• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey all, not long ago undiagnosed person with no access to second opinion any time soon here

breakpoint64

(title is supposed to say “second opinion” huh)
Hey, I’m new to this place I guess and debated myself for a long while to actually create an account on an ASD forum, It doesn’t help that early this year I decided to spend a significant amount of money to actually get diagnosed finally after years!

Except I didn’t get diagnosed.
I have been told that my language delay and echolalia (something I were put i therapy as a child) I had during my early childhood just imply that I could impossibly have Aspergers.

I couldn’t have Infant Autism due to “lack of evidence” and parents being unsure when exactly I’ve had my language delay.

And I also couldn’t have atypical autism due to the lack of intellectual disability

I live in a country where the ICD-10 is exclusively used and were told that I have been done a favor for not getting a diagnosis. My experiences mean nothing on whether or not I am on the spectrum but I still want to be part of this community solely out of spite. I do however have an ADHD diagnosis but noticed that the communities I were in felt rather depressing than supportive.

ASD is something alongside ADHD I have suspected for uhhh since high school I did go to therapy for suspected autism as a child.

I have received an ADHD diagnosis a few years ago and while receiving a diagnosis and getting help helped me to get my life together, I still wanted to get a question on whether or not I am on the spectrum, since you are on the spectrum or you aren’t, no in between from what I have read.

It just happens that I didn’t look autistic enough for the ADOS and I wasn’t allowed to fill out any questionnaire during the assessment process and being told that my special interests I have had since I was a child, inability to engage with other people’s humor and feeling uncomfortable with certain food like ketchup or that fat from steak means nothing.

My experiences don’t matter but I still want to talk about mine out of spite, i shouldn’t actually part of this but I am out of spite, I am likely incredibly fake and making everything up like I have been told for years but I’m still here out of spite.

I don’t want to call it a “self-diagnosis” because at this point I have downright annoyed my ADHD therapist to tell me that there is a very likely chance that I’m “sub clinically” on the spectrum. Despite being told that I could be impossibly on the spectrum by a so called “professional”.

If I never went to the assessment back then which I should have but regret that I still did it I probably would have felt more comfortable calling it a “self diagnosis” and not “disagreeing with someone who has studied a subject and earned a degree I am just a layman about”

I’ve never related to Christopher from Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime because I envy people who find enjoyment in numbers without experiencing the trigger of constantly being reinforced that they are horribly bad at math.

I did however relate to Abed from Community, his thought process, his interests, his character finally allowed me to perceive how other people usually see me before they lash out their 500th unfunny Sheldon Cooper comparison joke. I had to bother with during my teenhood.

At this point I am probably writing an essay now but it’s important for me for people to get the full picture of the situation I’m stuck in and my constant feeling of having an identity crisis where I just want to accept myself but I feel like I am not allowed to have an explanation.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I don't recall where, but I remember reading somewhere that about 80-85% of those who actively go out to seek a diagnosis on their own initiative eventually get one, and for some, it's on the second or third opinion that they get it.

As for language delay, if I understand correctly, that is a piece of the puzzle, but not a necessary piece to my understanding (here, I'm referring to Dr. Attwood's description of arriving at a diagnosis, and needing to have both enough pieces, and the key corner pieces)

Welcome!

I don't recall where, but I remember reading somewhere that about 80-85% of those who actively go out to seek a diagnosis on their own initiative eventually get one, and for some, it's on the second or third opinion that they get it.

As for language delay, if I understand correctly, that is a piece of the puzzle, but not a necessary piece to my understanding (here, I'm referring to Dr. Attwood's description of arriving at a diagnosis, and needing to have both enough pieces, and the key corner pieces)
Not sure the exact meaning of this, but from what I have been told my language development was noticeably delayed and it took me until the age of 6 to actually speak similar to an NT person. I have had echolalia moments where I spoke phrases I have picked up else where despite having never spoken before as an infant.

Not sure the exact meaning of this, but from what I have been told my language development was noticeably delayed and it took me until the age of 6 to actually speak similar to an NT person. I have had echolalia moments where I spoke phrases I have picked up else where despite having never spoken before as an infant.

I was referring to your comment
parents being unsure when exactly I’ve had my language delay.

and what I meant was even if the diagnoser felt they didn't have enough information about the delay, that even if there was no delay, that it shouldn't strike out the possibility of a diagnosis.

Welcome, @breakpoint64!

Except I didn’t get diagnosed.

Whether you are formally diagnosed or not, I hope you find this forum useful. You don't have to have a doctor's note to talk about your struggles and victories, and to learn from others here.

I didn’t look autistic enough

That's a sore point for me. I think that if someone says you don't "look" autistic, then they're automatically not qualified to diagnose you.

I’ve never related to Christopher from Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime because I envy people who find enjoyment in numbers without experiencing the trigger of constantly being reinforced that they are horribly bad at math.

That's a stereotype - I think those with good math skills are the minority on this site. I fell for other stereotypes a few years ago that made me think I couldn't be autistic because I didn't have mad art skills. Others on this forum have often said, "If you meet one Aspie, you've met one Aspie." Every single one of us is different. Welcome to the mix!

Hi and welcome. I'm self diagnosed, and I don't know if I would get a diagnosis. That point they made to you about they were somehow helping you by not giving a diagnosis tells part of the story, but I think the other side of that coin is that they're under pressure not to diagnose if possible.

If you have researched this and are pretty convinced you have it through your inner experience of how you are, then with them also agreeing you have possible Aspergers I think that's plenty enough to presume this is affecting you. You can find strategies and discuss issues here with others to gain support and validation.

I am sorry if you needed a diagnosis for any financial or support reasons, but other than that, it's a label, the real work is how to cope with how you are. With ADHD too, you are already on the neurodiverse spectrum in any case, and many here may have ideas you may find interesting or supportive.

:rocket::runner::helicopter::rowboat::rocket::surfer::helicopter::snowboarder::rocket:

Welcome breakpoint64.

Hope you like it here and enjoy the different posts.
'tis true, we are a mixed bag here. Glad you joined in!

Welcome @breakpoint64

glad to have you with us, do hang around awhile and get to know us, and look at some of the older threads. Lots of good experience there.

Hi and welcome. I'm self diagnosed, and I don't know if I would get a diagnosis. That point they made to you about they were somehow helping you by not giving a diagnosis tells part of the story, but I think the other side of that coin is that they're under pressure not to diagnose if possible.

If you have researched this and are pretty convinced you have it through your inner experience of how you are, then with them also agreeing you have possible Aspergers I think that's plenty enough to presume this is affecting you. You can find strategies and discuss issues here with others to gain support and validation.

I am sorry if you needed a diagnosis for any financial or support reasons, but other than that, it's a label, the real work is how to cope with how you are. With ADHD too, you are already on the neurodiverse spectrum in any case, and many here may have ideas you may find interesting or supportive.

:rocket::runner::helicopter::rowboat::rocket::surfer::helicopter::snowboarder::rocket:

Thanks, I’m probably more comfortable with “high functioning ASD” than “Aspergers” because I’ve had a language delay as a child.
And that’s really just what drives me into insanity, I’m “too autistic” for Aspergers but not “autistic enough” for Infant Autism but I lack the intellectual disability for atypical autism.

It’s just super wrong to me to call myself an “Aspie” because of the language delay and “HFA” and “Aspergers” being used interchangeably doesn’t really help.

No idea if that’s because I tend to internalize really badly, take things too literal or I am just afraid that I look “anti science” regarding neurodevelopmental conditions even though the weird technicality about the language delay is probably one of the reasons why it doesn’t exist anymore as a diagnosis label. But sadly I don’t live in a country that uses the DSM-5 and professionals tend to be incredibly stubborn when someone brings up something that isn’t in the ICD-10.

For example, I have an ADD diagnosis even though my ADHD professional back then told me it’s combined ADHD, she couldn’t diagnose me with that because “combined ADHD” just doesn’t exist in the ICD-10. I still do call that one ADHD because I have been told by a professional that this is what I have even if the ICD-10 doesn’t agree with it in that specific form.

Just couldn’t say the same for “Aspergers” because my language delay is the reason why I could impossibly have it. I know there was a clear bias in the diagnosis process like me having “some extroverted features” because I took place in a acting group in school for a while means that I’m just making stuff up about ASD, dismissing my struggles that I constantly had to practice emphasizing my text correctly for the stage play which was super hard for me.

I wish I wouldn’t have to care too much about technicalities but oh well.

You're only given a label for support ,iam Asperger's but therapists are going or have gone to ASD1 ,but it's still individual ,everyone really has problems with talking ,

Asperger's just means you started to speak at about one or two ,it's still not nicer than language delay, just different ,but again that's NT therapists,if you don't measure up to the arrogant standard of Neurotypical, then you are insulted by a grade for being different .
I waited 45 years for a diagnosis if you are shocked by the time you'll get over it ,oldest person in the UK 83 ,but think !there are people now dead who never had any knowledge,diagnosis, help.
Do you need money from the government or help from a university? if not you could wait if you think it could help

New Threads

Top Bottom