• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help/insight on Aspie child's food obsession

JessJY

My nine year old son was diagnosed with Aspergers about four years ago. We have tried various therapies, psychiatrists, meds, etc. A year ago his doctor put him on abilify. Not only has his defiant, angry behavior increased, his eating has been out of control. He's always been concerned with meal times and knowing what we are going to have and when. I chalked that up to his need for structure and control. Now it's as though he's obsessed with food. He is a bottomless pit, never seems to go hungry, never stops asking for food. He's gained 30 pounds in a year. He has been off the abilify for about two weeks now, but I have not noticed much difference in appetite (or hostility) and I am very concerned. Not only is his obsession with food unhealthy, it's expensive. I know that as a parent it's my job to set the boundaries with him, when it comes to eating and everything else, but his meltdowns are unreal and I am at a loss. I thought I might get some insight from fellow folks on the spectrum, since his doctors and therapists haven't offered me much help.

whoa they put a nine year old on abilfy? Ok first of all speaking as someone who has a masters in clinical social work was that a psychiatrist or a GP? Because abilify is strong stuff. Second of all It can take almost a month to get meds out of person's system so that being said it might not mean anything that his behavior hasn't changed in such a short amount of time. I have my own issues with food as being an Aspie. A lot of us do. I would try to make his snacks healthy. Put schedule up maybe of times when it is ok to ask for a snack and make them healthy choices of things he likes. Some kids do better with little meals here and there rather than two-three big meals. But a suggestion would be get him in to see a nutrisonist that specailizes with kids with autism. good luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom