• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello everyone.

Toby77

I am not the best at introductions but here I go.
I am a self suspected aspie for the past 2 years now. I have tolerated my social struggles for as far back as I can remember. But when I turned 27 I began to suffer major panic attacks. Mostly due to the fact that I would force myself into social situations thinking that practice makes perfect.......and it only became worse. So with a great deal of googling I stumbled upon this site. And from there I score a 171 out of 200. Now I'm just trying to work up the nerve to go in for a diagnosis. Anyway.....that's a clef note version of me is that I work with realtors during the day and avid woodworker in my spare time.

upload_2018-11-2_14-44-54.png

Hi and welcome! Getting a diagnosis doesn't have to be scary, in a way, it can provide some closure to the guessing and pave the way to acceptance and learning. Like you, I thought practice would make perfect but I developed social phobia instead, it just seems to get harder somehow. But, having said that, with the recent diagnosis, I've felt better and sort of... learned to go easier on myself and learned that it's ok to step back once in a while if it gets too much. It's slowly making those social situations more tolerable somehow.
In any case, you're in the right place. Have a read around, I'm sure you'll find many lovely people who share your experiences which will help you understand things better :)

Hi Toby77 and welcome. Yes, I also thought it would get easier the more often I do things, but it doesn't work that way. The reason therapists need to know if you're NT or ASD is to adjust therapy accordingly because things that work for NT's do not work for us.

Hi Toby77 and welcome. Yes, I also thought it would get easier the more often I do things, but it doesn't work that way. The reason therapists need to know if you're NT or ASD is to adjust therapy accordingly because things that work for NT's do not work for us.

Not necessarily true. Some things that work for NTs will work for some aspies.

Hi and welcome! Getting a diagnosis doesn't have to be scary, in a way, it can provide some closure to the guessing and pave the way to acceptance and learning. Like you, I thought practice would make perfect but I developed social phobia instead, it just seems to get harder somehow. But, having said that, with the recent diagnosis, I've felt better and sort of... learned to go easier on myself and learned that it's ok to step back once in a while if it gets too much. It's slowly making those social situations more tolerable somehow.
In any case, you're in the right place. Have a read around, I'm sure you'll find many lovely people who share your experiences which will help you understand things better :)
I am believing that I am headed in the direction of a phobia as well and I am grateful that I have found this site. Thank you for the input.

Not necessarily true. Some things that work for NTs will work for some aspies.

But some things won't ;)
Welcome @Toby77 to the forum. We'll do our best to be supportive and help you understand. Getting a diagnosis is always a good idea if you're of working age IMO. It takes away your own doubt and it can be useful later if you encounter problems in the workplace.
I hope you'd enjoy it here :)

But some things won't ;)
Welcome @Toby77 to the forum. We'll do our best to be supportive and help you understand. Getting a diagnosis is always a good idea if you're of working age IMO. It takes away your own doubt and it can be useful later if you encounter problems in the workplace.
I hope you'd enjoy it here :)
Thank you.

I am not the best at introductions but here I go.
I am a self suspected aspie for the past 2 years now. I have tolerated my social struggles for as far back as I can remember. But when I turned 27 I began to suffer major panic attacks. Mostly due to the fact that I would force myself into social situations thinking that practice makes perfect.......and it only became worse. So with a great deal of googling I stumbled upon this site. And from there I score a 171 out of 200. Now I'm just trying to work up the nerve to go in for a diagnosis. Anyway.....that's a clef note version of me is that I work with realtors during the day and avid woodworker in my spare time.
Hello Toby. I am in a similar situation. Self diagnosed well over 6 months ago. Still very raw and still trying to make sense of it. I promise you this site will be helpful and comforting. The people here are so kind and non judgmental, they help and don’t hinder which is just so refreshing and crucial I think when we are going through this. The kindness I feel here is like nothing I’ve felt in the outside world. So please enjoy the safety and loving space here. It’s priceless. In a world where I always feel I’ve said the wrong thing, here, people are not just accepting but encouraging. It’s soup for my soul. I hope it will be for you too Xx

Where do you get a ‘score’ from? Ive never heard of that before. I really don’t think realistically that I’ll ever try for an official diagnosis. I hate forms and appointments and doctors and I don’t see any real benefit to me in putting myself through the anxiety and stress etc but I’m curious to hear how you got that figure? X

Where do you get a ‘score’ from? Ive never heard of that before. I really don’t think realistically that I’ll ever try for an official diagnosis. I hate forms and appointments and doctors and I don’t see any real benefit to me in putting myself through the anxiety and stress etc but I’m curious to hear how you got that figure? X

Aspie Quiz

This is the one I have seen the most. Of coarse I know all of these test are speculative.

Hi Toby, I am familiar with panic attacks as well. Not fun. It interferes with my life. Welcome to the forum.
No they are not. When the first one struck I did not leave the house for 2 days. I have ended up in the hospital or at the doctor several times where they only they do is give me xanax, which really do help a lot. Especially with work. If I got to a dark quite room I can usually work through the mild ones.

New Threads

Top Bottom