• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello!

Seth R

Hi

This is my first time on a forum and so I'm not sure how all of this is supposed to work. I was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome just a few weeks ago and I've been trying to come to terms with it ever since. The big question for me was do I really have this? There are a lot of things in the spectrum of Asperger that I know I have. Being repetitive, having big troubles in social situations, and stimming, a lot of stimming. I mask a lot of my symptoms when I’m around others, so I’m quiet and don’t talk. When I’m not around anyone I have times when I overload and have a meltdown, my mom has seen these meltdowns, so she knows what I’m talking about. There are other things that I don’t have issues with like eye contact and being able to sympathize with others. This is made it hard for me to know for sure if I actually have this or if I’m just this odd socially awkward 25-year-old. I’ve always said the world is to raw for me, the sensory stimulus of the outside world is hard to deal with for me. I only like to be touched when I’m doing the touching, and loud noises are too much for me sometimes. I have times when I shutdown and can’t handle anything, everything hurts in those times. I know I’m high functioning but I’m not really living a good life. I still live at home, don’t have a job, and I refuse to learn to drive. That being said I have written five full length books and I have created a whole other world for me to live in because this one is so hard and raw for me.

I’m also gay, have gender dysphoria, and I have emetophobia (google it if you don’t know what that is). There are a lot of things that makes me different than others around me and learning that I have aspersers does make sense to me. But I’d like to know what you guys think.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

Hello, Seth!

Don't feel alone in this. Although I, too, am high-functioning, I don't feel like it. I can't even keep a part-time job, due to my autistic burnout! On the other hand, maybe you could make it as a freelance writer.

What followed the diagnosis? Are you seeing a therapist or psychiatrist?
I've been seeing a therapist for two years. She was the one who gave me a book about aspergers, my mom started to read it and she noticed traits that I have things that fit with what the book was saying. We then talked about it with my psychiatrist and he was the one who gave me the diagnosis.

Last edited:
Hi Seth

welcome to af.png

Hi Seth. Welcome to the forums. From what you have described it does sound like you are on the spectrum. The thing is that everyone is different and not all on the spectrum have all the so-called "common traits".

Hi Seth! You sound enough like us to belong here. Welcome!
Thanks. I'm fixating day and night on if I have ASD or if I'm just an NT that has never fit in. This is all coming after I was given a diagnosis by a mental health doctor and every test I've taken has said that I'm on the spectrum. There is a big part of me that wants to just know that I have ASD because then it would make sense. But there is this gray area that always makes me question and wonder.

New Threads

Top Bottom