• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, and help?

Smoosh

Hi everyone,

I'm Smoosh, and I apologize in advance for what is likely going to be a more than usually intense "intro" post. I actually joined this forum because I am seeking help and support in understanding a person on the spectrum who is important to me, and having lurked a bit, I'm hoping that maybe the kind people of this community might be able to lend me some perspective.

A little bit about me: I am not on the spectrum, but depending on your medical perspective, may or may not be totally neurotypical myself (I have been identified by numerous mental health providers as an HSP, or highly sensitive person - and some people studying this phenomenon posit it as the "opposite" of ASD, while others have noted that the sensory processing anomalies in people like me actually quite closely resemble some of the "unusual" sensory processes of people with ASD, so . . . tough to say). I mention this simply to lay the groundwork for what was an extraordinary sense of kinship with a person whose actions I now struggle to understand.

This person I'm writing about is a man I started working with in 2014. We'll call him B. From the moment I met him, I could tell that something about him was out of the ordinary, and I have long suspected some form of Aspergers/high-functioning autism (notably awkward body language, frequently walks away from people who are talking to him in the middle of conversations, socially extremely awkward, impossible to tell him a joke because he takes it all literally and never seems to infer what the joke is about, etc., the list goes on and on). But he also reacted to having social slights he'd committed explained to him - like if it could be represented to him cerebrally, why X person felt bad about Y thing he said, he could be very compassionate and apologetic. So it was obvious to me that he just wasn't picking up on certain things. Given my emotionally attuned nature, I found myself quickly filling in the "cracks" between him and others; I served as a kind of "translator" for B, where even though he and our other colleagues shared a mother tongue and culture which I did not (this happened in a non-Anglophone country where I was a foreigner), I still seemed to pick up what he was trying to communicate while others were totally puzzled, and I was able to convey his intentions to our colleagues in a way they understood. I frequently did this in front of him, and he showed a definite appreciation for this help. Over time, I grew very fond and protective of him, and we became quite close. He was my boss at this workplace, but more than that he was also a mentor. We'd meet after work to do professional stuff at the workplace, and frequently stay until midnight or later.

I was absolutely shocked to find over time that no one close to B - not even his wife, who we'll call C - seemed to have even considered that he might have ASD. They all seemed to just think he was some kind of intractable "weirdo" who they'd just all gotten used to (granted, this all happened in a different country where it seems to me that they don't really talk about ASD much). Without getting into even more time-consuming explanations, it was clear that, over time, B was trusting and vulnerable with me in a way that he wasn't with others, and that my understanding of him must be something he did not normally experience. This relationship was extremely intense and clearly of immense personal value to us both - I'd readily go so far as to say that we loved each other (we are both performing artists, so professional connections which become intensely personal are not unheard of). Performing together was magic in a way that neither of us had experienced before - even others could sense this. For me, this was not romantic; since he was both my boss and a married man, that option was never on the table in my mind. In retrospect, for him I think it might have been, though (more on that later - I am, for the record, a woman).

Enter our mutual colleague, another of my "bosses", just lower in status than B; we'll call him D. This guy gave me the creeps just about as soon as I met him. I grew up around a lot of personality disordered people, so I am sensitive to that energy; and it was clear within days of meeting him that this guy had a deep, malicious cruelty to him. However, in contrast to B, he was clearly quite socially sensitive, a really slimy manipulator. Within 2 months of my arrival at my new job, he sexually assaulted me at our workplace, late at night after a performance. I fought, slapping him repeatedly, and managed to convince him that if he kept up this rape attempt I'd start using my fists. He's a coward, so he left (definitely wasn't because he felt remorse - he kept sneakily pinching my butt and verbally bullying me at work for months after). After a few months, when D went on a year-long leave, I worked up the courage to report him. And that's when everything went to hell.

To try to put it as short as possible: B and D had been "friends" for many years before I arrived in our shared workplace/country - indeed, B had gotten D his job there. When I told B what happened (around the time I reported D), at first he seemed incredibly shocked and upset about it. He really seemed to be on my side, clearly saw that what D had done was not ok. He seemed totally disgusted by D. But then our company went on a work trip (I was not on this trip, and neither was D) and when he came back, B was totally different. He ultimately ended up taking D's side - even though D apparently ADMITTED that he'd done what I said he did - and I lost my job, my residence permit in the country, everything. It was a crippling blow to my career. B could have intervened or advocated on my behalf - he had huge sway in our workplace, even over D. But he did nothing to help me.

The other two people in our specialized group (which was comprised of myself, B, D, and two others) were quite manipulative, and very much invested in the "boys' club" power games of our highly male-dominated field (and even more male-dominated little group). I suspect that B told them what I had said, and that they played a role in B's sudden change during the tour. I also suspect that B's wife, C, noticed his interest in me and became jealous, and probably influenced his perception of me.

My trouble is this: I cannot seem to decide how to "process" what B did; I am struggling to draw the line between what was just him being a jerk, and what might be explained by ASD, given that he is surrounded by people who if anything are actively against him sympathising with me in this situation. I would be lying if I said that he didn't also have his own selfish, shadow side: as soon as someone with prestigious connections in our field sat next to him he suddenly seemed to develop all kinds of social skills, and interact smoothly no problem. At the same time, I know that he wasn't faking his affection or deep care with me. I would like more than anything to just dismiss B as a terrible person, who was always just out for himself - but I can't seem to do that. I tried to confront him at the time, to represent to him what he was doing and why it was inappropriate - but the rest of the boys' club group was there at the time and the whole focus of the conversation just got turned around to be about how they were the victims and how "unfair" it was of me to make them uncomfortable by reporting the assault, and expecting them to deal with it appropriately. B repeatedly said he just wanted things to go "back to normal". How could he just drop all apparent care for me like that?

What am I missing? This whole thing came crashing down in December 2015, when B and I performed together for the last time. I haven't seen him since. Just last week I checked his Facebook, to see if maybe time and perspective had created some kind of perceptible change in his feelings toward D, and me - but nope, he had just posted a bunch of photos with D, praising him, talking about how happy he was to see him, etc. How can he possibly be doing this? I know he has his own dark faults, and I fully believe that he is surrounded by many manipulative people, who if anything would prefer to sabotage our connection - but at the same time he is an adult, and I cannot believe that he was faking the investment in the relationship we had.

I know that moment-to-moment empathy can be a struggle for people with ASD, but is such conscienceless behaviour really a part of that? Do people with ASD struggle with basic morality? Is it just easy for people on the spectrum to turn their back on someone they've professed love for so callously? Or is this guy just a dink? Please help :(.

"What am I missing?" is what I was wondering at the end, too!

It sounds like we're missing important information: whatever happened on the trip and whatever people have been telling him.

People with ASD don't struggle with basic morality. In fact, it's often the opposite. We tend to follow rigid moral codes. Conscienceless behavior is rare for us, as far as I know, and I've read HSP as being associated with ASD, with several of us having discussed that very topic here.

One guess that came to mind is an idea you hinted at, which is that people who have influence over him explained to him "what really happened," and explained to him "the truth about you," or something along those lines.

Maybe his job was threatened if he didn't go along with what they said?
Maybe he was made afraid to believe and/or associate with you?

The thing about his sudden ability to socialize properly--I can do that and do it when I have to or want to, but it's exhausting and involves full awareness of every movement, inflection, word, etc.

I don't know how exactly loving the relationship was that you describe, but if it's the same feelings he had as I have towards my favorite people, it would take something powerful for me to just forget that.

Sorry if you mentioned it, but for how long was the relationship good? I can have intense, seemingly attached relationships with people for a matter of months or less and then just forget it immediately and feel nothing. But if it was intense longer than that, then I don't know.

No need to be sorry; we get lots of people that come and join to get help and support in better understanding their loved ones who're on the spectrum

also, Welcome! :)

Hi @Smoosh & welcome to the community :
Based on the limited information you have given, I am very doubtful that "B" is autistic. Far more likely he is simply alexithymic which is quite common in allistic people (approx 1 in 10).

Alexithymia is a personality construct characterized by the subclinical inability to identify and describe emotions in the self. The core characteristics of alexithymia are marked dysfunction in emotional awareness, social attachment, and interpersonal relating. Furthermore, people with alexithymia have difficulty in distinguishing and appreciating the emotions of others, which is thought to lead to unempathic and ineffective emotional responding. Alexithymia occurs in approximately 10% of the population and can occur with a number of psychiatric conditions

Since around half of autistic people are also alexithymic, it's an easy mistake to make. Being so easily led and being an integral part of the "boy's club" you describe, doesn't sound very autistic at all (though not impossible).
Since "D" admitted his behaviour since, "B" siding against the victim as has happened here, is a behaviour few autistic people would be likely to exhibit.

Alexithymia & autism | Embrace ASD

Last edited:
Sorry if you mentioned it, but for how long was the relationship good? I can have intense, seemingly attached relationships with people for a matter of months or less and then just forget it immediately and feel nothing. But if it was intense longer than that, then I don't know.

Thank you so much for your response - it really means a lot to me to hear from you guys :).

This is a good question: while I undoubtedly felt like one of B's "favourite people", as you put it, telling exactly how long the relationship was good is a bit tricky, because things happened gradually. I think that it also became "good" or at least significant/intense for us at different times.

For me, it was professionally extraordinary (for better and worse) right away, but only became personally close gradually, over time. When I first met him I was incredibly uncomfortable around him basically constantly - as a deeply empathic person, seeing him wildly flailing and missing the social mark all the time was excruciating. It was very much like the emotional cocktail of "I'm embarrassed for you and want to save you" and "for the love of god get me out of here!" that one can experience when watching a comedian who isn't funny. It was actually seeing his and C's relationship, and being totally baffled as to what they had in common, and what C (as a highly socially sensitive person) could be seeing in him that inspired me to really watch him closely and try to detect whatever it was that made "them" make sense. Only then was I really able to move past the discomfort of being around him, and start to pick up on his emotional identity in a more nuanced way. I don't know if she was really drawn to him for the earnest, sweet qualities that I found, but I certainly did find them.

It's also tricky to say for me, because this close, intense contact between B and I was only out in the open when we were alone together, or when we were having some kind of interaction that involved just us (performing on stage, or having a one-on-one conversation at a party, for example). There was a great deal of intense "energetic" communication that happened between us regardless, but it was all under the surface and we never talked about that openly (I know that whole sentence might sound weird, but welcome to HSP land . . . ). In retrospect, I think he was really quite closed off to the people around him at work - like for some reason he enforced an extremely rigid divide between his personal acquaintances and his colleagues, even though there was overlap between those two groups, so it sort of depended on the context in which he was engaging with you what version of him you got. All that being said, I'd say that, for me, this relationship really flourished for about . . . 6 months?

For him, though, I honestly don't know. I first met him 7 months prior to actually landing a job with him, and had actually spoken to him on the phone briefly years prior (my then-most-recent-ex had previously been a colleague of his in another country, another workplace, and had called him on his wedding day to congratulate him). Both of these instances just seemed like unremarkable, actually rather awkward interactions, of little meaning to me. He, on the other hand, would bring them up and tell stories about our first meeting, and even this phone conversation, over and and over again, as though they were very significant moments. When I first met him, he kept saying something along the lines of "we're so alike" or "most people are not like that, but you and I are". I thought he was out of his mind, since I saw nothing in common between us (though in light of the connection/understanding we later developed, I guess he was onto something). The point is, he demonstrated a pronounced fascination with me right from the beginning - though I'm very good at what I do, and I deserved the job I got with him, I know that I got it in large part because he decided all the way back 7 months prior to my actually starting to work there that he wanted me there. So it's kind of hard to say how long the relationship might have been "good" to him, since some kind of investment or engagement on his side seems to have come before what I would call "the good times". If I judged it from first meeting, that would make almost a year.

I don't know, but from my own experience, my autistic father was utterly hopeless at advocating on my behalf whenever I was abused.
When told I'd likely been sexually abused, as a child, by mental health professionals, he did absolutely nothing, likewise when told by myself that my mother was abusive to me (which he has also experienced, he was even advised to leave her when pregnant with me, by his therapist and they separated when I was two) he was utterly ineffectual and made excuses for her ( still does) and would tell me "Be good for your mother"; most heatbreaking. I've suffered much, from this lack of support.

I think, in complex and threatening or intimidating social situations, people suffering from ASD can simply freeze and find themselves lacking the social know-how to stand up for victims, sometimes. It's not malicious it's just fear and lack of nuanced social skills.

I'm sorry this happened to you, it sounds heartbreaking and very unfair.

P.S. I'm a ex musical performance artist myself and I understand the bonds that form with those you play with. I've also experienced the heartbreak of betrayal from people I thought were good friends that I had many an amazing gig with. :hug:'s with some sympathy and empathy besides.

It's so hard to say without knowing much of anything about his thoughts, feelings, and experiences, so I'll just say that I have had many very close relationships which suddenly ended and I felt nothing. I've had many instances in which someone I used to work with, go to school with, etc. either runs into me or wants to meet up with me and they miss me very much and I hadn't thought about them at all. And then there are some people that I will miss forever even if they never actually disappear from my life.

So I guess it's certainly possible he just didn't care once it ended. Alexithymia would definitely make sense, especially if that were the case. It wouldn't necessarily disqualify ASD, but it could. Being friends with those guys could be desperation for friends, and if they treat him a particular way, I could see it being a realistic scenario to have ASD and have this happen.

Based on the limited information you have given, I am very doubtful that "B" is autistic. Far more likely he is simply alexithymic which is quite common in allistic people (approx 1 in 10).

Since around half of autistic people are also alexithymic, it's an easy mistake to make. Being so easily led and being an integral part of the "boy's club" you describe, doesn't sound very autistic at all (though not impossible).
Since "D" admitted his behaviour since, "B" siding against the victim as has happened here, is a behaviour few autistic people would be likely to exhibit.

This is quite interesting - I've never heard of this before! Looking at the link you posted, some of this definitely sounds like B. Going into this area in particular, I'm curious what you'd think (being someone who certainly seems to know more than me about this phenomenon):

As I mentioned, B did demonstrate a definite capacity for empathy - but in what could seem like a very particular way. I remember telling him once about having had a panic attack on stage (I was struggling with anxiety in many other areas of life at the time and an event that day contributed to this panic attack). Upon telling him, he related that his mother had had an anxiety disorder, and was clearly sympathetic, asking if there was anything he could do, etc.. What was more noteworthy, though, was that weeks later, when we were alone together, he brought it up again, more or less saying "I was thinking more about what you told me, and I thought about how I would feel in your position, and I would feel ____. Is that how you felt?" He also brought it up again at a later date, saying that he thought maybe his behaviour that day could have contributed to my anxiety (it had; though I never said anything to him about it), and saying that he wanted me to know he would "accept it" if I felt that he had been wrong. So something about this really stuck with him, and he continued to mull over it for at least a month, if not maybe more. Notably, when I told him about D's assault on me, one of his earliest reactions was "I wonder if it was my fault - because I was hard on him when he was first here and maybe he's taking my aggression out on you". It was a touching, if quite strange, reaction to such news (B had not even been in the building when it had taken place, so there was no literal way it could have anything to do with him).

B seemed to me to be consistently trying to get people to engage with him, and searching the world for people with whom he could form some kind of connection; if anything, I'd say that he seemed almost desperate for this kind of bond with others (thus the painful awkwardness of watching him flail and "miss" the cues others were sending out). He also seemed to have a desire to be led, somehow; though his presence could be totally domineering, both artistically and personally I often felt that he was actually looking to me for guidance. This sort of coincides with the way he spoke about himself, when we'd be alone together: when he opened up a bit, he seemed to be quite aware that he was constantly missing things that the people around him were picking up. He was clearly very ashamed of this, and emotional statements like "I blew it again", or "I always say the wrong thing, I just can't do it right" or "I always hurt the people I care about" were not uncommon when he and I were alone together. Overall he seemed to just not trust that he could do it, and if I had to hazard a guess, he seemed to have given up and just displaced the responsibility for making sound judgements in certain areas onto others. His wife, C, seemed to take a particularly active role in this; she would even go so far as to tell him who to text, who to invite to parties, how things he was saying were making him (and her) look. She seemed to act as his PR person, and was quite invested in directing his behaviour so that it would reflect well on them and work for her (I once went to a birthday party of his, and aside from me, everyone there was a friend of C's, with very little connection to B at all). Thus my suspicions that she might have had something to do with his turning away from me. When I told him about what D did to me, one of the first things he said was "C tells me that my face doesn't look very caring sometimes, but I want you to know I really care and it hurts me to hear this, even if my face doesn't look like it". So he seemed to rely quite heavily on others to tell him whether he was "doing it right" or not.

At the same time, not long after I told him about the sexual assault, he related how once he and C had been on a vacation in Thailand, and how the prevalence of child prostitution and sexual tourism had been very evident. He described seeing old German men on the beach with young Thai girls who were openly crying . . . but what he seemed to be communicating was more "It was so unfair, it ruined our nice vacation" rather than "It was horrifying to know these children were being exploited". I was so shocked by this apparent lack of moral priorities I didn't really know what to say. Surely he's heard at some point that "child rape=bad"?! B is in his 40's now, and to this day how he could be so tender and anxious to show care, then so pathologically selfish in the same sentence . . . it really blows my mind. Normally hearing something like that, I'd conclude that the person I was speaking with might be a psychopath/narcissistic personality disorder, but his energy and behaviour just never had that . . . "flavour" to it.

(For reference, I have cut both my parents and most of my siblings out of my life for psychopathic, abusive behaviour, so I KNOW what it is to have to cut someone close to you out when they just can't be trusted . . . do why I am struggling here is still quite a mystery to me . . . )

I don't know, but from my own experience, my autistic father was utterly hopeless at advocating on my behalf whenever I was abused.
When told I'd likely been sexually abused, as a child, by mental health professionals, he did absolutely nothing, likewise when told by myself that my mother was abusive to me (which he has also experienced, he was even advised to leave her when pregnant with me, by his therapist and they separated when I was two) he was utterly ineffectual and made excuses for her ( still does) and would tell me "Be good for your mother"; most heatbreaking. I've suffered much, from this lack of support.

I think, in complex and threatening or intimidating social situations, people suffering from ASD can simply freeze and find themselves lacking the social know-how to stand up for victims, sometimes. It's not malicious it's just fear and lack of nuanced social skills.

I'm sorry this happened to you, it sounds heartbreaking and very unfair.

P.S. I'm a ex musical performance artist myself and I understand the bonds that form with those you play with. I've also experienced the heartbreak of betrayal from people I thought were good friends that I had many an amazing gig with. :hug:'s with some sympathy and empathy besides.

Thanks for your support. I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you, too :( . I know how to cut malicious people out of my life - and selfishness and cowardice are certainly types of malice, though many try to escape accountability for them. But something about dealing with these actions coming from a person who is clearly impaired in some way or another has just been about the hardest thing I've ever experienced. I guess I continue to feel that maybe I have some responsibility to "explain" it to him, or "help" him in some way to cope with it all properly; like maybe there's something I could do, and *I* could somehow be the one throwing an extraordinary relationship away if I don't find a way to represent it to him. I guess it could also be a little bit of a saviour complex: I'm so sure he COULD understand, and I want so much for him to be redeemed in some way . . . but at the same time, he's an adult who manages plenty of his own affairs in other areas, and if he WANTED to understand, surely it would have shown. Very tough indeed :( .

If this is his tendency and you did manage to "save him," I imagine it would just happen again in another form? Maybe?

It's so hard to say without knowing much of anything about his thoughts, feelings, and experiences, so I'll just say that I have had many very close relationships which suddenly ended and I felt nothing. I've had many instances in which someone I used to work with, go to school with, etc. either runs into me or wants to meet up with me and they miss me very much and I hadn't thought about them at all. And then there are some people that I will miss forever even if they never actually disappear from my life.

So I guess it's certainly possible he just didn't care once it ended. Alexithymia would definitely make sense, especially if that were the case. It wouldn't necessarily disqualify ASD, but it could. Being friends with those guys could be desperation for friends, and if they treat him a particular way, I could see it being a realistic scenario to have ASD and have this happen.

Man it would break my heart if that were the case. There's no way for me to know, but this insight is certainly helpful. I would say for sure that there was a period after his choice was made clear, and he was still trying to push for the same friendliness between us that had been there before - like he could just have his cake and eat it too. I would also say that there was definitely a tense "transition" period where I could see him cluing in to the fact that he wasn't going to get that anymore, and it obviously pained him. Sometimes this manifested as sadness, and other times it manifested and anger or hostility, but the rejection from me always seemed to be the trigger. Whether that means he continued to care, just in a very infantile way, or whether that means he never "truly" cared in the first place I really don't know.

I think you're definitely onto something when it comes to him being desperate to keep his boys' club "friends" around. Many of the more personal stories he'd share with me related to never belonging anywhere, always being laughed at - so I can imagine that in this comfortable environment, where he got to be a little emperor who everyone at least superficially adored (and it WAS, largely, superficial) could be a very tough thing for him to let go of.

If this is his tendency and you did manage to "save him," I imagine it would just happen again in another form? Maybe?

Yes, that's my guess. C seemed to be constantly angry and dissatisfied with him. I can imagine that maybe she thought she'd mold him in her image, like a kind of blank canvas, and that would be that. But it seemed a constant thing to police and direct his behaviour. I don't think she really understood the difficulties he had the way that I did (sometimes it seemed she hardly knew him), but I can imagine that my impulse is essentially another form of the same trap that she fell into.

(Sorry for the mixed art metaphors :p )

Also, another thing worth noting is that he didn't display this "malleability" in every area: on the contrary, he was quite notorious for standing up in the middle of rehearsal and yelling at other colleagues about what he felt they needed to do better, or why something wasn't working, in a way that would be FLAGRANTLY unacceptable coming from anyone else. They seemed to have grown accustomed to it, as I guess he just couldn't be bashed into adhering to the unspoken (and in some cases spoken!) rules about how to conduct oneself with others in the workplace.

I'd view malleability as more indicative of ASD than that! Now he sounds confident, demanding, scary, outgoing, etc. :eek: I almost feel as if I'm confused and you're referring to someone else and I mixed people up.

I'd view malleability as more indicative of ASD than that! Now he sounds confident, demanding, scary, outgoing, etc. :eek: I almost feel as if I'm confused and you're referring to someone else and I mixed people up.

Oh, it's not strange that you're feeling confused. B is a pretty contradictory and confusing person . . . part of why it's hard for me to understand and "file" him any which way, I guess.

These outbursts of his, while frequently inappropriate, never felt malicious - like he was never trying to put anyone down or intimidate them. It really just seemed like he felt he was right (he often was) and was just kind of having a bit of a toddler meltdown about it. He could be pretty emotionally volatile in general; not like shouting or anything, but one day chatty and effusive (in his awkward way), and the next day clearly in a foul mood, totally nonverbal, giving irritable one-word responses, if anything. His moods could fill the whole room, and as an HSP this could be incredibly overwhelming at times. It was like his emotional regulation was all out of whack, as well as his social awareness/skills . . . I don't know if that's an ASD thing. The outbursts definitely seemed like it just didn't occur to him to take any other route with his frustration but the most direct, literal one.

It's incredibly fascinating reading the oscillating views about how I'm representing him here. Now I feel like I'm not totally nuts for being so confused about him! :p

Oh, it's not strange that you're feeling confused. B is a pretty contradictory and confusing person . . . part of why it's hard for me to understand and "file" him any which way, I guess.

These outbursts of his, while frequently inappropriate, never felt malicious - like he was never trying to put anyone down or intimidate them. It really just seemed like he felt he was right (he often was) and was just kind of having a bit of a toddler meltdown about it. He could be pretty emotionally volatile in general; not like shouting or anything, but one day chatty and effusive (in his awkward way), and the next day clearly in a foul mood, totally nonverbal, giving irritable one-word responses, if anything. His moods could fill the whole room, and as an HSP this could be incredibly overwhelming at times. It was like his emotional regulation was all out of whack, as well as his social awareness/skills . . . I don't know if that's an ASD thing. The outbursts definitely seemed like it just didn't occur to him to take any other route with his frustration but the most direct, literal one.

It's incredibly fascinating reading the oscillating views about how I'm representing him here. Now I feel like I'm not totally nuts for being so confused about him! :p

Now he sounds a lot like my brother, who I'm also confused about! Sometimes I think autistic, sometimes I think narcissistic, sometimes I think borderline, sometimes I think dumb and mean, sometimes some combination of things...so I understand your confusion!

I was thinking, "is he narcissistic?" too.
He sounds very immature and that CAN be a byproduct of ASD.

I was thinking, "is he narcissistic?" too.
He sounds very immature and that CAN be a byproduct of ASD.

Yeah, I had the impression that he might have had ASD, and grown up in an environment where this simply isn't even considered, let alone talked about (the culture in the country where he's from/this all happened is very cold - even married couples frequently seemed to know nothing about one another, and appearances were the absolute most important thing, so I can imagine that the "embarrassment" of acknowledging something like this would be such that people would refuse to even think about it). It seemed to me at the time that he just never got the support or help he needed, and so instead of developing he just ended up stunted and displacing responsibility for all the things he "couldn't do" onto others. It's such a sad waste; he was clearly striving for connection basically constantly, and especially if ASD is part of the picture, the things he seems to struggle with are TOTALLY addressable. I mean, he'll never be "average" (wouldn't want him to be!), but there are supports, tools, and education for people like him, if anyone around him would just recognize that he's got genuinely different channels of processing. I think that's where some of my "saviour" feelings came from: I fully believed that he COULD find the warmth and bonds he seemed to be so desperately seeking, with just a little bit of education and understanding - enough people around him understanding him enough to hold him accountable for what he actually COULD do, and providing him with the tools to do it. He seemed so capable - just not on his own, and absolutely no one around him seemed to clue into the fact that he needed help. A very isolated person.

As it was, though, it seems he just took the "well I can't, so I won't even try/it's your problem now" approach and just kind of barrelled through things, expecting others to get out of the way, and feeling helpless, dejected and kind of victimized when someone he actually cared about got trampled. While he never struck me as personality disordered, I think it would be perfectly fair to say that he porbably developed some pretty juvenile, selfish coping mechanisms, making a degree of narcissism a sort of comorbid condition :/ .

New Threads

Top Bottom