• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey guys

Hello and welcome! I've just joined myself, but I've already discovered that people here are very friendly and helpful.

Good morning and welcome! I don't know what kind of help you are needing, but I'm pretty sure you'll find something useful here at AC.

Welcome to AC! Feel free to start a thread and perhaps some me,very may be able to offer you some insights.

Welcome to AC.

What kind of help do you need?
I don't really know where to start... I guess I need some validation. I live with my mom and my grandparents in the fairly secluded neiborhood in the suburbs. My father bailed out on my mom before I was born, so I've always looked up to my grandfather... I think having him as my role model and living in his house has severely slowed down my mental and physical speeds in addition to cutting me off from the real world. This speed problem leads to stress, which I experience in every situation I encounter. And my high functioning autism, ADD, and memory issues make life pretty hard too.

I'm lucky enough to have gotten through high school as a loner who ate his lunch alone in a teacher's room. This afforded me the time necessary for someone with developmental issues to get a 4.1 GPA (yay!). Although, accommodations were probably made for me without my knowledge.

I need to know, what should I do with my time? I don't really know what I want; and I don't know if I should do what someone else wants me to do because it's for my own good. My parents can't advocate for me, and I don't think I can advocate for myself.

That's a tall order.
  • Are you employable? That is, do you have the heart and minimal mental faculties to persist in employment that fits your abilities? (A counselor could help you to determine that.) I have both, but my atrocious social skills make me unhireable in today's market.
  • Do you have any autistic special interests that are marketable or, better still, in demand? Pursue business and schooling opportunities in that direction. (Also, don't self-teach major skill sets. Many of us can do that [in our special interest(s)], but course & degree completions provide documented histories of acquired skill sets.)

New Threads

Top Bottom