• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

mikie1011

so i will be having surgery in a few months the surgery that will be done is pharyngeal flap surgery and maybe sinus surgery too i have too get a ct scan soon too find out im ok with both but longer hospital stay which is ok the surgery will be done in regular hospital but still one on one care they said as i have spiceal needs but i may still have my own room he said on surgery day i have too get a pic line in the hospital room than in afternoon that day surgery that's scary but i asked if i can get liquid versed in pre op too before they take me back they said that was ok thats good right than mask in or room im going wear pajamas that day and take a stuffed animal so im calm im a spiceal needs super hero if you knew my my diagnoses you would understand ok i have autism, adhd, deplomental delays, speech and learning issues, sensory issues, so surgery will be harder for me with recovery im going be brave they wont hurt me i know i may have monitors hooked too me maybe oxygen , im going be the brave superhero i am and get though it wish me luck im going need a pretty big surgery soon maybe 2 surgeys depends on ct scan but im ok as at least its not right now i have time too prepare thanks everyone

Hope all goes well. Maybe trying to think about how much better things will be after the surgeries are done and healed will help? You are strong and brave, you can do this!

Been through some myself and it is frightening, because of so many different elements involved, but I have always received a calming tablet, and that has helped and also, got to have my own room.

The worst part for me, is when I have had to shower, washing myself in this liquid, and had to really brace myself for that, since I hate water.

I can have an op on my carpal tunnel, but doing all I can to not get that far.

If internet is allowed, you can always pop here and talk to us, if you feel overwhelmed.

You can do it!

I've had several major surgeries, including cancer.
I didn't like the pre-op versed. It made me dizzy and only worsened the anxiety.
I prefer to just go in awake and see everything. They let me put the anesthesia mask to me face
myself. Just one deep breath and that's it.
Recovery is the hardest, but, they have a lot of ways to make it not so bad.

Good luck for everything. I get special needs treatment and my own room too. That really helps.

You are brave, indeed! Please do post as you can to let us know how things go. And after it's all over, tell us how it went and how you dealt with everything. Then you will be one that others will take courage from! :) Stay calm and may you be healthy again soon

I'm pretty sure the pre-op versed (if it was versed) actually knocked me out. They told me this wasn't the anesthetic, it was just for anxiety (despite the fact that I wasn't experiencing anxiety) and I don't remember anything after about 10 seconds after they put it in my IV lol. I have no recollection of an anesthetic mask or anything.

I'm actually really glad my first major surgery was an emergency (appendicitis). I didn't have time to worry about it. If it had been planned, I would have been a wreck for weeks beforehand, but it happened pretty fast and by the time I knew I was getting surgery I was a) in too much pain to be anxious and then b) full of morphine so I probably wouldn't have cared if they ran me over with a truck.

Mikie,
Good luck with everything. :) I am at work, right now,...on my lunch break,...I know OUR surgical team does take special precautions with their autistic patients. I see, even today, we have one patient that is highlighted as having autism, as well as, any special considerations that need to be taken.

If your surgical team is anything like ours, you will be given the best of care.;)

sorry i asked this but im scared please offer kind advice hello i might need dental work soon the place i go uses liquid versed a syrup i drink that is watermelon flavored and the laughing gas which will smell like bubble gum and 1 ketamine shots and they use a blue papoose board with a head immobilizer, pulse thing on my toe, the work i might need is fillings crowns deep cleaning sealants, the place as that you wear pajamas or comfy clothes, they ask that a pullup or diaper is worn too not required bit recommenced they allow stuffed animals too the visit would take 4 hours i do have autism and special needs the place is pediatric dental place any support helps

Dentists will do their best to make you as comfortable as possible. Fillings are usually done quickly. A crown will take a couple of visits. Deep cleaning appointments are usually done in about 20 minutes.

Visiting the dentist for work isn't nice, but all procedures are done very quickly. So the time you spend worrying about it lasts a lot longer than the procedures themselves.

Be honest with them about your worries, and they will do what they can to help ease your fears.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom