1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Heavy heart... Feeling beaten up...

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Sherlock77, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Everything

Two or three weeks of rail blockades here in Canada are getting me down, so widespread across the country and directly effecting the economy and trade, getting worse by the day... Farmers who can't move their grain and are losing money fast... People in Quebec who are having trouble getting propane to heat their homes (in mid-winter)... A tradesman who can't work because his supplies aren't on the shelf... Some in gov't leadership who are doing nothing

Whether I watch the news or not, this is still the reality, I am currently unemployed for a month now, freaked about (a little) about the future because of how Alberta feels like it's going down the tubes

Got an e-mail today from church, a long-time member who died suddenly last night from a collapse at home, he died quite young only in his 60's

Went to a poetry reading tonight for Black History Month, a lady who is an activist being very negative who was the MC, I felt she was far too negative, I just felt very heavy, "had to" leave slightly early partially because of that

Got home to another e-mail from church, the son of a long-time church member who has struggled with cancer for several years now, being rushed to hospital with bad seizures

Etc... I'm trying to force myself to be positive, but I'm struggling with it, everything around me is falling apart, back to the rail blockades, as only small numbers of activists are shutting down everything, including supply lines for all sorts of products...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 8
  2. RockyMountainAidan

RockyMountainAidan New Member

This is sad and honestly, I'm not sure anyone can really do much to help, especially me of all people. But I've been through hard things, and the only thing I can say is don't lose hope.

The world goes downhill, people die, jobs are lost, but they always get better as long as we try. Plus, there are so many positive things that happen all around us. But I think people will be here, including me is you need.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Sherlock77

I'm also sharing simply because I need to get it off my chest, there is no easy solution to anything :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Rayner

Rayner Well-Known Member

For what's I'm carrying the same struggles as you are, for me it seems the world is falling around my ears.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FreeDiver

FreeDiver How long can you hold your breath? V.I.P Member

That would explain all the Canadian trains on the rail here recently. They must be sending their trains down here to the US to get around that blockade.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

Sorry to hear that. The rail blockades is dismal and disheartening. Thought Canada was better off then us.
    Thought you were working. The job situations are bad everywhere. People turn so cut throat for the few crappy jobs left on the planet. I really wonder how we get by.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

This sounds difficult. Rail strikes hit worse in winter. Still, independent of all that, this is a potential planning and scheming time for you, and some free time too, don't get sidetracked onto worries. The spring will come, and what interesting ideas have you got for what to do next? Will it include investing time in your photography?

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. WoodWorkingJoel

WoodWorkingJoel Active Member

To quote people smarter than me "this too shall pass"

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Sherlock77

It's not a strike, but a blockade by activists at key points, pinching supply lines across the country, and no one wants to touch them (fear of violence)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I don't understand why activists say they are trying to help when they do things that hurt so many others.

I understand all the negatives getting you down - when you have those days that seem like everywhere you look, it's all you see. It makes it hard to be upbeat. I hope things turn around soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. oregano

oregano Your time will come...

Rail blockades? I don't follow Canadian news at all, and I haven't read anything about this via the news aggregators I follow. What is it about anyway? I've heard that Canada is in a bad recession/depression. The US is too except they have lied about the numbers for ages so nobody really knows what's going on. I just hope I can be reasonably self-sufficient before this party arrives in the US.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sherlock77

A natural gas pipeline that has been approved 100%, a small number of first nations/natives who don't want it plus some other activists who have blocked access, including rail, plus other people across the country (and most media says people from other countries) who are blocking in rail in support, all told they aren't that big in number, they are very anti-development of anything... And they are basically holding the country hostage... Some of this crosses over into political perhaps, but the reality is that the supply chain for shipment of goods and products for both export and import, plus within the country is strangled...

One lady called into a radio talk show last night, saying that a friend of hers, who is a single dad tradesman, couldn't do his job because basic supplies are sold out and not being re-stocked because of the blockade, how many more stories like that are out there?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. oregano

oregano Your time will come...

So I hit Google, and it seems as if all Justin Trudeau can do is say "well, we need to talk", problem is there's no one authority to talk to, the native tribe in question has two parallel governance structures, an elected council and a traditional chieftain structure of hereditary chiefs, and they're all pointing fingers at each other over who is in charge, and then there are other native tribes involved, and then there are Caucasian sympathizers in the mix too, and everybody has different demands they want met. And Trudeau just sits in Ottawa and blathers while the Canadian economy literally implodes. In another week or two there might be food and water shortages. In America such a situation would have gone on for a week maximum until Trump sent the army in to crack skulls.

I personally have wondered about USA's transportation chokepoints, and about a small number of saboteurs being able to cut off food shipments to large areas of the country with a few bombs. I've actually pored over atlases and identified maybe 8 or 9 main transportation chokepoints. Blow those up and most of the country would be starving within a couple days. I've wondered why the Muslims keep wanting to blow up airplanes when a terror attack such as I outlined would quickly bring the country to its knees.

14. Sherlock77

Now you know why I'm depressed... :rolleyes: One opposition gov't MP has predicted that Quebec will run out of propane by March 3rd, which is the main fuel for heating homes in that part of Canada, and yes, it's still winter and cold temperatures...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. TopherPwn

TopherPwn Active Member

Times might seem hard, but hard times only make good times that much better. Don't worry about it. You should follow and focus on things that make you happy. They're nothing wrong with feeling sad, heavy, or rough times. This advice might sound silly, but hopefully you get lost in your next time or happiness! Have a nice week!

16. NecroCurator

NecroCurator Well-Known Member

The activists are right though. It is interesting how you are so ready to pity well-off bourgeois but not the small people who are trying to use the only leverage they have and for a good cause to boot. Sounds curiously selective to my ears.

17. AloneNotLonely

AloneNotLonely Well-Known Member

Yea... your points seem... not-lefty-Canadian-carebear.

Not too familiar with the natives in Canada... but it seems to me like these people already don't have much and now government and big business (god I'm sounding so Commie) want to take away the very few things they do have through blatant disregard for their property rights (Yes! Back to Capitalism). Government sanctioned violence in order to push through plans is not how you should approach development.