• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help For My Sensitive Hearing! Do Noise-Reducing Autism Earmuffs REALLY Exist, or Are They Just A Ri

Should I Just Give Up or Keep Searching?

• Keep Searching

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Give Up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AuBurney Tuckerson

~GigglesTheAutisticHyena~
Will Peltor work for VERY sensitive hearing? I can't even go into Walmart without having a complete meltdown, and I need my headphones playing music to block out the loud engine while driving a 4-cylinder car.. I drive to college classes through the expressway every day, and even in class, I can't stand the loud, popping stapler, bumping of people dripping backpacks, popping binder rings, high-potched squeaky doors, slamming bathroom doors. At home, it's clanging dishes, roaring engines from outside, popping doors when they close, my high-pitch-voiced brother, screaming girls on TV (some show my mother watches), any whistles on TV or videos. While driving, it's the 4-cylinder engine and the high a pitched whistling of the road (especially on the expressway). Outside of home, I can't walk into Walmart because of the loud clacking and popping, screaming kids, squeaky equipment, slamming/bumping.

Every day is TORTURE! I'm a 19-years old female with VERY sensitive hearing to all of the above, and even though wearing earplugs at all times, the noise goes right through them. Idk if it's autism or SPD or both (I'm awaiting autism diagnosis), but all o know is that I will be suffering this for the rest of my life, and I asked my aunt to order these big, yellow Calif one earmuffs from AutismProducts.com, but they were a rip off. All they did was squeeze my head and didn't block any noise at all. They almost amplified it a bit.. So now I'm thinking that there is no help.

Do earmuffs for very sensitive hearing even exist, or ate they all just a fad and rip off for companies to make a quick buck? Is there really no help for me? Am I just cursed? All these questions...

Have you tried ear defenders? People wear those for things like construction work, so they keep out a lot of noise and should help. Ear plugs are very hit or miss in quality.

I don’t know about those earmuffs, but I wear noise cancelling headphones and am very happy with those. They cancel out a lot of noise when switched on. When I want to block out more of the office noise I either play music or a soothing background sound (like ocean sounds)

You can use Noise Cancelling headphones and listen to music, or just use disposable ear plugs

Perhaps it should be emphasized that noise-cancelling headphones can be outrageously expensive compared to simple ear protectors.

Like $15 for ear protectors, as opposed to say $349 top-of-the-line noise cancelling headphones.

Perhaps it should be emphasized that noise-cancelling headphones can be outrageously expensive compared to simple ear protectors.

Like $15 for ear protectors, as opposed to say $349 top-of-the-line noise cancelling headphones.
I just need anything that'll reduce the noise.

Just ask for ear defenders/hearing protection safety ear muffs with noise reduction ratings of at least 34db. Wherever guns are sold you should be able to find them.
Ok. The califone ones I got were supposed to be 37dB reduction, but the package said 27dB, and they didn't reduce anything at all. I'm just looking for ones that I can trust to order without them being a waste of money and hope like the ones I have.

Ok. The califone ones I got were supposed to be 37dB reduction, but the package said 27dB, and they didn't reduce anything at all. I'm just looking for ones that I can trust to order without them being a waste of money and hope like the ones I have.

Better than publicly wearing expensive noise-cancelling headphones. Being in the wrong place and time, one is liable to be mugged over possessing such things in public. With ear protectors...no one will care.

But beyond that long-term comfort should be important too, apart from noise reduction. Just understand that noise-cancellation is a different issue and technology you won't encounter with mere ear-protectors.

Real noise-cancelling headphones actually use sophisticated electronics creating ambient sound to cancel out external sounds. A very different process than merely muffling them. The most expensive ones work quite well, but they are also not all that sturdy for what you pay. And you have to recharge their battery regularly.

Ones like the Bose Quiet Comfort line really work. I've tried them. But yeah...around $325 to $350. :eek:

Last edited:
I like MACS. They are cheap and have some that press in and not roll in. I wear them ALL THE TIME. I have a pair stuffed in my sock in case. I have a pair in my pocket now, though I am in a quiet room. You never know when the roof will start to shake. Where I used to live, that was a true possibility. Or people might start to yell when they talk.......

I have about three different kinds. Roll in foam for expected light assaults. The purple roll in kind that you shove so far in , you can annoy your trigeminal nerve (not kidding, but what is worse? Byonce screeching or a nerve that is temporarily inflamed?), and then the MACS for just everyday annoyance.

I tried thr over the head. No help. Noise canceling......$350 and then you HAVE to have it connected to another source of noise.

Silence is out. Dead. No one wants it anymore. If you do, you really have to pray to go deaf which is not the way it should be. I have actually prayed that at one point, so I am not intending any disrespect.

How about getting some silicon foam earplugs (dunno if there is anything better but quality matters too), and then really good noise cancelling headphones on top of the foam earplugs.

A major problem i had with noise supressing things is that there is still the noise of my own body, which i think is even amplified sometimes. My breathing, heartbeat and most movements are very audible and it stresses me out.

Do you have a problem with power supplies making sounds at various high frequencies, might be different because of different voltages but i sometimes hear them a room away?
I have a fridge and ticking clock at home that i can hear even behind 2 closed doors

I can hear the fridge sometimes. I can even hear when the air vent comes on! But I'm not sure any earplugs would work. I've been wearing some regular orange foam ones for years bought from Walmart, and I can easily hear right through them.

But you do notice a major difference even if you can hear practically everything (me)?

Earplugs don't prevent you from trying to wear the big hearing protection too

Sometimes a problem sometimes a positive with earplugs is that my directional hearing is very impaired, and most of my sound filtering relies on that

Better than publicly wearing expensive noise-cancelling headphones. Being in the wrong place and time, one is liable to be mugged over possessing such things in public. With ear protectors...no one will care.

But beyond that long-term comfort should be important too, apart from noise reduction. Just understand that noise-cancellation is a different issue and technology you won't encounter with mere ear-protectors.

Real noise-cancelling headphones actually use sophisticated electronics creating ambient sound to cancel out external sounds. A very different process than merely muffling them. The most expensive ones work quite well, but they are also not all that sturdy for what you pay. And you have to recharge their battery regularly.

Ones like the Bose Quiet Comfort line really work. I've tried them. But yeah...around $325 to $350. :eek:

I can attest that Bose puts out a good product. The Quiet Comfort can cancel out noise without being connected to anything. It can create silence instead of just covering it with other noise. But they are far from cheap.

I wonder how the earbuds do with noise reduction. They would be more ideal for driving.

I wonder how the earbuds do with noise reduction. They would be more ideal for driving.

Driving and using headphones or earbuds is a matter one should research in terms of their respective state vehicle codes. Some states allow both, others may allow only earbuds but not headphones. Know your laws.

Though in the case of earbuds, it would seem that many more states allow them while driving. This would make me rationalize that "intra-aural" devices like earbuds may inherently not be as effective as might "supra-aural" headphones with electronic noise-cancellation features.

It's tricky here. On the surface, both headphones and earbuds are not illegal to use while driving. However we have both state and local laws relative to "distracted driving". So if you are pulled over for such an infraction, let's just say that if you're wearing headphones or earbuds, it won't help your case having been pulled over for some other reason. Especially if you fail to pull over to make way for an emergency vehicle with flashing red lights and sirens.

Last edited:
Though you don't want to get caught by the police using much of anything to cover your ears while driving an automobile.

For a reason, I'm sure. Same reason I don't drive.
-------
As for the question. For some reason, mindfulness meditation has helped me tune out white noise, and bleach grey noise. I'm sure it can backfire.

If you listen to the same songs over and over they turn into white noise.

New Threads

Top Bottom