• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, I'm writing on here to get some help from others who have experienced this life first hand.

sandy

I'm looking for some ideas how to help a young undiagnosed child who though i'm not doctor I believe experiences Asperger's syndrome. He is not and will not become diagnosed because the other adults in his life believe the behaviors he has are defiant tantrums. I'm not convinced of that and am done trying to convince them of that so now I just want some people who have grown up misunderstood what were something's that stand out that helped you. This little boy is super book smart - at four he was reading very fluently at five now he's adding, subtracting, multiplying. The social piece is a huge struggle for him; change blows him out of the water things that appear little to outsiders set him into emotional turmoil like pants not feeling right that day (even if he's worn them before and been fine). He is headed to public school kindergarten this September and I want to try in the next few months help him somehow even if it's a little.

upload_2017-5-11_13-39-50.png

UGH. My parents were told to take me to a psychiatrist for an evaluation when I was in second grade by both my normal classroom teacher and my gifted class teacher. They instead pulled me out of public school and sent me to a fundamentalist Baptist private school. When I was a senior in high school, my principal wanted to have me evaluated by a psychologist, and instead my parents pulled me from that school mid year to finish high-school through a home-school program. How I wish I had been diagnosed in 2nd grade. I would have avoided so many painful experiences and made so many different life choices had I known.

School will bring out his problems and an astute teacher will probably notice. When this happens, be there to remind them of your observations.

Welcome Sandy. As a child I had lots of those; the biggest help was the Librarian, my Grandfather and Father, who understood me. A kind group of 'helping witnesses.'

Last edited:
I feel for your situation. It is really hard to watch someone suffer and not be able to help them, or get those who could to see that they can.
Have you considered having a word to his teacher?
The most helpful thing you can be is supportive.
Be someone who 'gets' them.
Be there when they have a meltdown and don't make a big deal about it.
Ask them how they are feeling and listen.
If it's the social aspects they are having trouble with, there are books about feelings, etc. that you could read together and talk about. Or just talk to them about what makes them feel anxious or misunderstood. Be someone they feel safe to talk to.

New Threads

Top Bottom