• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

Annaa

Well hi, I haven’t been diagnosed with autism or anything and I would never want to selfdiagnose(?), but sadly I don’t really have anyway to get diagnosed or see a therapist/ psychologist, I don’t think I am on the spectrum but at the same time I do, this is the weirdest text I have ever written.
I hope it’s okay with everyone if I still join this chat even tough I am not diagnosed

Warm welcome Anaa

Of course, its okey to come in here even if you haven't been officially diagnosed so don't worry about that dear. We have many self-diagnosed members same as those like you who suspect or indeed officially diagnosed, and everyone is welcome in here.

Hello :)
I use the term "self identify" . Does that help?
Welcome. This is the perfect place to help you figure yourself out.

welcome to af.png

Yes, definitely ok. I don't know the actual figures, but would guess a good 25-30% of our members are not formally diagnosed, maybe even more.

Welcome. If nothing else this forum can help you with introspection to understand yourself better. It has been a source of understanding for me. But while we may all be on different journeys, the path to a better you is important.

I never knew that I was autistic until meeting an autistic nephew of a friend and had a good discussion with him. I saw a little of myself at that age, read more about Autism, and was diagnosed at 60.

I’m not officially diagnosed, either. I get in bouts of self-doubt and question my own “self diagnosis,” but I think that happens to a lot of us.

Welcome, @Annaa! :) I think you’ll like it here!

Hi and welcome. If it fits for you, then it's good that you are here to discuss it. This is the right place. The end of the story isn't getting a diagnosis anyway, it's finding strategies for managing some of the effects of it. Hopefully you can discuss that here.

:strawberry::greenapple::grapes::icecreamcone::tropicaldrink::watermelon::wineglass::pineapple:

Welcome @Annaa.

This forum has helped me immensely. I spent some 52 years of my life wondering why I was always on the periphery, having a string of acquaintances, but not friends. Why is it that I never could understand people, their emotions, politics? Why was it that I was being passed over for promotions because of how I "deal with people",...despite being constantly called the "smartest" and the "best"? I never understood that even though I had some autistic symptoms,...I didn't act like an autistic,...or so I thought,...I wasn't like those poor kids rocking in the corner trying to shut out the world,...I didn't act like Dustin Hoffman's "Rainman" character. In retrospect,...I knew next to nothing about autism,...until I was diagnosed. Then, it has been two years of self-discovery,...and yes,...according to my test scores,...I am strongly autistic, of the ASD-1/Asperger's variant.

The point being, sometimes you think you know yourself,...but also having a lifetime of questions,...and then at some point, you seek some professional help and a whole new perspective opens up to you. I don't like or dislike being autistic,...there are pros and cons,...I am just different than my neurotypical peers. I am OK with it, they are OK with it. Now, I have perspective and context that I didn't have before. I am much more self-aware,...it's been therapeutic in a way. With the help of others here on the forums, I learn new things almost every day.

This is a really cool bunch of people and I hope you stick around and participate.

New Threads

Top Bottom