• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey

MadFit

Hey everyone!

I am a beginner weight lifter who plateaued, I am semi-addicted to scrabble, an old Nintendo switch fan (I play less often now though) and a new Netflix binge-watcher. Currently watching Wednesday TV shows and watched a few musical movies lately - animated ones the Diana musical.

I am currently a software developer settled into my current job and have some good friends as i am a part of a neuro-diverse group IRL and I am friends with some of my friends’ friends I meet at birthday parties etc. I’d say this is the best time in my life.

Can’t wait to make some even more friends

1669764687859.png

Welcome! It sounds like you’ve incorporated some really positive things into your life.

There are lots of different types of word games here in the Forum Games section that you may like if you’re into scrabble. Take your time checking us out, there’s so much going on here. Hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

Sometimes, I did a lot of that stuff when I was young and cocky. Now I'm just cocky. :) But I know how it is, I have plateaued too. It can be so darn annoying.
I’m only able to lift 6kg dumbbells in each hand with proper form for the upper body! I’m a girl btw, but not sure how some can lift much higher.

They recommend beginners begin with their body weight for deadlifts as well, I can’t actually pick even half that weight off the ground if i’m honest! Do i have cause for concern?

I’m only able to lift 6kg dumbbells in each hand with proper form for the upper body! I’m a girl btw, but not sure how some can lift much higher.

They recommend beginners begin with their body weight for deadlifts as well, I can’t actually pick even half that weight off the ground if i’m honest! Do i have cause for concern?

No, no need for concern I think. I'd say most people won't be able to deadlift their own bodyweight without spraining something if they are beginners. You're thinking about proper form, that's smart. That's more important than the weight. Proper form is so important.

My best tip is to remove a little weight and add repetitions for a while. For example, if you are able to lift an amount of weight 5-8 times before you reach that point where you just can't lift it again, try removing some weight and lift it 10-15 times for a while. Or even more than 10-15. Maybe for a couple of weeks or more if needed. Then add some weight and see how it feels. Plateauing can make it feel hopeless, but it's not as bad as it seems. You just need to adjust and change something, your body is getting used to what you are doing and it's fighting you. More repetitions with a little less weight often works well to break through the plateau. Good luck.

Last edited:
No, no need for concern I think. I'd say most people won't be able to deadlift their own bodyweight without spraining something if they are beginners. You're thinking about proper form, that's smart. That's more important than the weight. Proper form is so important.

My best tip is to remove a little weight and add repititions for a while. For example, if you are able to lift an amount of weight 5-8 times before you reach that point where you just can't lift it again, try removing some weight and lift it 10-15 times for a while. Maybe a couple of weeks or more if needed. Then add some weight and see how it feels. Plateauing can make it feel hopeless, but it not as bad as it seems. You just need to adjust and change something, more repititions often works well to break through the plateau. Good luck.
I usually do a drop set workout I found on youtube. It’s full body but I don’t count the number of repetitions I do. It’s limited by a timer for each workout following by rest intervala.

I usually do a drop set workout I found on youtube. It’s full body but I don’t count the number of repetitions I do. It’s limited by a timer for each workout following by rest intervala.

Drop sets are great, effective, one of my favorites. But if you're stuck, you could try to remove a little weight and still do drop sets, you just do more repetitions before you reach muscle failure. You can reach muscle failure after 4 reps or 16, if you're plateauing it could help with more reps before you reach full muscle failure.

Drop sets are great, effective, one of my favorites. But if you're stuck, you could try to remove a little weight and still do drop sets, you just do more repetitions before you reach muscle failure. You can reach muscle failure after 4 reps or 16, if you're plateauing it could help with more reps before you reach full muscle failure.
I do try to switch up the weight i work with from 4-7kg (7 for a challenge). what else has helped breaking through plateaus? Pilates? Yoga? Bodyweight moves? I still really struggle with the basic plank both forearm and high

I do try to switch up the weight i work with from 4-7kg (7 for a challenge). what else has helped breaking through plateaus? Pilates? Yoga? Bodyweight moves? I still really struggle with the basic plank both forearm and high

Drops sets is an advanced technique, so if you are a beginner you probably just need a little time. When I plateaued, and I have done it several times, I tried different things and doing that thing I mentioned, less weight and more reps for a while, worked well for me to get through it. I did drop sets with reps up to 15-20 before I reached failure. That's what Arnold Schwarzenegger and the big boys did. :) They were doing reps like crazy, 20-30-50 reps. Then I tried with more weight and less reps after a while.

Drops sets is an advanced technique, so if you are a beginner you probably just need a little time. When I plateaued, and I have done it several times, I tried different things and doing that thing I mentioned, less weight and more reps for a while, worked well for me to get through it. I did drop sets with reps up 15-20 before I reached failure. That's what Arnold Schwarzenegger and the big boys did. :) They were doing reps like crazy, 20-30-50 reps. Then I tried with more weight and less reps after a while.
For me it was the opposite that helped me overcome a plateau ☺️

Are you recommending against drop sets as a beginner? Would you suggest conventional sets over this?

I do the same workout a few times a week so you raise a point, perhaps i need to experiment a bit more?

Just wanna ask how did you learn proper form - did you work with a personal trainer? I don’t actually know how a neutral spine should feel and when i try out new workouts with a moderately heavy weight i notice a hunched back. I don’t have great body awareness, any tips on that without having to fund a personal trainer?

Are you recommending against drop sets as a beginner? Would you suggest conventional sets over this?

No, if you like drop sets just go for it. It's very effective I think. I love drop sets. It's just a straining technique for beginners. And the plateauing, whatever works for you, works for you. It can be different for people. But I think the main thing is to not continue doing the exact same thing. When you plateau you need to change it up a little somehow.

I do the same workout a few times a week so you raise a point, perhaps i need to experiment a bit more?

Just wanna ask how did you learn proper form - did you work with a personal trainer? I don’t actually know how a neutral spine should feel and when i try out new workouts with a moderately heavy weight i notice a hunched back. I don’t have great body awareness, any tips on that without having to fund a personal trainer?

I went to a college for athletes, we learned all that stuff there. Neutral spine, you just have to keep your back straight and shoulders tight. Don't let your shoulders drop down, that's how it starts, first the shoulders drop and then the back hunches. You want to lock it in place. I'm sure you have seen pictures, you just want to keep your back tight so it's almost straight with just a small natural curve that is the opposite of hunching. It just takes a little practice, when you get used to it you don't even think about it, it's a reflex doing it. Youtube is good for this, lots of videos there showing you how to do it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom