• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello! Aspergers at 50!

Bianca

I was self diagnosed last month after a friend started noticing some quirky behavior and researched the AS characteristics. I did the rdos test and scored 137 Aspie. Truth be told, finding out was like a lightbulb turning on...many things and instances in my life suddenly made much more sense, including the pervading feeling that I am definitely not from this planet. I am the oldest of 8 and somewhat the odd woman out, and I expected my family to be supportive...of which they were not. They have been teasing me for my quirks for most of my life and I guess they felt like instead of the diagnosis explaining them, it was just another quirk. At any rate, their reaction has nothing to do with me and everything to do with them. I am happy to be an Aspie and to realize there's a reason for my quirks. I can now embrace them instead of feeling ashamed of them or wondering why I think the way I do (which seems so obvious to me, but not always to everyone else).
:p

I'm happy to have found this forum and look forward to learning lots more about all to this!

Hi Bianca and welcome,
I know that you will enjoy your new found freedom, as did I. It is great to know about ourselves and now we can start to really appreciate our unique perspective on life. I am glad that you joined us, and hope you will stick around long enough to become friends.
Peace

New Threads

Top Bottom