• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help

Peggy T

Hi im new here im just panicking right now with the mere thought i have aspergers because its like a revelation and i just dont know what to think anymore. Like about myself my life everything i am baffled and feel really vulnerable suddenly like everyone knows or has known except me its so scary.. past events keep flashing into my memory its overwhelming i dont know if anyone can relate?

upload_2017-8-7_14-34-53.png

Welcome to the forum :) I'm new here too so I felt the same way but don't worry because all the people I have talked to on here are really friendly.

I think you're going to search for topics here, and post here, and read other posts here, and have a massive realization that, omg, all of these other people share all of these same experiences???? WHOA.....! :) I have never found such a group of people who truly seem like me "tribe". It is a good feeling. And it is so helpful - people here can genuinely help and understand! So welcome :)

Hi im new here im just panicking right now with the mere thought i have aspergers because its like a revelation and i just dont know what to think anymore. Like about myself my life everything i am baffled and feel really vulnerable suddenly like everyone knows or has known except me its so scary.. past events keep flashing into my memory its overwhelming i dont know if anyone can relate?
i wasnt scared i COULDNT reconcile autism to me as there was no publicity about mild high functioning autism.
diagnosis was not world shifting, i associated autism with young boys and a certain movie (film) -again a male character .
there was no temple grandin lecturer in animal science also h.f.a.
I'm 47 -the oldest person in the UK to be diagnosed with the label autism was?is? 83 years old imagine that persons reaction

Its nice to hear back. Thank u everyone. Ive not been diagnosed but looked into because i noticed things in my 3 year old when lookin ino it i recognised myself. Made me feel happy at 1st then vulnerable especially looking atmy past which seems to crop up a lot in my mind probably because im remembring my childhood etc relating o my son.

And ive given up smoking a week ago and reduced my prozac ( now increased again) so all that = anxiety. Just dont want my kids suffering if they're going to get hurt by others too...

Its nice to hear back. Thank u everyone. Ive not been diagnosed but looked into because i noticed things in my 3 year old when lookin ino it i recognised myself. Made me feel happy at 1st then vulnerable especially looking atmy past which seems to crop up a lot in my mind probably because im remembring my childhood etc relating o my son.
i think it's pretty amazing that you've been given the opportunity to be able to RE-remember yourself. & looking into the eyes of your son & seeing yourself sounds BEAUTIFUL. vulnerability is CRITICAL to growth. no matter your "label" or "diagnosis"; getting to know yourself is super important. & in my opinion, if you're searching an aspie site and resonating with what you're reading, you probably are in fact, neurodiverse. Don't worry though, its not a death sentence. :)
you've always been aspie, since inception & guess what? you have gotten this far already without support, imagine what you'll be capable of now?

so ... don't sweat it. :)

love & light .

Hello Peggy and welcome :)

Take a deep breath... or a couple, and relax.
All that's changed is your perception.
The understanding of why you do what you do could be a godsend in helping you move forward and find ways in which to cope with the day to day stuff.

You may feel a little overwhelmed with those memories that come rushing forward to confirm what you suspect but they will settle down shortly. Ask questions, search the site for topics you're curious about. There's nobody here that will be able to diagnose you (Only your health professionals will be able to do that) I'm quite a newbie myself but to date, I've had nothing but acceptance and respect from the good folk on this site.
It's a nice place to spend some time. Somewhere I feel I can be myself, (without judgement)
I hope you can feel the same way :)

This site has been a life saver for me. (quite literally)

And ive given up smoking a week ago and reduced my prozac ( now increased again) so all that = anxiety. Just dont want my kids suffering if they're going to get hurt by others too...
Hang in there and keep pluggin'

I have less than two weeks to go now for my first full year of no cigarettes :cool:
38 years of a nasty habit is all in the rear view mirror now :)

Now as for the added weight gain,that's an entirely new dilemma :D

i quit hard drugs over a year ago cold turkey... i get it, theres safety in numbers... I'm telling you. :)

Last edited:
Welcome. I have never been on a chat site either. I too was researching on my own prior to contemplating official diagnosis.
This site, and the amazingly unique and brave people commenting on it, saved my sanity.
I went back through ALL my memories with an Aspie brush and had to rewrite history...or at least how it was remembered and recorded in my brain.
It takes time.
As i understood more about how it manifests in me , i came to an awareness and understanding of who I am...as opposed to the utterly confused state i was in my whole life trying to be someone... anyone... else....
I was encouraged by those here to seek diagnosis as their stories of acceptance and that it doesn't matter if i did or didn't it won't change who i am or how i see myself made me realise i am content with who i am regardless.
I think you will find lots of information and support here with plenty of light bulb moments and a few laughs

It is likely that most of the people on this site can relate to your problems. The little light bulbs appear over our heads often when we hang out here. It is just great hearing about others' experiences that correlate with our own.

When we share the experiences and solutions to dealing with them, it encourages everyone and we all feel better. It is just a nice feeling.

'Lo Peggy, and welcome to AC! It is true, so many of us can related to each other here in terms of past experiences. I've been experiencing various struggles throughout my life and for years I never had a real answer. It took me almost 30 years to finally see a therapist, and I should have done it a LOT sooner instead of waiting for it to go away. Ever since he told me that I have Asperger's everything just clicked and made sense...anxieties, social issues, inability to control emotions, bad communication skills, being bullied and made fun of, people always being frustrated by me, self-hatred, loneliness, meltdowns, so much more. It feels so much better to live with an answer, but it also means that I need to learn how to manage it in order to survive in the NT world - and that's what my therapist and I are working on. I will need to have years of sessions in order to even be remotely close to mastering this. It doesn't change the fact that I've missed out on so much happiness in life. I'm really glad you joined because being a member of AC helps me (and zillions of others) so much! Not to mention feeling right at home and making new friends; I've never been able to really fit anywhere. It also gives me a pleasure to help out others who are struggling on here. I've been on this site for a little over two months but it made such a huge difference and I even communicate with some of the members by other means. A+ material for sure.

New Threads

Top Bottom