• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, I am a newbie from Detroit

Leo Zed

Hello,
I joined this forum about two months ago, but I was a little shy to introduce myself. So tonight I finally decided to give it a go. I was diagnosed with Asperger’s over ten years ago. I was treated for the most part of my life as having severe depression. There was something lacking from diagnosis, and so I was later diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder (which made no sense). I was put on a lot of meds that did more harm than good. Fortunately, I was weaned off a lot of meds, but I still struggle with depression, intense social anxiety, and ADD.

I love chemistry. I received a PhD in chemistry and eventually I became a professor. However, my career was cut short due to my inability to interact with my students and my fellow professors and everyone else in the department.

Anyway, I don’t know anyone with Asperger’s. I joined this forum in the hopes that I would meet people like me - people who would understand me. I spend too much time alone. Also, I want to get to know myself better. After my diagnosis, I was pretty much left in the dark. From what I have read through the posts here, everyone seems so kind and understanding. I hope to get to know you

welcome to af.png

Welcome!

Academia is an interesting place since it tends to be more accepting of people whom conventional society may deem to be unusual, and looking back, I've had some profs who were probably on the spectrum - unusually deep interest and familiarity in a niche and socially awkward. I suppose there can be a difference in general work experiences between those who are more on the teaching side and those who are more on the research side since they use different skill sets and levels of interaction.

What a great introduction! You sound lovely. I am about to graduate with a BS degree in biochemistry/molecular biology and I recently hit a bit of a wall in terms of the skill set required for independent research vs. studying. It turns out I am much better equipped for the latter, so I can see how being a professor and dealing with the rest of faculty/grants/organization would be very stressful and difficult to deal with for someone on the spectrum. I hope to see more of your posts on the forum, though I understand if you would prefer to keep lurking for the time being.

Welcome, once worked at a place full of PhD's your correct many looking back were probably Aspie's. Position did not suit me, testing lab, my specialty is fixing processes, not performing tests. At the time I did not know what an Aspie was, just that they were a bit eccentric.

Last edited:
Welcome @Leo Zed. I grew up in Hamtramck and the N. suburbs. My second research work (after a couple of years at U of M between my BS and grad school) was at the Michigan Cancer Foundation when it was at Warren and John R. I was pretty good working with people, and this was in the 70s when Autism was rarely diagnosed. I had to find ways of meeting the world and eventually accepting myself . . . but then, I desired a relationship and at 25 had never dated. (Who knew that 3 years later I would move to Chicago to be with the woman I would marry.)

All of us here have led interesting lives and adding your voice is quite positive.

Hi and welcome, a lot here will understand your challenges and have had similar. I hope you have found some work or projects you are enjoying? Teaching isn't for everyone, although there can be ways around some of the hurdles, for Aspies. But the academic boards etc are also challenging, in some ways you may be glad to have left all that behind?

I hope you will enjoy it here, and find it useful and supportive.

:herb::bug::fourleaf::seedling::blossom::leafwind::beetle::herb:

Hi Leo Zed,
I understand your struggle with depression and meds. I was Dx'd with Aspergers in 2011 while doing teacher training, after working for 35 years as a computer nerd. My whole work life has been filled with an inability to communicate and depression was a common issue for me. After teaching for 3 years I hit rock bottom and after a suicide attempt and being sectioned I was put on so many meds I felt like a zombie. I took about 3 attempts but finally got off the meds with some placibo natural medicine. Having people like this forum who understand without judging is really great, so I hope it helps you too.

Welcome @Leo Zed,...I am in the Grand Rapids area. I am a neonatal respiratory therapist working at the children's hospital. I also am an adjunct instructor for the respiratory care program in Kalamazoo.

BTW,...like the avatar,...serotonin, I believe. How appropriate.;)

Hey there! I'm a Dutch villager and a college dropout. I know a lot about e-commerce and furniture now. I would love to become better at maths, maybe we could set up a maths learning group for people like me who struggle. Especially calculus and complex algebra, stuff I never had at the Gymnasium.

People that do chemistry could later work in the industry or engineering, have you thought about that? Your knowledge is just too valuable to not use. It doesn't have to be in academia. I hope and wish you get better soon and find happiness after the sad.

Welcome to the Forums pal!

I totally understand your hesitation toward introductions. I also understand your plethora of diagnoses and medication, none of which seemed to quite fit the bill entirely. Our experiences are very similar there. In my short time here as I peruse threads both new and old, I have often found myself seeking your perspective on a topic. I have found it very interesting and thought-provoking.

@Neonatal RRT , Nice catch on the serotonin avatar. I’ve been wondering!

Hey there! I'm a Dutch villager and a college dropout. I know a lot about e-commerce and furniture now. I would love to become better at maths, maybe we could set up a maths learning group for people like me who struggle. Especially calculus and complex algebra, stuff I never had at the Gymnasium.

People that do chemistry could later work in the industry or engineering, have you thought about that? Your knowledge is just too valuable to not use. It doesn't have to be in academia. I hope and wish you get better soon and find happiness after the sad.

Welcome to the Forums pal!
Hi Zirk, Welcome! The idea of a Math group is great! Count me in! Math is definetely one of my passions and since (strangely enough) people don't really enjoy talking about Complex Numbers and Euler's formulas in bars and social gatherings (go figure. LOL !!!) I would love to have a group to talk about this kinda fun stuff!:tearsofjoy:

New Threads

Top Bottom