• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help, Everything Looks Like Dungeons & Dragons!! :P

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
As of recent, I've gotten REALLY attached to the classic game of Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition. What gets me so hooked on it is the way the game works and functions; a living, breathing, working world laid out before you, whose movements, events and inner workings are dictated with the rolling of dice, the pushing and pulling of crudely-painted figurines and miniatures, handling of paper; it's all so meticulous, so... functional! I love how the mechanics of the game work, and how the only limit to adding stuff to the game or creating things to go into a world YOU create yourself is your imagination.

That's when something really interesting occured to me; because of how the rules system is written for the game, I realized a long time ago that you can easily visualize things in real life as the mechanics of D&D, simply by comparing the way the core rules makes the game world work to the way real life works. Imaginary dice rolls in your head help make DC checks for that "gut" feeling you may have about something (although kinda counter-intuitive...), an imaginary grid laid out before you tells you how much distance in feet you are from the bathroom, and the last time you took a pill for a headache? There's your saving throws for Constitution, right there. See where I'm going with this?

This has caused sort of a small problem... as I've come to really enjoy my time with D&D, I think I'm getting a little *too* obsessed with it, because now I'm applying D&D logic to almost EVERYTHING I visualize in real life... I just need some reassurance that nobody thinks I'm officially gone coconuts and need extensive help :p.

This isn't really bad for me is it? I mean, I'm just putting a filter over real life using something that I understand and is most familiar to me, and it's helped me get through a lot of painfully slow moments in the past month. How harmful could that be?

It’s normal for humans I think and even moreso for us ASD peeps. But yes it is a sign perhaps to add in a few other activities. I experience something similar with my SI, and then that time, that “era” will take on a strong flavor.
Recently for example, I look at things from the perspective of: “what would it look like to paint it?” Well okay that has been there for my entire life.
Another example: if I get on a murder mystery book series, then it is easy for my mind to play with regular life in terms of that genre. I look at it as a form of play. It is not a big deal - & it’s relaxing, a sort of daydream.

Hi, sorry, my name is Mike. I haven’t done very many forum Activites as I don’t do social media. I still don’t see why i wouldn’t find balance in what I have before looking for more to add to the confusion. Sorry, I don’t know what SI is.

what would it look like to paint with balance and peace??

" you put the lime in the coconut and then you mix it all up..."

" you may be right, I may be crazy, but it just might be a lunatic you are looking for"

It all going to be fine. Really. No worries. Are you making new friends for dnd adventures?

It's just a lense. Like a filter for coping with the world. Totally fine. Just remember that your reality is slightly skewed, and other ppl dont see what is in your head.

Does this relaxing daydream cover you with warmth from a bright white lighthouse or is it a dark one setting a trap that leads you peacefully to a distorted nightmare without clarity, peace or the ability to find balance forever until you reach for the rope that pulls you back to reality with the correct lighthouse in sight.

Your reaching from listening to the dark lighthouse. I never thought you were crazy, never entered my mind?? You pulled the wrong rope from listening in the wrong direction.

What is a dnd adventure
upload_2021-7-1_16-53-5.png

Dungeons & Dragons - Wikipedia

Hey @Mike67 I was responding to the OP.

Peace
Nothing was meant without peace only help in mind. The miss understanding is stupidity on my part from not understanding how the forum works before posting. I had typed a question to the help center I think and it’s been a couple days without answer so I thought I would jump in. sorry. I took a test that resulted in 66% moderate to strong I think and I was asking for an opinion on this if you can help.

As of recent, I've gotten REALLY attached to the classic game of Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition. What gets me so hooked on it is the way the game works and functions; a living, breathing, working world laid out before you, whose movements, events and inner workings are dictated with the rolling of dice, the pushing and pulling of crudely-painted figurines and miniatures, handling of paper; it's all so meticulous, so... functional! I love how the mechanics of the game work, and how the only limit to adding stuff to the game or creating things to go into a world YOU create yourself is your imagination.

That's when something really interesting occured to me; because of how the rules system is written for the game, I realized a long time ago that you can easily visualize things in real life as the mechanics of D&D, simply by comparing the way the core rules makes the game world work to the way real life works. Imaginary dice rolls in your head help make DC checks for that "gut" feeling you may have about something (although kinda counter-intuitive...), an imaginary grid laid out before you tells you how much distance in feet you are from the bathroom, and the last time you took a pill for a headache? There's your saving throws for Constitution, right there. See where I'm going with this?

This has caused sort of a small problem... as I've come to really enjoy my time with D&D, I think I'm getting a little *too* obsessed with it, because now I'm applying D&D logic to almost EVERYTHING I visualize in real life... I just need some reassurance that nobody thinks I'm officially gone coconuts and need extensive help :p.

This isn't really bad for me is it? I mean, I'm just putting a filter over real life using something that I understand and is most familiar to me, and it's helped me get through a lot of painfully slow moments in the past month. How harmful could that be?
It depends on your mindset to how dangerous it could be ,I've been monitoring how much I watch the flash as its also violent

@Mike67

That goes to XenForo, the platform for this website, not to anyone on the staff of the forum.

New Threads

Top Bottom