• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello...Seeking Advice or Input for Long-Term On-Off Aspie/NT Relationship

Shae

Good Morning:
My name is Shae, and I am seeking advice and support regarding the inconsistent and unpredictable relationship I've had with my (undiagnosed) Aspie ex-boyfriend for 24 years.

We met in college (we attended neighboring schools, not the same one) during the summer of 1996, and it was a beautiful, albeit unconventional and short-lived courtship. From a logical standpoint, it seemed he was interested (he drove over an hour to pick me up for our dates) and he was always on time, cordial and chivalrous. We were very young (I was 18, and he was 19), so we had no prior dating experience, and I thought his awkwardness in conversation, not holding my hand and making little eye contact was due to nervousness and inexperience. However, it heightened my insecurity about my own self-image and I began to question whether he really thought I was attractive and if it would last past summer.

My birthday came, and I invited him to group gathering to see how he'd interact with me when we were around other people (our previous dates had been park walks and long drives, where we were alone). This ended up being a very bad idea. During introductions, he complimented the hairstyle of a friend of mine, and I thought he was trying to flirt with her in front of me. I went ballistic (I am a recently self-diagnosed neurotic) and stormed off, leaving him looking bewildered. I stonewalled him for a week or two, then he finally called and asked if we could meet up. I agreed, but I was still seething, angry and offended by what I perceived as an egregious wrong.

When we met up, he just stared at me, shaking his head in confusion, but he never verbally asked me what was wrong or tried to comfort me, which upset me even more--I felt he didn't care enough. Finally, he concluded that since it seemed we were breaking up, we should kiss goodbye, which I thought was nutty and refused. We parted ways, and I assumed that would be the last time I saw him.
Obviously not, right?

In the fall of 1997, I randomly encountered him at one of the parks we used to frequent. I was with a friend and noticed him staring in my direction through sunglasses, so I bounced over to him excitedly, glad to see him. I wasn't really thinking about what had happened before. He seemed shocked that I'd joined a sorority (I was wearing an indicator) and said he liked my hair (same hairstyle my friend had the summer before--go figure, it really was just about hair), but after that it got awkward again, and we went our separate ways, with me thinking that would be the last time I saw him.

Not exactly.

After a really painful two-year relationship ended for me in the Spring of '99, I had matured and realized how much I missed him and how well he'd treated me and respected me, so I reached back out to him and he agreed to meet up and catch up with me, which gave me hope. Well, he hardly looked me in the eye, and when I casually asked him how he'd been, he said he'd met a woman and was engaged and moving to New York to marry her after graduation. I was floored and devastated, but I acted like it didn't bother me much, trying to be tough. I said I still wanted to keep in touch and be friends, but when I called him again a few days later, his sister answered the phone and told him it was me, and I heard him say he wasn't available to come to the phone. I cried for three days straight, non-stop, for what I had stupidly lost, and thought he was out of my life forever.

Until 2010, that is.

He friend-requested me on Facebook, but he initially said nothing with the request, so I thought it was no big deal. When I congratulated him upon finding out he'd become a pastor (I posted on his wall), he dm'd me saying that it meant a lot coming from me. I didn't continue the conversation, since I was in an abusive relationship at the time and trying to come out of it.

After my annulment, I invited him to be on a radio show I hosted, and he agreed, but then cancelled due to a funeral obligation. I never rescheduled with him, thinking it was best to just leave it alone. In 2012, he got married and gushed about how happy he was with his new wife on Facebook for about 10 months, then it was like she dropped off the face of the earth--never mentioned again. (Years later, I found out through research that he initiated the divorce after one year of marriage, and it went back and forth between reconciliation and reset for two additional years until it was finally disposed).

In 2015, I got engaged to another guy whom I really believed was "the one," and I finally decided it was time for closure with my long-lost ex-, so I told him why I'd gotten upset on my birthday after almost twenty years--this was by email. He emailed back that it cleared up the confusion he had about our past relationship and that he'd like to talk more, if I was interested. I told him I just couldn't do it; too emotionally hard for me. I did say he might see me at his church one day.
And three years later in 2018, that's exactly what happened.

My marriage became divisive and domestically violent for a myriad of reasons, and I reached out to my ex- for prayer and support, NOTHING more, although I was pining for emotional comfort from the abuse, which he could not give. I showed up at the church unexpectedly, and he prayed with me but seemed nervous about my presence and ESPECIALLY uncomfortable when I gave him a gratitude hug and kisses him on the cheek. I thought it was because I was still married, but now I feel there were some sensory issues stemming from the way he acted back in '96. I ended up getting a job and moving where the church was for a year to separate from my then-spouse, but I didn't see my ex- outside of the church, as it would have been inappropriate.

Once my divorce was final, I told him I'd decided to return to my hometown, hoping he'd object, but he wished me well. All through the years, he's initiated very little in conversation without prompting by me. I've returned to visit a couple of times since I left, and on New Year's we hugged and talked a while--he seemed glad to see me.

Since COVID-19, we've discussed our relationship somewhat--past and present--and he's adamantly opposed to anything romantic--he says he has no desire or interest at all. I don't know if it's just toward me, or if he's aromantic altogether. I want us to start over and have another chance--even if it's just quasi-platonic like before, but it's delicate to broach and I don't want to get rejected. I'm sure this is one of the longest posts that's ever been written, and I apologize for the length, but I've never come out with all of this before, and it's actually cathartic to write about it. If I send him a message requesting a response, he'll usually give one (not always), but if not, he's silent. I thought he'd blocked me at one point, but he said he hadn't, so now I know he's just ignoring calls and texts sometimes. I also emailed him a book recommendation about a pastor who has Asperger's, but since they don't usually get hints, I doubt he'll make the connection.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Well from what you have said, I think you need to stop ruminating on this, and move on. If he was interested in what you want, you'd know by now. This imagining what might have been or could be is stopping you getting what you need, which is probably some good friends and or therapy and or a life.

Covid's also in the way of that just now! The world is full of interesting people you haven't met yet, no need to continually try someone with whom the spark wasn't there. Maybe ask yourself what you are avoiding as you daydream or wonder about this?

:candy::coffee::shortcake::cherries::tropicaldrink::sake::lollipop:

Welcome. An interesting and well written story. When you say he's "undiagnosed", do you mean you think he has Asperger's or he thinks he does? It's neither here nor there, but in the U.S., Asperger's isn't a diagnosis that's used any longer; a person would be diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder of a specific level.

Remove Asperger's from the equation completely when thinking about the on again/off again encounters you've had with him over the decades since he's undiagnosed and since your interaction with him could be the same with a shy socially awkward neurotypical man.

I do not intend to offend you for giving my objective opinion, but his behavior toward you through the years (ie keeping you at arm's length, seeming to be only partially emotionally involved or cautious, not being the initiator other than the FB friend request, etc) could be the behavior of a person, neurotypical or neurodiverse who was hurt by you freezing him out and giving him hard to interpret mixed messages.

Couple that with your unfortunate abusive and toxic relationships that it sounds like he was made aware of and perhaps he's been wary of wanting to enter into a relationship with you in fear that such a relationship would end up being unstable. He could also be wary based on his own failed experience with marriage; it's not known how toxic that relationship was for him.

These are all simply guesses, of course and as such could be completely wrong. Since he's a pastor, he's been schooled in interacting with people on a personal level. Have you tried communicating with him in writing (e.g. email or FB) and telling him exactly how you feel in that you'd like to be friends with him at the very least and ask him if he'd like the same?

I agree with Thinx that if he seems like he doesn't want to engage with you at this point you need to chalk it up to something in life that didn't work out for whatever reason and move on. Many of us have experiences in life with a person that we wished would have worked out but didn't.

You really need to move on. Your obsession with that man is terribly unhealthy. Aspies do get under peoples' skin because we are confusing but kind so your brain just HAS to know, HAS to make sense of it, etc....If you don't move on, you will be thinking about him daily for ten MORE years. Think of all the wonderful things you could do in ten years. Get a PhD, meet others, start a soup kitchen, join the Peace Corps......you REALLY have to get that man out of your head for your own good and for all the good you could be doing for the world. Let it go.

Just a clarification for you on your audience here. Most all of us are...

d5a819debad1d28636b65b606e7a668a.gif

;)

This is tough. Maybe have you thought about why you were in such an abusive marriage? Maybe you can ask for some one on one counseling with him. Then he can see a little bit who you are, and you can see who he is. You both have had a lot years go by, and neither one of you really know each other. It lets him meet you and gives a chance to talk and hear his input. It could be a starting point. It has to be that there is interest on both sides. You really shouldn't talk about him and whatever unless he cares to share that with you (undiagnosed aspergers). Maybe he has decided to be only pastor and nothing else in life. He has always talked to you throughout so l may disagree with other posters here at forum that you are obsessive.
Being on the spectrum myself, relationships can be confusing and difficult because we read or don't read signals well. Or we easily can feel rejected and retreat, leaving both parties confused. And some of us believe in going extremely slow because it feels safer.

Last edited:
^ She doesn't know if he's autistic. It's either her suspicion and not his, or his suspicion. She hasn't clarified which she means.

he's adamantly opposed to anything romantic--he says he has no desire or interest at all.

I want us to start over and have another chance--even if it's just quasi-platonic like before, but it's delicate to broach and I don't want to get rejected.

Hon, he’s already rejected you. Repeatedly. He’s made it abundantly clear that he doesn’t want a relationship with you.

If I send him a message requesting a response, he'll usually give one (not always), but if not, he's silent. I thought he'd blocked me at one point, but he said he hadn't, so now I know he's just ignoring calls and texts sometimes.

You continue to push yourself on him, calling and texting him and messaging him to the point of him possibly blocking you. Your infatuation with him comes off more as unhealthy obsession than romantic interest. Think of how he must see you - he probably feels sorry for you and, being a pastor, is too kind to straight up tell you to leave him alone.

You said you’re a self-diagnosed neurotic. You really need to find a good therapist and work on loving yourself and healing your past trauma. Stop obsessing over this man. He doesn’t want you. You sound like a good person who has a lot of love to give, but you’re going to have to deal with your neurosis first.

Good Evening, I appreciate all the advice. I am actually a School Counselor and Community Youth Therapist (ironic, I know, but it is a gift I believe God blessed me to use to help others, and I've been commended by parents and students for my efforts). I just have not done well at balancing my own life as an adult.
I believe he has ASD, I doubt he has any awareness of possibly having it, unless by some small chance he got my hint from the book recommendation I sent him written by the autistic pastor.
I'm going to take the easy way out on this one and agree with everyone. It's possible he doesn't want to be bothered with me at all anymore; it's possible he feels sorry for me because I am pursuing more frequent contact; it's possible he is not fully engaging with me due to communication issues. In short, any of these scenarios are possible.
I have only recently been assertively seeking more interaction with him since we reconnected in person in 2018. Prior to that time, I had not initiated any contact since college unless you count the long email I sent him in 2015 explaining why I stonewalled him in 1996. So, the "obsession" on my part--and I realize it may appear that way to some--is fairly recent, considering the span of time we've known each other. And I think that my obsequious behavior is because I have realized he is the only man who has ever respected my mind, body and heart and didn't try to deceive me or manipulate me for sexual pleasure or some other underlying motive. (And please know that I am not playing the "woe is me," pitiful, victimized little girl act--I accept responsibility that I allowed these men to use me on account of my naivete and refusal to face the reality of shady signs and signals staring me right in the face...this all played out and got very old by the time I turned 40). I so regret what happened in '96, but as everyone has stated here, I can't change it. Too much has occurred over too long a period of time, and one thing is for sure--he is not open to the depth of friendship we had twenty-four years ago--ASD or not.
Incidentally, I have been in therapy consistently for the past three years. I've had my doctorate since 2006, and I have my own foster care agency. I teach the youth at church, and I work with battered women's shelters. I've written about ten books (fiction and non-fiction ), I present at educational conferences, and I host a Blog Talk Radio Show. I'm not bragging by any means, but my heartache and lament over this situation is genuine and not due to the fact that I've succumbed to idle thoughts as time-wasters.
I've decided he will need to make the next contact--for my own peace of mind and sanity--if or when he is ready, but I'm not anticipating it at all. And if he does reach out ever again, it will need to be with actual words, as I will no longer initiate conversation that could be misinterpreted as me "chasing" him.
Again, thank you-all kindly.
Shae

Glad to be of assistance in helping you come to a decision on how to proceed. I wish you all the best.

It always seems like something is wrong with the other person. Reason for that is that you know what's going on inside you and can understand why you do what you do. Unless you can get inside the other person, you can't totally understand them. Sounds like he's cordial when he runs into you - that's the polite things to do. Let it go.

Good Evening, I appreciate all the advice. I am actually a School Counselor and Community Youth Therapist (ironic, I know, but it is a gift I believe God blessed me to use to help others, and I've been commended by parents and students for my efforts). I just have not done well at balancing my own life as an adult.
I believe he has ASD, I doubt he has any awareness of possibly having it, unless by some small chance he got my hint from the book recommendation I sent him written by the autistic pastor.
I'm going to take the easy way out on this one and agree with everyone. It's possible he doesn't want to be bothered with me at all anymore; it's possible he feels sorry for me because I am pursuing more frequent contact; it's possible he is not fully engaging with me due to communication issues. In short, any of these scenarios are possible.
I have only recently been assertively seeking more interaction with him since we reconnected in person in 2018. Prior to that time, I had not initiated any contact since college unless you count the long email I sent him in 2015 explaining why I stonewalled him in 1996. So, the "obsession" on my part--and I realize it may appear that way to some--is fairly recent, considering the span of time we've known each other. And I think that my obsequious behavior is because I have realized he is the only man who has ever respected my mind, body and heart and didn't try to deceive me or manipulate me for sexual pleasure or some other underlying motive. (And please know that I am not playing the "woe is me," pitiful, victimized little girl act--I accept responsibility that I allowed these men to use me on account of my naivete and refusal to face the reality of shady signs and signals staring me right in the face...this all played out and got very old by the time I turned 40). I so regret what happened in '96, but as everyone has stated here, I can't change it. Too much has occurred over too long a period of time, and one thing is for sure--he is not open to the depth of friendship we had twenty-four years ago--ASD or not.
Incidentally, I have been in therapy consistently for the past three years. I've had my doctorate since 2006, and I have my own foster care agency. I teach the youth at church, and I work with battered women's shelters. I've written about ten books (fiction and non-fiction ), I present at educational conferences, and I host a Blog Talk Radio Show. I'm not bragging by any means, but my heartache and lament over this situation is genuine and not due to the fact that I've succumbed to idle thoughts as time-wasters.
I've decided he will need to make the next contact--for my own peace of mind and sanity--if or when he is ready, but I'm not anticipating it at all. And if he does reach out ever again, it will need to be with actual words, as I will no longer initiate conversation that could be misinterpreted as me "chasing" him.
Again, thank you-all kindly.
Shae

You are extremely talented individual. Sounds like you came to a healthy choice for you. Sometimes the timing is wrong in life, we wish it wasn't but for one reason or many, the timing is all wrong.

Anyways- wish the best for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom