• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello! I'm looking for advice.

CorwinR

My name is Corwin and I am almost certain that I am autistic. The idea hadn't entered my mind until a few years ago, when a therapist I was seeing for a different reason suggested it to me and my mother. She then confirmed that she had suspected as much since I was a small child and this was a shocking revelation for me.

Since then, I have hesitated to accept that as my identity because I didn't want to use the term willy-nilly, which I think would be offensive to the autistic community. However, more recently, I have started watching a lot of videos on the subject and reading articles. So many things I had attributed to other personal aspects like my known ADD diagnosis, asexuality, and just personality quirks have clearly been autistic behaviors. I began to take notice of the compulsive stimming I have always done (tapping my shoulder, hugging myself, pacing the perimeter of a room, grinding my teeth, etc.), uncharacteristically blowing up over very minor things, extreme passions to the exclusion of most other things, an intense feeling of alienation from those around me, very slow comprehension of societal norms, unintentional bluntness or callousness, inability to effectively determine what is appropriate to say, oversharing, etc. Now it feels like I've cleaned the window into my mind and able to see myself clearly for the first time.

But, despite me accepting these things as evidence, I still want to be sure. I don't want to fly off half-cocked and misattribute ordinary behavior to a label I do not own. So, I want help to confirm this with people who know better. I can't really afford the medical diagnosis right now, but if my suspicions are rational, I will definitely seek one in the future.

Feel free to ask me anything!

12aa1ae3f43574ec477f1f327e4e2d10.png

Welcome. Some of us write pages and pages of our nuances.

Feel free to post and let us know how you are doing.

Welcome. You have given your life a lot of thought. I think that introspection and understanding the biases that ASD creates can be valuable in navigating life.

Diagnosed at 60, ASD is not my identity, though in many ways it has forged who I am. I enjoy my special interests and love sharing them with those who are interested and I used my diverse thinking and skills to have a good career that has allowed me an interesting life in retirement. Unlike some, I love the challenge of new experiences and seek out things that challenge my skill. However, I struggle with my sexuality that is strongly influenced by a cPTSD from social and sexual isolation as a teen and young adult. So, my ASD has been both a blessing and a curse.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive. Plenty of threads to read here that can help you understand autism better, while getting ideas from others about how they cope with challenges. Tell us your strategies too!

:strawberry::watermelon::pear::fishcake::cookie::shortcake::cherries::grapes::shavedice:

Hello & welcome.
So, I want help to confirm this with people who know better. I can't really afford the medical diagnosis right now, but if my suspicions are rational, I will definitely seek one in the future.
No one here can give you such a diagnosis.
It is okay to self-diagnose for argument's sake, though.
If you are in the USA (and your income is low enough), you can get medical assistance.

Autlanders, Thriving Outside of the Box: Finding Support Resources in the USA...

Welcome! I'm abrosexual and grey-aromantic, so I understand having asexuality. Any sort of diagnosis are valid, I know other autistics who have many symptoms similar to what you're describing and they still aren't diagnosed. You do seem to have many symptoms, and most other autistics I've encountered are fine with that. I hope you continue to learn more about yourself more.

Hello there CorwinR.

From your description, certainly seems likely that you are on the spectrum.

I have less obvious traits of asd, but surprisingly, the country I reside in, although not entertaining aspergers or females on the spectrum, I actually got a formal diagnosis a few year's ago now and I can say it is definitely worth persuing.

Just this last sunday, I took courage and went to a spiritual sister's home ( my faith) and confronted with 3 other sisters and felt extremely unsettled, but they were so nice and supportive, that I ended up explaining that I am on the spectrum and they did not question me and I believe it is because, I can say it with certainly, as I have that formal diagnosis. I still find it hard to be myself in front of people, so they would not have seen traits.

I tend to not be blunt with my words, as I have had experience of unintentinal bluntness and it was enough for me to live my life on tenderhooks, in case I offend.

Currently have about 4 obsessions on the go.

Hi Corwin, welcome to the forums! Yeah, you're pretty much an Aspie. We all have different personality traits, and there's no one way to be Autistic, but you seem to fit the bill.

P.S. Corwin is a great Celtic name. Is it your birth name?

Last edited:
My name is Corwin and I am almost certain that I am autistic. The idea hadn't entered my mind until a few years ago, when a therapist I was seeing for a different reason suggested it to me and my mother. She then confirmed that she had suspected as much since I was a small child and this was a shocking revelation for me.

Since then, I have hesitated to accept that as my identity because I didn't want to use the term willy-nilly, which I think would be offensive to the autistic community. However, more recently, I have started watching a lot of videos on the subject and reading articles. So many things I had attributed to other personal aspects like my known ADD diagnosis, asexuality, and just personality quirks have clearly been autistic behaviors. I began to take notice of the compulsive stimming I have always done (tapping my shoulder, hugging myself, pacing the perimeter of a room, grinding my teeth, etc.), uncharacteristically blowing up over very minor things, extreme passions to the exclusion of most other things, an intense feeling of alienation from those around me, very slow comprehension of societal norms, unintentional bluntness or callousness, inability to effectively determine what is appropriate to say, oversharing, etc. Now it feels like I've cleaned the window into my mind and able to see myself clearly for the first time.

But, despite me accepting these things as evidence, I still want to be sure. I don't want to fly off half-cocked and misattribute ordinary behavior to a label I do not own. So, I want help to confirm this with people who know better. I can't really afford the medical diagnosis right now, but if my suspicions are rational, I will definitely seek one in the future.

Feel free to ask me anything!

There are threads on this forum about many of the traits you listed. I was also surprised to learn that my seemingly unrelated characteristics might be related to autism. The traits you listed definitely sound like those of someone on the spectrum. I've learned that many people on the spectrum self-diagnose so I don't think you'll offend anyone if you refer to yourself as autistic prior to a formal diagnosis. It sounds like you've done your research. Some people choose never to get a formal diagnosis. I did just have one and it was helpful because I feel that I present differently than the stereotype. At the same time, it only confirmed what I knew deep down.

New Threads

Top Bottom