• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello!

PlasmaticGames

Game Developer
Hello!

My name is Joshua. I'm 21 and have been officially diagnosed with HFA at the age of 17 I believe through a psychiatrist with 2 consulting psychiatrists verifying I'm Autistic.

I spent much of my youth getting a 'no you're not autistic' by so many professionals. My family and I knew I was Autistic and finally in 2017 I believe, I got the diagnosis.

I have been in Oranga Tamariki care since I was 12 to 19 I think. Oranga Tamariki is New Zealand's Child Protection Services. I have been to many homes all over the country, from foster homes, care and protection facilities, mental hospitals, youth prison, and unfortunately even prison itself.

I now advocate part-time for Autistics, those with Disabilities and Mental Health as well. I did a national petition in 2018 calling for all supermarkets to have a sensory hour for people with sensory needs and I'm pleased to say one brand of a supermarket has implemented that in some of their stores throughout New Zealand.

I've spoken at a District Health Board conference regarding personal experiences with Autism as well as going to an Autism NZ event to meet with the Minister for Disability Services.

I've met many government officials, media, etc. My story is long and I understand everything about Autism and Mental Health. I've been through the worst of Mental Health which is quite sad, however, I want to at least help people avoid what I've been through.

Thanks for reading and it's good to be here!

Welcome. It's so good to read your prospective and outlook, and respect your story. There are many friendly posters here. Thanks for joining,☺

Too late ,I was diagnosed at almost 30 years older than you, I've had the experience of mental health services ,I'm in n.e.england so there wasn't a huge amount at the time it's still just teaching children who were diagnosed 20 years before me and later .

Welcome here.

Your post is very open and honest.
This is a good place to find others who will understand and want to see you post more
on your experiences. Glad you joined.

New Threads

Top Bottom