• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

David Marks

I just joined, hopefully it will be place I can discuss Aspergers related experiences with.

I am 41, and was officially diagnosed last year. The diagnosis process was a bit of a rigmarole, as the UK (I am English) system does not really recognise ASD in adults and is very poorly set up to diagnose them.

I am a crop scientist, and run a company that develops chemistry to make agricultural inputs (fertilisers) work more efficiently (so they don't pollute and produce more food per kg applied), and also chemistry that helps plants cope with stress (yes plants get stressed too, mostly by the climate). I am somewhat obsessed with this and tend to go on about it a lot, so probably I should try not to on here.

I have been fairly successful, in that I have lots of patents etc. I also have experienced a lot of problems and prejudice based on my Aspie traits. I effectively got forced out of the company I founded after it floated on the stock market due to this. Currently I am experiencing a lot of problems having had some of my technology stolen and my income from it cut off. Hence am somewhat stressed at the moment.

I have a lovely partner who seems not to mind my Aspie traits. I also have a problematic ex wife, who did mind them, and can be rather abusive about autistic people. I had a lot of problems going through court to keep access to my children, I don't think being Aspie helped at all. My experience in court representing myself was bad, but when a barrister made the exact same arguments for me it worked better.

I get lost a lot. I forget to eat. I forget to post things and end up with a lot of fines for being late with paperwork. I have bags of unopened mail. I can never find anything. I find social contact very tiring. I suffer a lot of anxiety making phone calls.

Hi David, and welcome to the forum. If you want to discuss Asperger's-related issues, then you've come to the right place :) I find it hard to organise myself too, and don't like speaking on the phone.

Hi, David, welcome to AC! We have quite a few scientists "on board." I'm not one of them, although I did major in geology (longer ago than I'd care to mention).

I'm not afraid of the phone, but I'm afraid of mail.

One thing I've found after being among other aspies is that our stories resonate a lot. There's usually someone around who can relate.

Looking forward to seeing some more of your posts.

cheers,
A4H

Welcome, I believe this is the perfect forum to unload any special interest you have. You'll almost always find one other person on here that will find it interesting as well.

Welcome aboard David :)
This is an awesome and friendly community. I hope you enjoy being apart of it.
Best wishes.

image.jpg

Hi.
Welcome David Marks.
:)

I have a huge drawer of unopened mail, much like you. But I just run a small household, not a company.

Hello, David. Later on diagnosis here, too. (46) Your field sounds fascinating. Try to be gentle with yourself and proud of all you have done. I am proud for you and don't even know you. I am working on the gentle part myself. Welcome.

Welcome to this site.

I get lost a lot.

So do I. I once wound up in Syria by mistake having driven across the border from Lebanon. I wasn't really paying attention and was following the vehicle in front of me which was apparently part of a UN convoy that the Syrian border guards just waved across the border ... and so I followed the convoy into Syria. Once I realized my mistake, I turned around and got stopped at the border without a passport or igama (work permit) and there was a great deal of shouting in Arabic accompanying by some menacing gestures with Ak-47's. When the guards accused me of being a CIA spy, I realized that they were angling for baksheesh, a bribe. The ranking NCO demanded a hundred dollars but I haggled him down to $20 because haggling is part of the tradition.

Since returning stateside, I have gotten a GPS system. The GPS sits on a bean bag cushion top of my dashboard. Not only does a map show me where I'm going but there's a speed indicator that turns red if I'm over the speed limit. A computerized voice also tells me when turns are coming up.

I forget to eat.

If you have a cell phone, program it for whatever meals you're missing. Don't forget to include tea time! (Smile)

I forget to post things and end up with a lot of fines for being late with paperwork. I have bags of unopened mail. I can never find anything. I find social contact very tiring. I suffer a lot of anxiety making phone calls.

If you run a company, presumably you have employees? Why not hire an executive assistant?

New Threads

Top Bottom