• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello there...

iThink

Been lurking (on the forum) and learning (about myself and much more) for a little while now.

I was 'officially' diagnosed with ADD and Bipolar w/ Psychosis (been through a couple periods of pretty severe delusions and isolation, always seemed to 'bounce back' after a little bit of re/de-fragging? usually involving sobriety, better sleep and exercising, and different environmental stimuli [which usually included different people/places/things]) in my late teens.

After reading further into the 'eccentric' behavior of some of my hero's (and not-so hero's), I began to see striking similarities... This naturally led to even more research, which inevitably led me to a deeper dive into ASD.

The stars seemed to align. Developmental delays, not looking nor being concerned with other people during my early years (0-3ish, still don't see much benefit in 'fitting in'), as well as constant ear infections, late talker, speech impediment due to motor skill dysfunction; was always more a pattern-mind (would line my toy soldiers up and give various 'hit-points' and 'attack-points' [thank you video games for the idea!] to determine the outcome, rather than making machine-gun noises and the like); social struggle and ineptitude during my earlier years, and various degrees of (ongoing) social confusion that inevitably lead to bouts of paranoia as I am unable to discern between people's motives, cumulating into what was effectively a brash young man in hopes of gaining and maintaining social status (4-current); seemingly hyper focus on certain subjects throughout my life (always); struggle with emotional regulation (always); matter-of-fact, logical mentality and attitude (always); inability to plan/goal at a younger age (up until my mid-late 20's); struggle with change (always); friendships, always fiercely deep, myself possessing a deep sense of loyalty and basically a family-like attachment towards them, always started and stopped with a small handful of individuals (2-4 tops)... the list goes on.

That is not to say that who/what I am is all bad (I do not mean this in any offensive manner, I am simply explaining my past via personal perspective). I read at a very young age (4ish), as well as reading multiple grades above my reading level throughout elementary school. I memorized my time's tables to the point of discouraging opponents during our weekly chalk-board division/multiplication competitions in 4th grade (I'm sorry, I didn't know I was hurting anyone's feelings until it hit me like a rock recently. I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad!) I've always tested well, in just about anything. I've done very well in fantasy football for the past few years (first year off in many in hopes of turning that focus towards stocks/understanding the business world, coupled with parenthood and starting school again, I don't have the time nor energy needed for proper devotion to the hobby) despite not watching more than a few qtr's of play per year, for the past 3 years, every year (am I clarifying too much? I'm a little self-conscious here...).

I am still debating seeking a formal diagnosis. I am yet to see what possible benefits this could provide, seeing as the whole current state of assistance provided to adults is... well, lacking.

I am here, well, because I find myself struggling in life again. Work is tough. I have found myself being the odd-man (not the first time). This is not to say that perhaps I do not deserve some of this (I have made many mistakes at my work, I have short periods of being a little too open and honest about my past, and effectively embellishing things during conversation... I do not know why I do this. I know that many [if not all] people remember things differently than reality, as well as recently learning that our brains naturally overweight the negative than the positive [thanks Evolution! and Kahneman for pointing this out to me]. This is something I am attempting to reconcile. How do people hold normal conversations with others at a consistent rate during social interactions with standard 'How was your weekend', talk?).

Anyways. Hope all is well with anyone reading. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited:
upload_2018-12-15_9-3-52.png

Hi iThink and welcome to the forum

I think you'll find plenty of people you can relate to here :)
A lot of us, myself included, have trouble working with small talk, and it's popped up in threads all over the forum. As for diagnosis - it's a personal choice but it is the only way to eliminate doubts. We're very accepting here, but some people and organisations like employers, doctors and benefits agencies, won't acknowledge AS without a formal diagnosis.

I'm a little self-conscious here...

Greetings iThink and welcome to the forum. There is absolutely no need to be self-conscious on this forum. As it has already been stated, you will find plenty of people here to relate with and everyone are more than happy to help and give advice. Remember, unlike the world of "medical professionals" you more than likely will find someone on this forum that has the "experience " of whatever you may run into.

Pros and Cons to being dxed. Pros--- takes the onus off other diagnoses. Support, etc

Cons-- we don't know where the term is going. It may seem benign now, but the research they are doing kind of scares me.

Welcome! Being the odd man out is the story of my life. I have also yet to find a job that didn’t eventually result in me not being able to take it anymore and quitting.

You are absolutely correct about the lack of support for adults on the spectrum. Best of luck as you navigate your current struggles. You can always reach out here if you need advice or just a listening ear.

Pros and Cons to being dxed. Pros--- takes the onus off other diagnoses. Support, etc

Cons-- we don't know where the term is going. It may seem benign now, but the research they are doing kind of scares me.

I must ask, what new research scares you?

Hi iThink and welcome to the forum

I think you'll find plenty of people you can relate to here :)
A lot of us, myself included, have trouble working with small talk, and it's popped up in threads all over the forum. As for diagnosis - it's a personal choice but it is the only way to eliminate doubts. We're very accepting here, but some people and organisations like employers, doctors and benefits agencies, won't acknowledge AS without a formal diagnosis.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Greetings iThink and welcome to the forum. There is absolutely no need to be self-conscious on this forum. As it has already been stated, you will find plenty of people here to relate with and everyone are more than happy to help and give advice. Remember, unlike the world of "medical professionals" you more than likely will find someone on this forum that has the "experience " of whatever you may run into.

My lurking has already made me feel like this may be a home away from home.

BTW I really like the quote in your sig? (not sure if sig is the correct name for that portion of the post) ...I am a potential infinite point... Where is this from? Did you write this?

New Threads

Top Bottom