• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

HELP PLEASE! Aspy Under Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

TempeFan

This happened to me a lot. I'd be at work trying to do my job while my coworkers were hanging around my desk gossiping about something I knew nothing about and was not interested in, like who did what and who's cheating on who. They ask me who I think did it and get mad at me for ignoring them and then the supervisor gets up in my face, calls me antisocial and point blank demands I answer them, which I do, truthfully by saying, "I don't know. It wasn't me." Apparently, there is something Aspy about the way I say "not me", such as not the right eye contact, glancing in the wrong direction, not displaying the expected emotion, an unintentional intelligent stern or scary look on my face, etc. Next thing I know, I am fired because, as it turns out, unbeknownst to me, the supervisor was the guilty party and her guilty conscience caused her to misinterpret my stating the fact I hadn't done it as an accusation she had. I understand now that this is the inevitable consequence of working on the job instead of participating in the office grapevine. I'm glad to be retired out of that mess but now have a similar problem I need advice on quick.
----
Right now I am stuck in a conversation with somebody who is beating himself up over making a big mistake that hurt someone he loves. Apparently, his guilty conscience kicked him in the behind after he heard me make a compassionate observation in response to someone else's question. Instead of attempting to correct his mistake and help his loved one deal with the consequences inflicted on her, he is making excuses and redirecting all his anger and frustration at an innocent bystander - me. It is obvious he is just trying to make himself feel better by blaming everyone else for the consequences of his actions/inactions, so I don't take his attack on me personally. If this person was just being a jerk, I could simply ignore him but this is a VIP making a very public cry for help and if I don't handle this situation just right, I may be expelled from a place I really want to stay.

What really concerns me is that this person's whole family, including an Aspy child, is hurting and needs our help. The dad is stuck being extremely judgmental and critical of himself and others which prevents him from applying any compassion or empathy or attempt at understanding toward his daughter. I have been listening very closely and open mindedly and objectively and understand their situation very clearly. He seems obsessed with the fallacy that his chosing the wrong solution is the problem, when there is no right or wrong answer to his particular dilemna. Either solution would have worked, if he had just followed through with the parenting. The real problem is the original one which has already escalated into violence. The consequeneces of his playing the blame game instead of concentrating on helping the child learn to develop better habits in dealing with her challenges is still making it worse for everybody.

How do I help him get unstuck? Before it is too late, he needs to understand that in his eagerness to help someone, he took the wrong advice from a professional quack and it backfired, and that he should forgive himself and start doing what he was trying to accomplish in the first place which is finding the best way to deal with his daughter's behavioral challenges. Making a decision to turn left or right at a crossroads doesn't get you to the final destination. You have to keep adjusting your course until you get where you are going or else you are just lost.

What's to prevent you from saying basically what you
wrote in the last paragraph?

What's to prevent you from saying basically what you
wrote in the last paragraph?

I have been. He's so focused on redefining the problem to be not his fault that he is not listening. He just deflects, calls me names, makes excuses, says I don't understand .

I'd agree that your summary in the last paragraph sounds like good advice, but if he's not receptive there may be little more you can do.
All too often I have been caught up in the NT blame game and on occasion, trying to help backfires into you being contrived into taking the blame. Some people are obsessed with blame and will go to great lengths to absolve themselves, even at the expense of those they have wronged in the first place.

I agree with @Autistamatic that advice may backfire on you. He wants to blame someone, anyone but himself and you don't want to be that person he ends up blaming. I'd listen and try to sound sympathetic - things like I understand, but without giving advice.
How can you be fired for not gossiping? I also never would participate in gossip and people got mad at me for not responding.

I'd agree that your summary in the last paragraph sounds like good advice, but if he's not receptive there may be little more you can do.
All too often I have been caught up in the NT blame game and on occasion, trying to help backfires into you being contrived into taking the blame. Some people are obsessed with blame and will go to great lengths to absolve themselves, even at the expense of those they have wronged in the first place.

That was quick, my friend. Thanks for not making me wait for your wisdom.
I have learned the hard way not to get caught up in the NT blame game and ordinarily I would just walk/run away but this is no ordinary guy. I can't just push the ignore button. He's an Aspy. One of us. His kid really needs help. Maybe he would listen to you. The other time I was attacked, you were the knight in shining armor who told the guy to stop being such a jerk in the way only you can.

How aware is this guy of his AS traits do you think? Is he public about his AS status? Is his miscalculation the result of something he has missed possibly because of his AS or is it likely a mistake he could have made anyway?
Obviously blame is not a purely NT game. We can do it too. Maybe he has a history of being blamed for things that are NOT his fault and so is afraid of the consequences of this decision?

Seems to me there are some misunderstandings at work here, creating more conflict than is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom