• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help! my attention span is getting awful

Gerontius

V.I.P Member
So I haven't been contributing on the Forum as much lately. I haven't felt like writing even though so many great people are here. Finals week has been stressful (and so have a lot of changes with moving) and so I know that can diminish concentrating--

But my concentration has packed up & escaped. Any idea how one might improve concentration? I have been almost feeling ADHD-level symptoms but don't want to try for any sort of diagnosis. I know I get very depressed and that I may have ADHD traits, and I also know that that could either be those disorders or it could be autism stuff.

Is this cyclical, or amI gradually just losing my mind?

I guess some would say that meditation might help with concentration. Not so many are into meditation.

Maybe a hobby that would require concentration but that you would enjoy, a positive context for concentration sort of thing. Building models maybe? I'd suggest playing pool, but that could be problematic during the pandemic. Such things might not just train you to concentrate, but also take your mind off the sources of stress.

Is this cyclical, or am I gradually just losing my mind?

The following comment may or may not be appropriate: Provigil is baby speed. That's usually safe. Ritalin and (worse) Adderral are actual speed (serious). Meth is the worst of them all, not suitable for any humans. You can struggle for years, or you can try speed- meeting a wide new range of problems. Good luck! :grimacing:

The following comment may or may not be appropriate: Provigil is baby speed. That's usually safe. Ritalin and (worse) Adderral are actual speed (serious). Meth is the worst of them all, not suitable for any humans. You can struggle for years, or you can try speed- meeting a wide new range of problems. Good luck! :grimacing:
For me, just coffee works quite well.

Go on a diet off of all tech for a month. You will learn to not be bored so easily, and will learn new pastimes and hobbies. You'll be able to just sit and stare out the window, and enjoy the day for what it is.

In troubleshooting the first thing you look at is the last thing that happened. In this case a period of high stress/change/anxiety. When those conditions decrease things should improve.

It like moving your hand from side to side in the bath. It makes waves sloshing back and forth. But when you remove the hand, the waves immediately begin to diminish and then settle out completely.

Bingo. Get rid of your phone for at least a week. You'll sit in front of a window in the mornings, holding a cup of coffee with both hands. Gazing out into the forest with a new sense of gratitude for how amazing the world is.:laughing:

So I haven't been contributing on the Forum as much lately. I haven't felt like writing even though so many great people are here. Finals week has been stressful (and so have a lot of changes with moving) and so I know that can diminish concentrating--

But my concentration has packed up & escaped. Any idea how one might improve concentration? I have been almost feeling ADHD-level symptoms but don't want to try for any sort of diagnosis. I know I get very depressed and that I may have ADHD traits, and I also know that that could either be those disorders or it could be autism stuff.

Are you fasting this Advent? Most people finding it difficult to pray after having a meal, less food might make it easier for you to meditate, focus and reduce your stress.

Go on a diet off of all tech for a month. You will learn to not be bored so easily, and will learn new pastimes and hobbies. You'll be able to just sit and stare out the window, and enjoy the day for what it is.
I've been wanting to do that for years, but haven't been able to. Maybe I'll find an opportunity this Christmas and January.

Finals week!!!!!!!!!!!!exhaustation !!!!

I relate to this very much. I'm doing finals myself right now and up until recently it's been so frustrating that the time I need my attention and focus the most I'm just completely incapable of it. I have never received a diagnosis for ADHD myself, but it is one of the disorders that I feel I may have so school has been a struggle there.

From what I've read and experienced, it seems like people on the spectrum are particularly sensitive to food, so first of all, something that I have implemented and helped immediately was just making sure that I am eating primarily whole and homemade food- when I was stressed and living off junkfood or takeout was when my concentration was absolute trash. I of course knew that that sort of food wasn't great but I had no idea to what extent it was negatively impacting my mood and brain functions. Eating enough protein, and drinking enough water is probably the biggest help for me.

Another exercise is when I am feeling stressed and spacey, unable to focus, breathing deeply as a way to recenter helps. Really basic stretching as well (even for a few minutes has been beneficial).

I love making lists, and I used to be very disorganized in making my schedules, whereas I have now started being very strict about creating realistic goals for a day so I don't get overwhelmed and stressed out. Writing out what you want to get done may be a useful way to shorten the things your brain is trying to focus on. Scheduling breaks every hour or two has been very helpful as well.

If your environment has a lot of distractions it can also hurt your focus. I live with a roommate so normally just study in my room, but as they go to work during the day I've started working in the living-room and have had far more effective study periods without being surrounded by things that tempt me away from work. Working at the kitchen table or in a well lit quiet and relatively minimalist environment may be of help.

These are basic ones, but I've really found that just taking care of needs and prioritizing health has completely changed how my brain functions. Hope some of these can improve your concentration and good luck on finals!

In Catholicism do you fast anything apart from food?
In a sense yes, there are other kinds of things one can give up, especially during lent; some people actually sleep on the floor during lent during, I myself tried that one lent ago and plan on doing it again on, at the very least Fridays during this coming lent.

In a sense yes, there are other kinds of things one can give up, especially during lent; some people actually sleep on the floor during lent during, I myself tried that one lent ago and plan on doing it again on, at the very least Fridays during this coming lent.
I tried giving up the thing I liked the most it didn't seem as hard as i d thought but I'll stop have to be in the religion pigeonhole for this

This might help. While I know some people here aren't fond of this guy for various reasons, I think what he's saying here about regaining your concentration could be beneficial to you:

Seems like stress. Do you drink enough water and eat your greens? Dehydration and bad diet can also cause issues with memory and concentration. As well as habitual use of social media, internet surfing and too many phone notifications - these three rewire your brain towards distraction in my experience.

I expect stress is definetly the root cause last month my concentration did the same thing and I got stuck in my imagination for a while
Though there was also a lot of pent up negative emotion I was avoiding confronting at the same time.

Adderall is your friend, should your doctor be kind enough to prescribe it.

Yeah, you gotta hate short attention spans. Sometimes I wonder just how long I can concentra- Oh cool, American Dad's on.

New Threads

Top Bottom