• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello everyone!

hurley8

Hello! I am new to posting in forums about my mental health so I am not quite sure where to start. So here it goes...I have been researching online about the symptoms of autism and Aspergers and can relate to many of the female traits described in Aspergers. I never recognized these traits in myself until recently, I think that is mostly due to the fact that I was diagnosed with Bipolar 3 years ago and was obsessed about it because I felt like I had something I could put a name to for me feeling different. I have always felt different and off compared to others so getting a diagnosis of Bipolar for some reason made me feel better. That all changed when I went through the headaches of side effects that medication gave me and realized medicine wasn’t truly helping me as a person. Long story short I came across a few YouTube videos that some amazing women did about their symptoms with Aspergers and it kind of clicked with me. I’m very shy and have issues with anxiety socially. I’ve always been set in my ways of how I do things and how my room is decorated, otherwise I am stressed if it’s not my way... there are many other symptoms of Aspergers I identify with. But I don’t want to ramble too much right away anyways, hello everyone! I’m excited to chat with you all and appreciate any insight on your experiences with being diagnosed and what steps you took afterwards!

IMG_0478.PNG
welcome

Welcome, @hurley8! :)
Would you mind sharing some of them?
I always like learning about new experiences and perspectives on this.

@Ambi wrote a blog post about ASD YouTubers too: Some ASD Youtubers I have enjoyed watching | Asperger's & Autism Forum
Maybe there are some more you'll find interesting.

Yes I’d be happy to share! There are also a couple books I skim read that I could relate to in many ways so I’ll list those here as well :)

1) Anja Melissa has some videos that I really enjoyed and identified with particularly in this one

2) I read “I am Aspien Woman” by Tania Marshall. I enjoyed the brief excerpts from this book because I get impatient when I’m looking for information and I felt like it was really nicely laid out!

3) Rhiannon Salmons channel on YouTube was also great. She did an amazing video for autism awareness day last year and I appreciated her perspective as it was similar to my experiences as a child.

There was lots of great information I found on autismspeaks.org as well. If anyone has any other sources that they enjoyed I would love to learn or hear about it as well! :)

Welcome @hurley8! I am going through a similar exploration. There's lots of great stuff here and loads of people who 'get it'. Thank you for the YouTube links, I will have a look.

3) Rhiannon Salmons channel on YouTube was also great. She did an amazing video for autism awareness day last year and I appreciated her perspective as it was similar to my experiences as a child.
Alas lots of videos of hers are now gone and she won't say why. :(

New Threads

Top Bottom