• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help with Thunderstorms

Pocket86

I have sensory issues and any unexpected loud noises terrify me. For this reason, I hate storms. I am terrified of them. Does anyone else have a problem with storms? Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this?

Can you try some sensory aids/soothers, such as noise-cancelling headphones, and a weighted vest? Just a thought. My compassion for your challenges.

I used to be terrified of thunderstorms; the loudness and awesome power that can kill! I would shake and each noise it felt like my heart had stopped beating with fright.

One day, however, a rather nasty flash of lighting occurred ( hate that too ie the sudden brightness) and it suddenly came to me that by the time it caught me, I would either be unconscious or dead and thus, no time to panic! And the noise is just that, a noise. I lost my fear!

I now put my music on to drown out the sound and a light on to dull the effects of the bright, piercing light.

Still relieved when it finishes though!

That's rough, Pocket86, I know for me any sudden unexpected noises send a jolt of fear through me. The noise doesn't even need to be loud, just unexpected.
If perhpas you kept up with the forecast, and were as Warmheart suggested prepared with noise cancelling headphones and the weighted vest or other comfort, it might help. That way you have some control and a way for your brain to think "plan" instead of anxiety and the fear?
I have real interest in skies, storms and lightening; I find if I am actively observing a thunderstorm it feels different and much less startling. Perhaps if you read about the science of them it might help?
I used to live in the desert southwest which has humungous storms in summer, so I know that those unexpected explosion type thunder-claps can be terrifying. When those storms would build, I'd feel it and close all the windows in preparation, get my animals inside, and make tea for myself.

Me.
I have sensory issue too, it's really annoying
Storm, lighting, sunlight, people talking...hell no!
but I love the rainy noise, also the "after rain smell", very fresh and earthy!

Yes, I developed phobias I think after some scary experiences and they became quite severe. For me the answer was anxiety medication which has pretty much eliminated the problem. Though I also find not looking at the weather helpful. If I knew there might be severe thunderstorms in 3 days, I would worry about it for three days uselessly in advance. So I restrict my weather checks to just at the moment, like can I take the dogs out now, or will it snow today, etc.

I dislike sudden noises, sometimes even if they're not particularly loud. I've learned to accept them as part of the environment over the years, but I can still be easily startled.
Oddly, I have no problem with natural noises.. it's as if they are meant to be there and so it's perfectly ok.. the more in tune I feel with nature, the better this is - it's only when I feel separate (mostly when I was younger) that it can be a problem.

I think what helped me was being able to expect the thunder. Though the individual thunderclaps are of course sudden, when the weather is stormy they are not unexpected. I learned to sort of pre-cringe, tried to stay ready for them before they happened. And of course, if you see the lightening flash you know the thunder will be coming soon (about 5 sec. per mile distance to the lightening bolt).

Good luck.

As a child I loved storms with their thunders and lightnings: clearing of streets from people before rain falls, a growing tense before incoming storm. It's so exciting and cathartic (renewing)!
As I became older I got to loose the feel and thrill of natural magic, so the storm is just loud unexpected blasting sounds, flashes of lightning and lots of sudden cold water from above. Now I became to feel frightened when storm is coming...

I never had a problem with thunderstorms but it became quite an issue for me about 10 years ago.

Therapy didn't help. Trying to drown out the noise didn't help.

But then my partner started to explain to me what thunderstorms actually are.. Each thunderstorm we would go through the same discussion, 'the Thunder is just the sound of the lightning .. But because light travels faster than sound, we see the Lightning before we hear the thunder. The longer the longer, the further away it actually is'

We even have this discussion when there is no thunderstorm sometimes too.

Improving my understanding of them has helped to lessen my fear.

On top of that, we found some awesome sensory jewelry for aspies on eBay. I bought a necklace and its made of this wonderful material that I can chew for hours on end and it never changes shape or discolours. It's been so very helpful in so many situations. I love it.

I dislike thunderstorms too, but only because over half of them seem accompanied by tornado warnings and watches. Aside from that, I don't mind the light or the noise. Sometimes it's fun to see if I can guess how far away the lightning is by counting the seconds between the lightning and the thunder. I do get grumpy if the power or internet goes out.

I think a weighted blanket might really help you.

Have you ever heard of the Thundershirt? It's a compression vest for dogs who get stressed or anxious when they hear loud noises and I always hear about how well it works. It's basically just a tight vest that gives constant a pressure/swaddling effect. I'm definitely not implying that you're like a dog, but just that all mammal's nervous systems can sometimes work similarly.

Anyway, that's the first thing I thought of and why I think the weighted blanket could work for you. Best of luck!

PS- You can't hear any actual thunder in the video, just a little loud wind:)

I actually like thunderstorms, and always have, but I have another problem - they tend to make me sick with migraines :disappointed:
I'm sensitive to barometric pressure.

I am afraid of cyclones though (we've had a few). I don't like the high wind, the banging, the weird air....though, every time there is one approaching I become obsessed with it; news reports, weather sites, the wind maps.....It actually helps in my case. I feel more in control somehow.

On another note, I've really got to get me one of these weighted blankets. They sound yummy good :relaxed::sleeping:

You, know I actually have gotten over my fear of thunderstorms and lightning in particular. So much so that when we get a storm at night I want to go up on this little open knoll next to the house and raise my arms and shout to the storm. "I am not afraid of you any more!" But what stops me is an image, of my wife coming out the next morning and finding this scorched patch of ground and one sneaker maybe. I know what she would be thinking too. 'He was such an idiot."
:D

New Threads

Top Bottom