s are represented here (other than through their relatives).

Having reached the age of 65, half of me thinks I shouldn't be here and the other half wishes I had joined years ago. My name is Tim Morris and the main reason for joining now is to try to find out if anyone has heard of a book I wrote entitled The Cubic Pea. I want to be up front about this but I am also looking for help to understand why I felt so strongly that I needed to write it in the first place. I do not believe that I am on the spectrum but there is no doubt that my life has been greatly influenced and enhanced by people who are.
Wow tired ,jumping on the bandwagon that the only sex that has ASD1 neurology are males,Aspergers syndrome is rarely if not used, gone officially post 2015 ,the tired idea that ASD1 are inferred as being savants (and yawn yawn males) inaccurate,the very tired idea! people with Autistic neurology only eat bland food with little spice inaccurate!!!.

I went to have a look, but google search assistance only made helpful suggestions like:

'where to buy pea gravel by the ton near me'

;)

I hadn’t heard of your book, no, but congratulations on writing a book!
I’m an aspiring writer currently taking writing classes and I tip my imaginary hat to you for following through and completing a whole book. That must have been a massive process.

Yeah, stick around and let us get to know you. Many artists (Kickstarters too) become shameless promotors about their work (but it is so good, why wouldn't I?) and have to reconcile their "good person" identity with their behavior. Natural normal human. We can help you with your next novel, or maybe critique this one. I will definitely tell you what I feel you did right, not just what I didn't like.

;);)
We have some ASD2s, but I doubt that ASD3s are represented here (other than through their relatives).

First of all warm welcome to the forum Exbrewer :)

( Carefully tap on Crossbreeds shoulder) Er exuse me. Remember me ;) ( ASD 3) ;) i know a few in here with ASD 3 so you cant say were not represented in here other then by our relatives;) :)

Further more i have had the honer of meeting others with ASD 3 in other forums so belive me were out there as well my friend ;)

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies and words of welcome. I will aim to stick around and promise to try to contribute positively, albeit from a NT perspective! If it helps regarding the book, this very nearly ended up hidden at the back of a cupboard. I needed a lot of persuasion to have it published. I am now being encouraged to write a sequel but am far from convinced it is the right thing to do.

Many thanks for the replies and words of welcome. I will aim to stick around and promise to try to contribute positively, albeit from a NT perspective! If it helps regarding the book, this very nearly ended up hidden at the back of a cupboard. I needed a lot of persuasion to have it published. I am now being encouraged to write a sequel but am far from convinced it is the right thing to do.

Do you have enough material for a sequel?

New Threads

Top Bottom