• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

ABA Dude

Hello,

I'm going to hold back on a name for now, because I'm unfortunately not there yet, but I will about myself! Also, I'm in my mid thirties.

Where to begin... I guess the start?

As a child I had a doctor diagnose me with delayed social skills and ADHD. This was enough to get me an IEP and special accommodation in school.

I used to be quite awful on conversation, but somewhere in my late teens I did learned how to start and maintain conversations. I still struggle with ending them.

In my mid twenties, I was diagnosed with depression by my doctor, got put on medication, and it didn't really help. Also, I was a Pharmacy Technician at the time.

I decided to get my BA in Psychology, and during the time I did this I started working in the field of ABA with children who have ASD. I'm now currently working on my masters to get my BCBA.

I got married to my girlfriend of 7 years, and that was 3 years ago. Still married, happily!

I'm fairly certain that I would get an ASD diagnosis, but I also know there aren't many people who are specialized with adults. Also, not sure how accepted it would be for someone who has ASD to would with children who have ASD, and a diagnosis kind of scares me since I plan to do this for the rest of my life. I understand HIPAA, but also know the information may find it's way out

I feel that I hide it quite well, though I have moments I slip up on.

If you actually read through this, thank you. I don't really expect anyone to, but just wanted to put some of my thoughts down.

-ABA Dude

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

I'm sorry to say you'll likely get quite a bit of Scorn here; many people here have gone through ABA Therapy and it's been nothing but traumatizing for them.

I highly, HIGHLY suggest picking another Profession.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

I'm sorry to say you'll likely get quite a bit of Scorn here; many people here have gone through ABA Therapy and it's been nothing but traumatizing for them.

I highly, HIGHLY suggest picking another Profession.

Hello,

Thank you for your response!

Like any profession, there are people that are good at it and bad. On top of that, ABA is quite different from the behavior modification days where punishment was a driving force, and I can see where alum of such programs may have had bad experiences.

I have been with many clients who are excited to see me when I walk into the door and many clients have gained skills that will help them through the years. I will not speak specifically about the cases you have seen or heard of and do not have the aim of invalidating your information, this is just my experience.

But I digress, i'm not here to talk about that specific part of my life, just noted as part of my hello and why I chose not to disclose my ID.

Thank you!

-ABA Dude

Hi ABA Dude

welcome to af.png

Hi - welcome to the site. It will be great to read about your insights, happy holidays also.

Hello & welcome, @ABA Dude .
I'm fairly certain that I would get an ASD diagnosis, but I also know there aren't many people who are specialized with adults.
See Autlanders, Thriving Outside of the Box: Finding Support Resources in the USA...
Also, not sure how accepted it would be for someone who has ASD to would with children who have ASD, and a diagnosis kind of scares me since I plan to do this for the rest of my life.
If you are ASD1, it may give you an advantage in that field.

Here is a somewhat different perspective on ASD,
Autlanders, Thriving Outside of the Box: Autism Subtypes...

Welcome! I’m a medical doctor with Aspergers. I haven’t disclosed my diagnosis at my work, because I feel like my diagnosis actually gives me an advantage when working with patients on the spectrum and patients with mental health issues. I have a lot of personal experience in both fields and that makes it a lot easier for me to relate to my patients.

Hello,

I'm going to hold back on a name for now, because I'm unfortunately not there yet, but I will about myself! Also, I'm in my mid thirties.

Where to begin... I guess the start?

As a child I had a doctor diagnose me with delayed social skills and ADHD. This was enough to get me an IEP and special accommodation in school.

I used to be quite awful on conversation, but somewhere in my late teens I did learned how to start and maintain conversations. I still struggle with ending them.

In my mid twenties, I was diagnosed with depression by my doctor, got put on medication, and it didn't really help. Also, I was a Pharmacy Technician at the time.

I decided to get my BA in Psychology, and during the time I did this I started working in the field of ABA with children who have ASD. I'm now currently working on my masters to get my BCBA.

I got married to my girlfriend of 7 years, and that was 3 years ago. Still married, happily!

I'm fairly certain that I would get an ASD diagnosis, but I also know there aren't many people who are specialized with adults. Also, not sure how accepted it would be for someone who has ASD to would with children who have ASD, and a diagnosis kind of scares me since I plan to do this for the rest of my life. I understand HIPAA, but also know the information may find it's way out

I feel that I hide it quite well, though I have moments I slip up on.

If you actually read through this, thank you. I don't really expect anyone to, but just wanted to put some of my thoughts down.

-ABA Dude
Hello ABA Dude! I am not sure about getting YOUR diagnosis but I do think that people who have ASD would understand better those who have it. Really understand what they go through and what may have helped yourself vs/ textbook. Just my thought....

Welcome! I’m a medical doctor with Aspergers. I haven’t disclosed my diagnosis at my work, because I feel like my diagnosis actually gives me an advantage when working with patients on the spectrum and patients with mental health issues. I have a lot of personal experience in both fields and that makes it a lot easier for me to relate to my patients.

Hello Bolletje,

I do feel like I relate to my clients more than others as well! I see a lot of things I went though as a kid in them.

-ABA Dude

Hello ABA Dude! I am not sure about getting YOUR diagnosis but I do think that people who have ASD would understand better those who have it. Really understand what they go through and what may have helped yourself vs/ textbook. Just my thought....

Hello VAW,

Yep, I do feel that sense if understanding!

Thank you,
-ABA Dude

New Threads

Top Bottom