• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello world

rubicks52

Hi everyone, I've never used a forum before so I hope I'm doing this right. I think I have ASD, but when I brought the idea up with my mom (I've read that the parent perspective is useful in identifying childhood behaviors), she was very unsupportive of the idea and the subject was dropped for good. I considered getting a diagnosis on my own, but right now it's too cost prohibitive. Anyway, I'm tired of feeling left out all the time (I'm in college and making friends is not my forte), and I thought this forum might be a good place to feel less alone, if that makes sense.

A fun fact about me is that I'm the goalie for my school's water polo team.

Hello World is the title of the recent debut album of the virtual youtuber Kizuna AI.
XNAC-2.jpg

I would expect the same reaction from my mother (or any other family member), which is why I wouldn't discuss the subject with them. Unfortunately, autism awareness is not a popular thing yet. People mostly have a very unrealistic view of autism, based on outdated fiction and outdated attitudes.

It is best, IMHO, to only discuss with aware people, since the negative comments from the ignorant can be a real buzz kill. You can ask people if they know anything about autism that isn't outdated or just wrong; but many may not be aware of their own ignorance, or perhaps have a very narrow view based on someone's child they met once and who is now the model of what all autism looks like to them.

Parents, in particular, seem to be unwilling to accept any explanation of past events that doesn't comply with their pre-existing beliefs, that you're just lazy and difficult, and "not trying hard enough". :rolleyes:
It is far from easy to change a belief once it exists in someone's mind. This is no reflection on the validity of your own opinion. You know you better than anyone else does. :)

I'm perfectly happy to accept that if you read up on what real life autists say about their experience, and it really resonates with your own experience, then you can know yourself to be an autist. :)

Hi, welcome! It's very tough when parents won't support you in trying to understand yourself, and it's a sadly common story amongst autistic people. Self-diagnosing is perfectly valid, so don't feel too worried even if you can't get anything done officially. If autism makes sense to how you experience yourself and the world, and the autistic community can provide you with support and comfort, then that is plenty enough :)

Welcome! I was diagnosed in my mid 30s about a year ago. I'm sorry your mom wasn't supportive. Don't let that stop you, though, from searching to understand yourself better.

I agree with shysnail that it is okay to self-diagnose. If seeking a professional diagnosis is not something possible for you right now, you can get a pretty good idea from reading books like Tony Attwood's Complete Guide to Aspergers and also just from reading forums like this one. However, keep in mind there's huge diversity among people on the spectrum, so many experiences may not resonate with you. There's quite a number of tests online "e.g. autism quotient" that give you a pretty good indication whether you're in the right ballpark with ASD. Over time you may start to identify yourself with the descriptors of "autism spectrum" or you may feel otherwise.

I haven't had much finding friends, especially as an adult. But many have luck by joining groups that focus on a particular hobby/interest of yours.

Welcome Rubicks! As someone else told me not too long ago, (I am new as well)..

You are not alone anymore! You have finally found a place where people do understand you and can relate to you!

It is so very relieving to the soul!!! Yay for you! <3

Thanks for all your thoughtful responses. I've had this idea for a few years and have done a lot of serious research this past year. As part of that, I read Tony Attwood's book, but I particularly liked reading blogs of people's experiences and any books like that I could find. We have a family friend who's on the spectrum and when I talked to my mom about getting diagnosed she was basically like "you're not exactly like him, therefore you can't be autistic". But reading your responses made me feel the exact opposite of when I talked to her, so thank you.

Hi & Welcome,
Water Polo sounds pretty difficult. But a good thing. I found sports & physical activities a great kind of therapy & social skill builder.

Hi & Welcome,
Water Polo sounds pretty difficult. But a good thing. I found sports & physical activities a great kind of therapy & social skill builder.
Yes, I've been doing team sports ever since I was little and it's definitely been helpful.

Welcome rubicks52. :)
As soon as I had a grief counselor suggest Asperger's, I started doing on-line tests while waiting
to get the real diagnosis. There are a lot of tests you can take yourself and I found them to be
like the psychologist's.
I found so many others I relate to here on the forum too.
You are welcome here. :hatchedchick:

New Threads

Top Bottom