• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello everyone!

Sir Bedlam

Independent Writer and Game Developer
Hello,

I just recently joined this site, and I thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself here. My name is Jake. After having dealt with much anxiety and depression throughout my life, feeling like an outsider and struggling with the difficulties that come with Asperger's, it feels nice knowing I am among others who are in the same kind of boat.

I like animals, horror, and sound. I realize "sound" is pretty broad, but ever since I was little I've had a special interest in it. I always carried around a mini tape recorder that I was constantly recording sounds on, speeding them up/slowing them down, and using to make all kinds of sound effects and funny narratives.

For me sound can easily become overwhelming if there's too much, or painful if it's too high-pitched, but I find it so fascinating and comforting. I find a lot of my creativity in it. I'm curious to know if anyone can relate to this at all.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this place!

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Welcome Sir Bedlam!
I like horror and dark psychological thrillers too.
Also nature and animals. Some of my pets are on the strange side.
I have pet frogs that live in my enclosed pool area, and a super worm and darkling beetle
farm in my clothes wash room area. (frog food)
I would love to have an iguana out there with the frogs, but, I rent and landlord won't allow it.

Sounds like sounds is your art! You use sound like I would use oil paints.
I enjoy ambient sounds, rain, waterfalls, birds and ambient music. Although I love classic rock also. :D

Hello Jake,

I'm fond of horror also, I was a huge Stephen King fanboy back in the day and I still get interested in anything that seems weird and creepy. And animals are cool. They're a lot easier to figure out and keep happy than humans... once you've spent some time with them, at least.

Hi Jake

welcome to af.png

Hello Jake :)

welcome.

when you mention a sound being too high pitched,
are you talking about the likes of a violin getting so up there only dogs will be able to hear it should it get any higher,

(sorry can't read music, can't give you the notes name)
or are you talking about shrieks, screams or whistles? some home security or fire alarms?

Hello Jake :)

welcome.

when you mention a sound being too high pitched,
are you talking about the likes of a violin getting so up there only dogs will be able to hear it should it get any higher,

(sorry can't read music, can't give you the notes name)
or are you talking about shrieks, screams or whistles? some home security or fire alarms?
Actually, all of those things apply in one way or another. Recordings of things usually aren't as bad, but can still make me uncomfortable if they're loud enough. The higher the noise, the less it seems to matter whether it's a recording or not. I know it always drives me crazy in movies when home security alarms go off! Especially when it takes forever for one of the characters to deactivate it. When they do, my ears sort of 'pop' in a way, like they were freaking out the whole time and finally got to relax.

Also, speakers that produce too much treble really get to me, as well as the high-pitched ringing that old CRT televisions (and some light fixtures) emit. I remember having to leave the room once because the ringing from my sister's television was so loud and irritating, and I was trying to focus on something else. The funny thing is, no one else could hear it, even though I could still hear it from a different room.

New Threads

Top Bottom