• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

Polina

Hi,
I am 40+ years old and live in Germany, so sorry for my English but I will try my best. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago.
I don't know what to write. I already started to tell my story here but deleted it again as it was much too long. I will share my experiences in the suitable sub forums.

Have a nice day.

Welcome @Polina! Your English is just fine! I hope you find the support you are looking for here. There are a lot of nice people and interesting topics and threads.

welcome to af.png

Welcome @Polina. There are many people over 40, and from a wide variety of countries, here on the forums. Looking forward to what you have to say.:)

Thanks a lot :)

I found this forum when I was searching the web about disclosing autism at work. In the past I often was fired after some weeks or months. My last job I had for 7 years and that was an exception. Before that I had about 15 jobs and was usually fired after some weeks or at maximum 1.5 years. I never really understood why as I always did a good job but there were often problems with colleagues and in the end they decided that I do not fit in.
In the past 7 years when it really went fine and I thougt everything changed and that I perhaps have improved my communications skills but it showed that I was wrong. It was just luck to have colleagues that accepted me as I was. Due to Covid the office was closed and we all lost our jobs.
Now I have a new job since June and I recognized that I did not improve at all. Same problems as before. They are satisfied with my work but not with everything else. This time I told my team leader that I have a disability and that it is for me like having two jobs: one normal job and one social job and that it is not always that easy. I still do not dare to disclose autism but I am afraid to lose the job again. In the past I already had a burnout and had a recovery treatment for 5 months and I do not want to get into the same situation by hiding my autism and coping all the day.
Perhaps it is better to post this text into the sub forums? If so I can do that, let me now.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot :)

I found this forum when I was searching the web about disclosing autism at work. In the past I often was fired after some weeks or months. My last job I had for 7 years and that was an exception. Before that I had about 15 jobs and was usually fired after some weeks or at maximum 1.5 years. I never really understood why as I always did a good job but there were often problems with colleagues and in the end they decided that I do not fit in.
In the past 7 years when it really went fine and I thougt everything changed and that I perhaps have improved my communications skills but it showed that I was wrong. It was just luck to have colleagues that accepted me as I was. Due to Covid the office was closed and we all lost our jobs.
Now I have a new job since June and I recognized that I did not improve at all. Same problems as before. They are satisfied with my work but not with everything else. This time I told my team leader that I have a disability and that it is for me like having two jobs: one normal job and one social job and that it is not always that easy. I still do not dare to disclose autism but I am afraid to lose the job again. In the past I already had a burnout and had a recovery treatment for 5 months and I do not want to get into the same situation by hiding my autism and coping all the day.
Perhaps it is better to post this text into the sub forums? If so I can do that, let me now.
Maybe we need someting here where we can share strategies for succeeding at work.
I was fortunate that my career was technical/scientific in pharma manufacturing, where I could play to my strengths. Though I am deficient in my social functioning, in working with relationships I am more NT. I think that helped me a lot, by looking at the interactions with people at work as relationships rather than social interactions I was poor at. The only job I was fired from, the manager was one who micro-managed everything and she described me as a horse with a hard mouth that does not easily take commands.

The one thing I learned, especially working in teams, was to learn all parts of a project and see where I could take the lead in an element in moving things forward to make that project a success. Sure, I had to deal with other disciplines, but by knowing my area cold, people would trust my input. Eventually I would rack up successes that gave me influence but I would be low key about that and got a lot of latitude. Sometimes other disciplines would run with some of my suggestions and I would be clear to give them credit.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome lots of really friendly folks here, dont be shy to bring up things that are on your mind! Jobs issues / social interaction difficulties are a biggie for many of us here.....

See you around the threads

New Threads

Top Bottom