• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

milktoast16

Hi everyone! :D

My name is Peyton and I am currently in my last year of high school. I live in Australia.

Whilst I am not on the spectrum myself, my older sister is. Living with and caring for someone with autism has been an eye-opening experience for me and has made me more passionate about mental health and wanting to make the world a better place. I love her so much and she is the world to me.

I came on here to connect with other people with autism, as well as those who have family members with autism. I am looking forward to talking to everyone here :)

Signing off,
Peyton :D

Out of interest, going by what you wrote on your second post about doing your research project - would you consider a "cure" for autism to be making "the world a better place"?

Autism is a spectrum, and each person's experiences, struggles and talents are highly individualistic. A bit like the term "cure for cancer" I doubt there would ever be a panacea to treat Autism. The term "cure" also suggests something defective that needs to be remedied. I think you'd find many on the spectrum don't believe that to be the case.

You would also have to ask who would willingly take it? It would irrevocably change who they are as a person. Would you consider that to be a good thing?

Some material and approaches to Autism, especially with regards to children seems to be about trying to "fix" something.

But we are not broken. We're simply different. Whilst humans might be at the top of the food chain, we're a lot less inclusive of diversity in our species compared to the rest of the natural world.

Ed

Hi everyone! :D

My name is Peyton and I am currently in my last year of high school. I live in Australia.

Whilst I am not on the spectrum myself, my older sister is. Living with and caring for someone with autism has been an eye-opening experience for me and has made me more passionate about mental health and wanting to make the world a better place. I love her so much and she is the world to me.

I came on here to connect with other people with autism, as well as those who have family members with autism. I am looking forward to talking to everyone here :)

Signing off,
Peyton :D
Co morbid conditions need care, autism doesn't! and autism is NOT a mental illness, its
a large percentage of neurotypicals wanting to manipulate and control anything that isn't n.t ,a percentage of nts pigeon hole autism into psychiatry

welcome to af.png

Welcome Peyton!

Many NT means to cure autism as a way to express their desire that autist people would have the same tools NT have without lossing their special and good traits.

Most NT have no idea of the history of what "cure autism" actually meant, like electrick shocks or conditioning love, sensory torture, and many of those things.

I just finished "Neurotribes" which is a book about the history of autism and wow, I was shocked and felt horror at how some people tortured autists to "cure" them, but she probably has no idea.

Also all NT are wired in the way that they want others be "normal". So asking an NT not to want her sister to be normal may be as asking an autist to love footbal intead of their personal interest. NT brains are wired that way, they cant stop to want others to be "normal". It part of their mental disorder :rolleyes::p:D;)

So welcome Peyton!

Autism is a great gift. It's just the co-morbids and other peoples' treatment that makes it hard. I would take autism any day because even without autism, NT's have their own co-morbids and often have lesser insight on how to treat them. I love my autism.

If I could change anything, it would be to keep the predators away. Keep predators away from you sister, both individual and corporate. Individuals will be both drawn to or infuriated by or jealous of or perplexed by her innocence and intelligence. And corporations will see massive and huge profits from making her "need" them.

It's a long journey to find safe people and if she is young, watch out. Those you think safe may have agendas or just burning curiosity and get obsessed. There is a trail of misused people here. Be her guard dog and don't be afraid to snarl.

Welcome. Others have answered you so very well. I think that the mental health issues people see do not come from the Autistic mind, but because of the way other people react to us. Because of social neglect one could have diagnosed me as having Schizotypal Personality Disorder as a teen and young adult because I reinforced the isolation I felt.

I know that women show different characteristics than men, but I do not know what, precisely. A common element seems to be lack of social skills. Yet, Autistics have social needs and desires and lack the ability to have these met. If your sister needs social guidance, I hope you are close enough to guide her to assist her becoming the best person that she can be.

New Threads

Top Bottom